What's new

Sidney Poitier titles available on blu ray? (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I do have that DVD that was released on 01-27-09 by Warner. I also have "All the Young Men" (1960) with Alan Ladd on iTunes HD Digital.
I also have a crappy public domain copy of Mark Of The Hawk (1957) with Poitier and Eartha Kitt. It's a film I'd like to see rescued from PD which seems unlikely as it's an orphan film. It's technically a British film that Universal distributed in the U.S.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I actually met them together c. 1989. Two extraordinary gentlemen. My wife opined that Mr. Poitier had the most beautiful skin she’d ever seen.

And, I think, one of the most beautiful of speaking voices. Whether it’s attributable to his Bahamian origins or any other factor, he elevated a film when he opened his mouth.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
In honor of Mr. Poitier we watched To Sir, with Love yesterday with the kids and it was quite moving.
A very good movie that was made even better by the great Sidney Poitier - Farewell, good Sir!

1641632599401.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I’ve never had the chance to see all of them! I do own the Criterion blu ray of In the Heat of the Night. I forgot I picked that up during the Barnes and Noble sale. :)
I particularly recommend The Wilby Conspiracy, a very good film with Michael Caine and Nicol Williamson, the latter very skilfully playing a nasty but complex villain.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I particularly recommend The Wilby Conspiracy, a very good film with Michael Caine and Nicol Williamson, the latter very skilfully playing a nasty but complex villain.
Thanks Robin! Another title I wasn’t aware of.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Speaking of The Lost Man and Cry, The Beloved Country, how about Porgy and Bess?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It is interesting to note Peter Bogdanovich directed the sequel TO SIR WITH LOVE II.
That's indeed interesting but not sure I am that keen to watch it. We plan to watch either What's Up, Doc? or The Last Picture Show this week.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
At least I own a 16mm print of Cry, the Beloved Country.
Watch the film next time it plays TCM. Read Alan Paton's lyrical, gut-wrenching novel. Then watch Kino's disc of Lost in the Stars, the Kurt Weill/Maxwell Anderson musical version which doesn't trivialize the source.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Hold on to your hat, if and when you watch "No Way Out".:) Richard Widmark was one mean bigot in that movie. Widmark felt the need to apologize to Sidney after some of their scenes. They became good friends and did a few other movies together.
It's interesting that Widmark, along with Robert Ryan, excelled at playing horrible and often racist villains, yet in real life both men were said to be very kind and thoughtful and gentle men. I guess that's why they call it "acting"

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I watched the Criterion Blu-ray of "In the Heat of the Night " in honor of Mr. Poitier.

And why is "The Defiant Ones" the only major Stanley Kramer directed film NOT to have a US Blu-ray release ?

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Twilight Time released Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and I thought I heard that after their contract expired Columbia was going to release it's own blu-ray, but it seems they have not. One of my favorite films.
I thought Columbia released their own blu-ray of this film, to mark it's 50th Anniversary in 2017

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And why is "The Defiant Ones" the only major Stanley Kramer directed film NOT to have a US Blu-ray release ?
That's a great question! I don't understand why this fine film hasn't received a Region "A" Blu-ray release unless there are some kind of rights or film elements issue we don't know about.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
That's a great question! I don't understand why this fine film hasn't received a Region "A" Blu-ray release unless there are some kind of rights or film elements issue we don't know about.
My guess is that since Twilight Time or Kino (both of whom released several Kramer titles on blu-ray) never released "The Defiant Ones", then perhaps Criterion has the rights and have been sitting on it for some reason or another

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's interesting that Widmark, along with Robert Ryan, excelled at playing horrible and often racist villains, yet in real life both men were said to be very kind and thoughtful and gentle men. I guess that's why they call it "acting"
From what I've heard and read, you can add Dan Duryea to that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks