What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

SIN CITY to be released with 4 different cover options (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Actually, dvdsoon.com in Canada is offering each cover seperate. Problem is, I'm yet to get any of my pre-orders from July up to "The Thin Man Collection" from last week, so I odn't know if yo want to use them as an option.:thumbsdown:

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I was at my local used CD/DVD/VHS/CASSETTE store today and scored a new factory sealed copy with the Willis/Alba slipsleeve. Decent price and 2 weeks early. :emoji_thumbsup:

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
dvdtown.com has a review for the theatre version of sin city.. same with dvdtalk.com

JACOB

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have all 4 covers, but i'll just watch a rental
copy and if i like it enough i'l buy the holy crap edition next year or whenever.
i guess this release is barebones theatrical version.

production featurette, thats it.

what the heck is wrong with b. murphy's eyes?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
All this talk about the Alba vs. Murphy covers...I'm quite partial to the Rosario Dawson cover - hell, just the tongue alone should do it :D

Rian

Stunt Coordinator
So is it worth it to get this version or should I wait until the ultra SE comes out in whenever. I'm thinking maybe I should get this since I haven't even seen it yet.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rian,
if your certain that you'll like the film I would say buy this one, but if not I would at least give it a rent first.

The film kicks major ass, though. :emoji_thumbsup:

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I heard the special edition of sin city will NOT have the theatre version on it.. this will be the only way.

Rian. have you see other robert R movies? if you like thoses then you will probably like this movie.. this movie is not for everyone. if you like kill bill and pulp fiction.. then go for it.its a very violent film.. more so then both kill bill and pulp fiction.

JACOB

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
when is the special edition coming out?
I thought the end of the year.. now I read maybe april next year..whats the official word?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I fear this might be another lousy transfer from Buena Vista, (Disney, Miramax etc...)
EE abundant and crappy resolution like "Kill Bill", "Hero" and "Cold Mountain" and especially "Gangs of N.Y." which is terrible.

DVDfile's review didn't sound too promising....
"...The film's theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 is presented in anamorphic video. Edge halos are present, but they come and go. At no time do they become intrusive. Perhaps it's the unusual look of the film - black and white with exaggerated contrast - that helps keep them from becoming distracting. The ingeniously placed color is always free of chroma noise, always free of smearing, and ranges from highly subtle to highly saturated. I didn't notice any macroblocking or mosquito noise. Small object detail is rather good, but finely grained textures are a tad on the soft side. But like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, the style masks the flaws. The visual presentation departs from reality to the point that video faults simply become unimportant."
Well in this day and age, ESPECIALLY with a film shot on the same HD 1080p 24fps. Digital video camera as SW ep. 2 and 3, there shouldn't be ANY flaws. The DVD should look as good as possible.
There shouldn't be ANY EE and detail should be incredible. It's a shame that a film as dependent on image and visual style such as this should have anything less than a phenomenal DVD transfer.

but what do I know. Maybe the SE will look better...

James D

Second Unit
Fear not Dave, Robert Harris just gave the DVD a ringing endorsement for picture quality in one of his "a few words" threads.:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think the image looks very good.
if there is any ringing i havent noticed.

i also havent seen a plot yet after watching for 90 minutes.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A plot? There's no grand plot behind the movie. Just three separate stories about people getting revenge and saving their own asses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks