What's new

Since the Dreamcast is taking a final bow, I need some game recommendations (1 Viewer)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I was browsing Amazon's games department, and noticed that several DC games that originally went for $40 and up are now priced down to $10. Since I hadn't bought any games in awhile, I decided to take advantage of the situation and buy about 5 new games.
However, I would like to expand my DC library further while the games are still available. So I am looking for some game recommendations...here's what I own:
Blue Stinger
Crazy Taxi
Dino Crisis
Evil Dead: Hail to the King (sorry, bought this in a moment of weakness)
Gauntlet Legends
Jet Grind Radio
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Maken X
NFL2K
NHL2K
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Shenmue
Sonic Adventure
Star Wars - Episode I: Jedi Power Battles
Sword of the Beserk
Virtua Tennis
As you can tell, I highly favor the platformer, action/adventure games. I have nothing against RPG or strategy discs; it's just that when I play games, I really just want to kick back and shred apart a roomful of enemies, not meticulously plot out my every move. So aside from RPG and strategy, I welcome any and all recommendations.
(And yes, I am aware I own Shenmue, which is a RPG. :) But the reason why I have that game is that although it is primarily a RPG, there are a lot of different types of mini-games that help to break up the doldrums. If the DC has any other RPG's like that, then I would probably look into purchasing them.)
[Edit: can one of the mods correct my misspelling of "recommendations?" I'm always getting that word wrong.]
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on October 11, 2001 at 06:03 PM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Jet Grind Radio - my second fav. DC game, GET IT NOW!!!
Sonic Adventure - fun
Star Wars - Episode I: Jedi Power Battles - MUCH better than the PS1 version, plus you can program it.
Sword of the Beserk - AWESOME BEAT'EM UP

James St

Supporting Actor
Has anyone picked up Alone In The Dark for DC yet. I believe its only $20 but can't find any reviews.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Project Goth... oops, I mean Metropolis Street Racer
wink.gif

Dead or Alive 2
Tony Hawk 1
Tony Hawk 2
Soul Calibur
Rayman 2
Resident Evil CODE:Veronica
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
MSR, Code Veronica and Tony Hawk 2, add them to your collection absolutely! Ecco the Dolphin is also worth checking out, it's tricky, but rewarding (I think). Soul Calibur also worth a look!
Dan (UK)
PS: Fixed the topic header for you.
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 11, 2001 at 07:32 PM]

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
quote: Has anyone picked up Alone In The Dark for DC yet. I believe its only $20 but can't find any reviews.[/quote]
Link Removed As was asked earlier, how do you program Jedi Power Battles?
Dave,
I'll look into Rayman 2 and Metropolis Street Racer; the clips and photos I've seen of them look pretty interesting. Thanks!
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on October 11, 2001 at 07:39 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Toy Commander, and don't forget Shenmue 2 on 12/04, and Propeller Arena(whenever it comes out), Phantasy Star Online v.1, (v.2 costs extra) and Daytona USA are all good

Dan B

Screenwriter
You can scratch Shenmue II off the list, unless you can play the import version. (see post in forum about it posted shortly ago)
You may want to go for the Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventures sequels...I didn't see anyone post those yet. I second the recommendations for Ecco the Dolphin, MSR, & Rayman. I only played the demo of Toy Commander that was on one of the Official DC Mag demo disc & it was quite fun...I don't know why I never picked that one up. Hmm...let's see. If you like racers (like I do) then I can recommend F355 Challenge, Test Drive LeMans, & Test Drive Rally also. Oh yeah, MDK 2 if you haven't already played it on the PC or other platform! That game kicks major booty!!!
-Dan
will likely think of some more later
[Edited last by Dan B on October 12, 2001 at 12:38 AM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
BrianB,
I believe Jedi Power Battles for the DC comes with a BASIC compilier that allows you to alter parts and settings of the game.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I believe Jedi Power Battles for the DC comes with a BASIC compilier that allows you to alter parts and settings of the game.
Interesting, very interesting. May have to investigate that - first I've heard of that feature. I kind of ignored the game completely after the poo PSX version.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I kind of ignored the game completely after the poo PSX version.
The game still got a bad wrap whatever the platform, that said I find the DC release entertaining, visually and (especially) sonicaly it excels over the PS release. The whole game basically reminds me of a semi-3D version of a Super Star Wars SNES game.
Dan (UK)

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
quote: Since the Dreamcast is taking a final bow[/quote]
As soon as MSR drops to $10 I'll admit that the DC is going out. As far as I'm concerned, the DC is still going strong, 'cause I still can't afford their games! :)
I highly recommend Toy Commander. VERY fun game. I was sad when I finally completed it, it was so fun.
Soul Calibur is a must-have. Excellent fighter game. It's the only game my bro-in-law will play on my machine. :)
Berzerker: Gut's Rage is a great slasher. Tough too, I still haven't solved that one.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.
[Edited last by Craig Chatterton on October 12, 2001 at 11:36 AM]

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Dan B (UK),
Thanks for fixing the header. :) Guess I don't my know my English too good.
wink.gif

I've tried Soul Calibur, and it is a fantastic effort in terms of video, audio and control. But it's a fighting game, and to be honest I suck at that genre. I always have trouble executing the really tough combos and special moves and let's face it, that's half the fun of playing fighting games.
Code Veronica has been on my wishlist, and if I find Tony Hawk 2 cheap, I may buy it; the first one was a blast.
Jeff,
Toy Commander I've never heard of, but you, Dan and Craig have recommended it, so I'll look around for reviews and see if it's up my alley. I'll stay away from Phantasy Star, unless you can change my viewpoint; I've always had really bad experiences with RPG's in the past.
Dan B (US),
That's a shame about Shenmue II; first The Mummy, then Buffy the Vampire Slayer, now this! Shenmue was the one of the three RPG's I've ever enjoyed playing (along with the old 8-bit NES Final Fantasy and The Secret of Mana for the SNES). I can only hope Toejam and Earl Part 3 is still on the schedule.
I've got Sonic Adventure 2 and Tennis2K2 (the sequel to Virtua Tennis) on my "to-buy" list. The racing games I may put on backburner...they're not in my top 3 genres, and there's so many to choose from!
Oh, and if you haven't, give Jedi Power Battles a chance. When it was ported to the DC, the game was basically completely redesigned. Dan Brecher
is right: the visuals and sound are utterly amazing. Some people have complained about the camera angles, but really, I have no problem with them. There's also tons of characters, levels and weapons you can unlock, which adds to the replayability value. There's nothing like playing through SW: JPB as Darth Maul. :)
Craig,
quote: Berzerker: Gut's Rage is a great slasher. Tough too, I still haven't solved that one.[/quote]
I hear you, brother. :) I've had that game for nearly a year now and I still haven't beaten it!
Once again, thanks for all your suggestions everybody. I have enough here to last me awhile.
------------------
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on October 13, 2001 at 01:30 AM]

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Slightly related - where can I find the best price on a Dreamcast? I've seen them for $80; I'm just curious if anyone has seen them cheaper. Perhaps there are some coupons floating around for this?
Thanks -
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

erik bush

Agent
i'm pretty addicted to dave mirra freestyle bmx (i have mat hoffman's pro bmx too, prefer the mirra game, and it's cheaper!). test drive v-rally is pretty sweet too.
~erik
------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and if you haven't, give Jedi Power Battles a chance. When it was ported to the DC, the game was basically completely redesigned. Dan Brecher
is right: the visuals and sound are utterly amazing. Some people have complained about the camera angles, but really, I have no problem with them. There's also tons of characters, levels and weapons you can unlock, which adds to the replayability value. There's nothing like playing through SW: JPB as Darth Maul.
Bah.Another person reccomending it on the DC! I'll have to pick it up now. Stop it, people, I'm supposed to be saving!
smile.gif

------------------
Nothing In Particular

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
You people who haven't beaten Berserk, what are you weenies???? Actually that game was a bitch, but I told it where it could go and beat it. One of my top 10 Dreamcast games though! Excellent gameplay.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Well, Agetec still seems to love us
wink.gif

I thought it was surprising for them to bring Last Blade 2 over, but here they come with Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves ready by the middle of November. Very nice, particularly when nearly everyone else, Sega included, have dropped most titles. Too bad they never thought of Metal Slug X on the DC.
I was able to get D2 for $15 and WWF Royal Rumble for $10 from Amazon, which isn't bad (the local TRU still has D2 at $50), but they seem to be running out of a whole lot of titles.
As for the best DC price, I haven't seen anything less than $79.99. eToys has the DC with a VMU with an extra controller for $79.99, which is nice, since you'll need the VMU and controller anyway.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
One more title to add here - I finally found the DC version of Episode 1 Racer the other week, and it was well worth buying even though I have had the PC version for ages. The controls (at least in alt. control mode) are much nicer than using my PC steering wheel or keyboard, split-screen two-player is great, and the game still rules at capturing the feel of the pod race.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks