What's new

Simple Remote Set-up confusion, help! (1 Viewer)

greengirl1

Auditioning
Real Name
Phebe
I know this is a simple question but trying to follow paper manual's details hasnt helped and i did go into the CD but still was perplexed. In their directions they name buttons on remote which arent specifically detailed and dont show a diagram pointing them out. There are two on (l) buttons, one is in upper right in red (which is what i assume they mean and the other is the one im confused about when they ref the two and holding them for 3 secs to get a component's code assigned to the AVR's remote so that you can turn on/off and use function keys on one remote for all.
Here's what Im confused about which may seem confusing or quite clear to some. See below:
Press Input Source (ok now there are many differing buttons inc the one on AVR and BD player itself) Im assuming there is an input source on remote but there isnt one labeled as such so ive tried a few combinations, all do not work. Ive also tried to reprogram for simply the SAT/CBL (cable box) and BD (blueray) and initially got the ability to change channels from the Denon remote didnt know how it happened, just was playing around and then one nite it worked. My family mbr started spasing out on keys (i love it when they cant figure something out and then hit every button on device) after that, the channels stopped changing w/Denon and all i can do is control volume.
If Someone has a detailed step by step remote set up for BD and CBL/SAT id appreciate it. Im going to go once again to the more detailed instructions on Denon CD. However like i said some things are assumed you know which doesnt work when not labeled as such. I considered buying a refub'd Logitech but wondered if that remote would have a challenge recognizng the Denon and all its components hooked in. Upon glancing in to a Logitech Forum, i did see some owners complaining there were some issues. However, as we know many arent tech savvy and then flame the product for not working for such and such. Many have a challenge in grasping a post's intention and overexplaining and bypassing the info the poster is trying to get at. So, please if anyone knows exactly where on the remote Input Source is located, please answer. I see Select Source and that takes you to a grid on GUI to select all components and such but that is not working in this 3 sec combo button prog action where you then see a given code by Denon and type it in and hit any key to see if it works. My final question and sorry for the length of this...once you get codes recognized to use the one remote for all, will it turn on/off the components. I find i must use both Cable remote to turn on/off and the Denon to shut. i Cant use just the Denon but i could also not be programming something.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
One of the 'on' buttons, probably the one in red, is for the receiver. the other on is for turning on/off other components. Input source means that if you want to program the DVD, you press the 'DVD' button and then the other 'on' button (or follow the program sequence).

greengirl1

Auditioning
Real Name
Phebe
Its the Denon AVR 1912 everyone raves about. McCambey thanks so much for all of that detail. Sorry i didnt list the model, i got caught up in detailing the issue. Youve answered my question now i can go forward. Will report back hopefully with positive results, thanks again! They need more how to steps which are detailed lke your post here. They assume you know exactly what button device input is without an e.g.
I did try this combo but probably didnt do all in proper order. Plus the Denon does shoot up a code on AVR led screen and i was confused so i didnt know do i just type in what im seeing or does the Denon already know what code it is and should i simply hit enter...
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Will try it tonite. :D

greengirl1

Auditioning
Real Name
Phebe
Gave it a shot and it threw out 2 codes then told me for each component that it did not support that pc of equipment. Both being the CBL/SAT Cox Cable box and the Panasonic BD65 bluray player. I find it odd that both are not supported. Does anyone know if the Denon AVR 1912 can turn equipment on/off and then use functions when codes are accepted? Im wondering if it will utilize functions once manually turned on-i had the experience for a while where i was able to get CBL/SAT with the Denon remote to chg channels and inc/lower audio. Since i never set anything other than plug in component cable from CBL box to Receiver and initially it wouldnt chg channels just sound funcion (i had to use both Cox CBL remote & Denon's). Then one day, the channel function worked and i was thrilled. Ive got the cable connection from wall going in to the cable box rather than the input on back of Denon in upper left (only one where a cable can be screwed in to it-i thought however it was for some old antennae or something) the other thing was logically i wondered if Cox cable from wall outlet wasnt screwed in to Cox Cbl box how would that transmit or decode the cable tv coming over the line. So i routed component cable to both that box and receiever and left the tv cable from wall still going into Cox Cable box. Im assuming thats correct but should i have screwed that tv cable in to back of the Denon Reciever as well?This might then allow me to chg channels. One last remark on CBL/SAT is that i did not have this cable from wall routed to receiver previously when i could chg channels for some reason.
If anyone owns this receiver which is quite popular please help out. Im wondering if i must begin all over again, unplug or return settings to Factory Default and set up audio and remote. It really should be easier than this so im wondering if some step is being missed. The Manual even says you should be able to go back in after the fact to change settings on remote and its been easy to get in to set up and i see the code appear for the device, i just type in the code using numeric keys, hit Amp and Enter and it gives me a quick select for either OK, NG, etc. After NG (no good) a 2nd time it will stop provideing codes and tell you its unsupported. Im going to comb the net for a listing of compatible equipement Denon supports with remote and codes for them. Im trying to avoid a call there but probably my final action will be to do just that. Any other suggestions for me out there?

greengirl1

Auditioning
Real Name
Phebe
Thanks again for feedback, Im going to reread, im sure im missing something as im not getting anywhere w/the smaller manual. I'll chk out those pgs you reference. I do recall now that input being for the radio. I'll post back. Thanks again for the link and suggestions.

burger2227

Auditioning
Real Name
Ted Weissgerber
For set top boxes you need the manufacturer name, not the name of the cable provider. Like my Verizon STB is a Motorola.
The receiver documentation SUCKS and if the codes don't work you are stuck. I'm not impressed with the manual or instructions. We are NOT all audio fanatics!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
May I ever so gently suggest the purchase of a Logitech Harmony 1 remote control? Having never had much luck with "universal remotes" that come with receivers etc. and also having a degree of difficulty understanding Receiver manuals I think this would be a good solution.

burger2227

Auditioning
Real Name
Ted Weissgerber
For $199 it better be good! So should the Denon remote! Why make people buy another remote when all they need is to make more codes available. The USB could be used to update the software too!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
For $199 (and it can be had for less) it will overcome all your problems and frustrations with the Denon remote and will also be easily upgradable to accomodate any future new equipment. I and most others who've tried the Harmony consider it money very well spent. If you've spent literally multiple thousands of dollars on gear and balk at the cost of a Harmony remote you're, imho, exercising false economy.

burger2227

Auditioning
Real Name
Ted Weissgerber
Sears wants $250 for one. Logitech $199. My TV doesn't work with the Denon so I should just toss it for another remote? NAW! That's a ton of AA batteries!
Recommending somebody else's product on the Denon Forum does NOTHING for Denon! Somebody else will fix their remote and get their business too!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
whatever. Didn't know this was a Denon forum. btw, the Harmony one uses rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries and comes with a charger base.

cbhelo

Auditioning
Real Name
Caleb Billingsley
I too was confused by poor UI in Denon. Here is what worked for me with my AVR-2312CI - thanks to mccambley as his post got me going in the right direction with light blinks if code was accepted.
1. Press Input Source - aka TV button on top remote just under zone and red power buttons.
2. Press device on for 3 seconds. This was button on very bottom right of my remote. Zone lights shold flash 3 times.
3. Input code with [0-9]. This is the part I screwed up. I was just trying digit 0 then 1 then 2 etc. that was wrong --the right way is to key in the 5 digit yellow code on your TV screen. The zone lights should flash 2 times. Now press power off on very bottom of remote one with circle and line through it. That should turn off your device.
Only took me 6 months to figure out. Now if only I can get ARC working!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks