What's new

Sidney Poitier titles available on blu ray? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

With the sad news of Sidney Poitier’s passing, I was looking up his titles that are available on blu ray.

I remember seeing The Defiant Ones as a little kid and it stuck with me. I’ve wanted to see it again but I never got around to getting it on disc. I see there is a region B blu ray from Eureka. That might be the best bet, unless anyone knows of another?

Lilies of the Field: I see there is a new release from Kino Lorber Studios so that’s nice there is one available. Saw part of this on PBS years ago and wanted to see the whole thing.

In the Heat of the Night: is out from Criterion and so that’s also an easy one. I saw most of it on PBS as well. I was never sure I wanted to see this because of the prejudice displayed.

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner: is available as an import, Indicator Power House studio. Not sure if it’s Region free. I’ve not seen it, only clips. I know it’s got quite a cast with Hepburn and Tracy.

To Sir with Love: was available from Twilight Time in 2015, but is now available from Indicator Power House studio. Again, not sure if it region free. Another title I’ve not seen but heard a lot about.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In my Disc library:

1. No Way Out: Eureka Blu-ray Region B
  2. Red Ball Express: Kino Blu-ray
  3. Blackboard Jungle: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  4. Edge of the City: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  5. Band of Angels: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  6. Something of Value: DVD
  7. The Defiant Ones: Eureka Blu-ray Region B
  8. A Raisin in the Sun: Criterion Blu-ray
  9. Paris Blues: Kino Blu-ray
  10. Pressure Point: Olive Blu-ray
  11. The Long Ships: DVD
  12. Lilies of the Field: Twilight Time Blu-ray
  13. The Bedford Incident: DVD
  14. The Greatest Story Ever Told: MGM Blu-ray
  15. A Patch of Blue: WAC Blu-ray
  16. The Slender Thread: Olive Blu-ray
  17. Duel at Diablo: Kino Blu-ray
  18. To Sir, With Love: Twilight Blu-ray
  19. In the Heat of the Night: Criterion Blu-ray (4K/UHD Coming Out)
  20. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner: Twilight Blu-ray
  21. For Love of Ivy: Kino Blu-ray
  22. They Called Me Mister Tibbs!: Kino Blu-ray
  23. Brother John: DVD
  24. The Organization: Kino Blu-ray
  25. Buck and the Preacher: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  26. A Warm December: DVD
  27. Uptown Saturday Night: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  28. The Wilby Conspiracy: Kino Blu-ray
  29. Let's Do It Again: DVD
  30. A Piece of the Action: DVD
  31. Shoot to Kill: DVD
  32. Little Nikita: Mill Creek Blu-ray
  33. Separate But Equal: DVD
  34. Sneakers: Universal Blu-ray
  35. The Jackal: Universal Blu-ray

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never had the chance to see all of them! I do own the Criterion blu ray of In the Heat of the Night. I forgot I picked that up during the Barnes and Noble sale. :)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Twilight Time released Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and I thought I heard that after their contract expired Columbia was going to release it's own blu-ray, but it seems they have not. One of my favorite films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve never had the chance to see all of them! I do own the Criterion blu ray of In the Heat of the Night. I forgot I picked that up during the Barnes and Noble sale. :)
Well, I don't think any of the DVDs that I have of his films are out on Blu-ray in Region "A". If I'm wrong then I'm sure somebody will correct me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Robert, thank you for that great listing of titles and studio info! That’s really helpful!

i knew Criterion had another title, kept thinking it was Lilies of the Field, but its A Raisin in the Sun.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't think any of the DVDs that I have of his films are out on Blu-ray in Region "A". If I'm wrong then I'm sure somebody will correct me.
At this point of physical media history, I’m picking up discs where I can and if it’s region B, then I’m heading in that direction more and more.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Guys-

With the sad news of Sidney Poitier’s passing, I was looking up his titles that are available on blu ray.

I remember seeing The Defiant Ones as a little kid and it stuck with me. I’ve wanted to see it again but I never got around to getting it on disc. I see there is a region B blu ray from Eureka. That might be the best bet, unless anyone knows of another?

Lilies of the Field: I see there is a new release from Kino Lorber Studios so that’s nice there is one available. Saw part of this on PBS years ago and wanted to see the whole thing.

In the Heat of the Night: is out from Criterion and so that’s also an easy one. I saw most of it on PBS as well. I was never sure I wanted to see this because of the prejudice displayed.

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner: is available as an import, Indicator Power House studio. Not sure if it’s Region free. I’ve not seen it, only clips. I know it’s got quite a cast with Hepburn and Tracy.

To Sir with Love: was available from Twilight Time in 2015, but is now available from Indicator Power House studio. Again, not sure if it region free. Another title I’ve not seen but heard a lot about.
Nelson,

You are proper to be disturbed by prejudice, but don‘t flee from it. Acknowledge it. Recognize it. And help to conquer it through sanity and education.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Robert! Agreed! I grew up facing it. It’s no fun.
Hold on to your hat, if and when you watch "No Way Out".:) Richard Widmark was one mean bigot in that movie. Widmark felt the need to apologize to Sidney after some of their scenes. They became good friends and did a few other movies together.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To Sir With Love was my late mom's favorite film, so it also has a special place for me too. While I don't have all of Poitier's films, I have seen a good chunk of them either on TCM or via BluRay.
It's a personal favorite of mine too for this reason. Unlike my parents, my maternal grandfather wasn't a big movie person and this was one of the few times he took me to the movies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hold on to your hat, if and when you watch "No Way Out".:) Richard Widmark was one mean bigot in that movie. Widmark felt the need to apologize to Sidney after some of their scenes. They became good friends and did a few other movies together.
I actually met them together c. 1989. Two extraordinary gentlemen. My wife opined that Mr. Poitier had the most beautiful skin she’d ever seen.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Twilight Time released Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and I thought I heard that after their contract expired Columbia was going to release it's own blu-ray, but it seems they have not. One of my favorite films.
Sounds like it will be a Kino title

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
In my Disc library:

1. No Way Out: Eureka Blu-ray Region B
  2. Red Ball Express: Kino Blu-ray
  3. Blackboard Jungle: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  4. Edge of the City: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  5. Band of Angels: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  6. The Defiant Ones: Eureka Blu-ray Region B
  7. A Raisin in the Sun: Criterion Blu-ray
  8. Paris Blues: Kino Blu-ray
  9. Pressure Point: Olive Blu-ray
  10. The Long Ships: DVD
  11. Lilies of the Field: Twilight Time Blu-ray
  12. The Bedford Incident: DVD
  13. The Greatest Story Ever Told: MGM Blu-ray
  14. A Patch of Blue: WAC Blu-ray
  15. The Slender Thread: Olive Blu-ray
  16. Duel at Diablo: Kino Blu-ray
  17. To Sir, With Love: Twilight Blu-ray
  18. In the Heat of the Night: Criterion Blu-ray (4K/UHD Coming Out)
  19. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner: Twilight Blu-ray
  20. For Love of Ivy: Kino Blu-ray
  21. They Called Me Mister Tibbs!: Kino Blu-ray
  22. Brother John: DVD
  23. The Organization: Kino Blu-ray
  24. Buck and the Preacher: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  25. A Warm December: DVD
  26. Uptown Saturday Night: DVD & iTunes HD Digital
  27. The Wilby Conspiracy: Kino Blu-ray
  28. Let's Do It Again: DVD
  29. A Piece of the Action: DVD
  30. Shoot to Kill: DVD
  31. Little Nikita: Mill Creek Blu-ray
  32. Separate But Equal: DVD
  33. Sneakers: Universal Blu-ray
  34. The Jackal: Universal Blu-ray
Robert, I'm surprised that Something Of Value (1957) directed by Richard Brooks isn't listed in your collection. Released on DVD by Warners in 2009. Set in South Africa, Poitier and Rock Hudson play two childhood friends who find their friendship tested during the Mau Mau uprising. Dana Wynter and Wendy Hiller co-star. Worth checking out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen or was aware of that film. I’ll keep it in mind as I explore more of his titles. Thanks!

And thanks for the cool stories.

And Robert Harris, cool story about meeting Poitier and Widmark together! Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, I'm surprised that Something Of Value (1957) directed by Richard Brooks isn't listed in your collection. Released on DVD by Warners in 2009. Set in South Africa, Poitier and Rock Hudson play two childhood friends who find their friendship tested during the Mau Mau uprising. Dana Wynter and Wendy Hiller co-star. Worth checking out.
Actually, I do have that DVD that was released on 01-27-09 by Warner. I also have "All the Young Men" (1960) with Alan Ladd on iTunes HD Digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks