What's new

Sideways Speakers (1 Viewer)

Johnny Yak

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I am putting a surround sound system into my family room. The left and right speakers have to be in a built in bookcase/wall unit.

I have been looking at the KEF Q150 or Q350 speakers.

The 150's fit perfectly, but I am afraid they will be too small (and have small sound)....

The 350's will perfectly match my center (Q650's) in size, but I would have to lay them down on their side.

I have heard this is not an issue with KEF due to their coaxial design.

What does that mean and is it correct?

Any thoughts on if having smaller L and R vs. the center would be an issue in sound performance?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I would think you would be fine based on the configuration of those speakers. My recollection has been to avoid horizontally aligned tweeters and midrange speaker, which is why you see many center channel speakers have the tweeter and midrange vertically aligned while it is okay for the woofers to be aligned horizontally. That is the rule of thumb as I remember it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am putting a surround sound system into my family room. The left and right speakers have to be in a built in bookcase/wall unit.

I have been looking at the KEF Q150 or Q350 speakers.

The 150's fit perfectly, but I am afraid they will be too small (and have small sound)....

The 350's will perfectly match my center (Q650's) in size, but I would have to lay them down on their side.

I have heard this is not an issue with KEF due to their coaxial design.

What does that mean and is it correct?

Any thoughts on if having smaller L and R vs. the center would be an issue in sound performance?
Putting the Q350 on its side will be absolutely fine.

To clarify, it's exactly due to the reason Brad mentioned above. That speaker has a coincident driver, so rotating it doesn't change anything regarding how it hits your ears, since the entire range is coming from one location.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks