What's new

shows that have been destroyed (1 Viewer)

telzall

Stunt Coordinator
second star to the right; straight on til morning
Real Name
joe
LouA said:
Shirley Temple's Storybook Theater survives and some episodes were released ion DVD in Colorized versions by legend films . Add Officer Joe Bolton , Capt Jack Mc Carthy , RAy Heatherton and most of Soupy Sales NY shows to the lost list .
Thanks, unfortunately, her production of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow is not among the ones released. It had Boris Karloff!!!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well this three ton shipment of film happened two years ago...what's taking so long?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Obsolete Man said:
Today it is.

The rumors of this big score are changing daily.

I hope it's even half true, and that more Troughton is recovered.
If it is, there will only be a grand total of six Troughton shows missing from the archives.

Also the Beeb is neither confirming nor denying (despite Ian Levine basically spoiling it already).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The Obsolete Man said:
Today it is.

The rumors of this big score are changing daily.

I hope it's even half true, and that more Troughton is recovered.
Yes, yes, yes! My favorite Doctor of all time. I do hope this rumor has major teeth to it.

Gary "the thought of being able to see things like 'Power of the Daleks', 'Evil of the Daleks' and 'The Highlanders' is very exciting" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ethan Riley said:
Well this three ton shipment of film happened two years ago...what's taking so long?
If true, I'd assume cataloging, checking the quality of the prints, transferring to a more modern format, and in the case of Who, the Restoration Team would need to be let loose on the material to bring it up to par.

The missing Dad's Army episodes are also rumored to be part of this whole thing.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Todd J Moore said:
I heard all of Vampira is gone. The only existing footage of her seems to be her footage from Plan 9.

One early episode survives . You may ber able to locate a copy by doing an internet search fo Vampira.

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
LouA said:
I heard all of Vampira is gone. The only existing footage of her seems to be her footage from Plan 9.

One early episode survives . You may ber able to locate a copy by doing an internet search fo Vampira.
The existing clips are not from an actual broadcast, but were instead staged on the original "Vampira" set a few weeks after the fact, using the TV crew & equipment, and the script from a recent broadcast. The clips were prepared for use in a KTLA syndication pitch film that was being sent around to stations in other markets.

- Kevin

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
IntoIt said:
I have been trying to tell this to JMFabianoRPL, but he is still not responding:

There are rumors that NBC erasing daytime game shows was still going strong in the 80's. So strong that it is rumored every episode of $ale of the Century prior to September 1988 no longer exists.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/SaleOfTheCentury
Not surprising. NBC never saw a tape it didn't want to wipe or toss out. USA Network had a huge sports library dating back to the late 70s when they started telecasting, including 20+ years of US Open tennis footage. When NBC bought them, out went almost all of it. They really are cultural butchers when it comes to destroying their material. The only reason You Bet Your Life even exists is because Groucho had all of the elements delivered to him, otherwise that whole series would have gone to the landfill. ABC sent their library to UCLA while CBS maintained it themselves. NBC just destroys theirs.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
IntoIt said:
I have been trying to tell this to JMFabianoRPL, but he is still not responding:

There are rumors that NBC erasing daytime game shows was still going strong in the 80's. So strong that it is rumored every episode of $ale of the Century prior to September 1988 no longer exists.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/SaleOfTheCentury
Yes, for a while people had the cut off date be around 1983 I think. Hence the rarity of the original set SOTC eps. Then, when you consider Sept 88 and up is all GSN showed AND USA (along with the syndie year), that offers support to the theory, doesn't it?

And likewise, I am still wondering if there's any definite word on the survival rate of things with Sally Starr in them.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
But even now, I find the theory to be strange, because as mentioned in the site I posted, every episode of Scrabble exists. How can the same thing not be true with $ale? And they were from the same company, network, and timeframe!

That, I don't get. I refuse to believe this rumor about $ale. There's no way this could be true. It's impossible! I mean, just about all the Mark Goodson games that aired on NBC in the 80s do exist in their entirety.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall another rumour regarding Sale of the Century is that everything of the US run exists, just that it's in storage in the Grundy archive (in Australia).

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that GSN is only running the 88-89 episodes right now. As with their recent purchase of the first 50 shows of Press Your Luck, I suspect it's only an "archive dip" to test whether the show rates high enough to warrant leasing any additional episodes. Those first 50 PYL episodes ran over and over about 4-5 times (I think) before GSN decided that, "yes, we'll lease some more."

Maybe they'll do the same with Sale, (of course, if the "next" bath of sale is the syndicated run, then the whole "everything else is wiped" theories will resurface).

Another possible reason as to why GSN chose those specific episodes: A). to be able to show the end of the series or B). maybe those episdoes (and the others that were run on USA) were converted to a more modern (digital) tape format, and all the older episodes (the ones not aired on USA), are still on ancient formats that would have to go through digital conversion/restoration before they could be aired.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
PatrickGoodluck said:
I bet Dave Lambert's really wishing he hadn't gotten sucked into running that rumour on his site (and yes, I know he wasn't posting it as a "fact"). I think out of everything that's happened since Bleeding Cool ran their non-story (let's face it, they've gotten things wrong plenty of times in the past: Paterson Joseph as the Doctor, anyone?), the fact that TVShowsOnDVD.com repeated it was the thing I was most surprised about.

I thought the whole rumour smelt of horse manure ever since it started (and moreso since the whole "90-episodes" thing). It just goes to show that many Doctor Who fans are vulnerable and easily manipulated by pranksters/hoaxsters. You'd think we'd have all learned by now.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Doctor who?? Aw, shoot! They shoulda asked me! My Aunt Lucy has the whole run tucked away in a storage bin, back of her trailer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks