What's new

Should I fix my Onkyo TX-NR515 or buy a new AV ? (1 Viewer)

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
Hello.

I have a faulty Onkyo TX-NR515, and the repair will cost $350 (almost the price of a new SR494).
For this price, is it worth the repair or should I buy a new one?

Was the NR515 better than the entry-level ones from nowadays ?

Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I wouldn't spend that much getting a ten year old receiver fixed. Plus, it appears that model was plagued with failures.

I'm not sure how stable Onkyo is right now. They've been through some tumultuous times. If you're OK with certified refurbs, the best deal I found is for a Denon AVR-S960H for $499.

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
Thanks for sharing your opinions.
That is also what I was thinking. Also, a new one comes with some new features and some years of warranty.
My only concern was if the old models, like the one I have, were more robust than nowadays. But apparently that's not the case, right?

The Denon AVR-S960H is an attractive upgrade, besides the fact I just use 5.1 speakers, and were even considering downgrading to a 5.2 AVR. But all 5.2 AVRs I could find lack a lot of sound formats and other features.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looking at their current offerings, you can get the 660 for $400 and the 760 for $420. I generally suggest staying away from the bottom of the line model, plus it doesn't make sense when you can step up for $20. Overall, the 960 is just the best value, as long as $500 is still in your price range. The X2600 is also $500. There are minor feature differences between the two. It's the top of their basic line with the 960 and a lower model of their high line with the 2600. It's actually kind of silly to have two such similar models.

I guess the 960 supports 8K and the 2600 doesn't.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I do like that the retailer John linked to offers at least 3 years of warranty on their refurbished models. Most refurbs come with 90 days at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks