Short and Long Term Power

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chu Gai, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Not too long ago, a fellow over at Madisound posted some voltage measurements he'd done while playing a system. You can read about it here.

Unless I missed it, there's a lot of information that's not presented. For example, the speaker sensitivity, the speaker's FR, listener distance, actual SPL levels taken with the old RS meter, etc. Also, I'd like to have seen similar measurements taken while they integrated a sub into the mix and then played around with 'large' and 'small' settings.

On the whole though, I think it's an interesting attempt to get a handle on power requirements when running just a pair of speakers. My gut feeling tells me that if he'd run a sub, or had somehow been able to roll off the bottom end of the music before it made its way to the amp, kinda like vinyl, then the requirements would have been far less.

What do you think?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chu

Interesting article.

Indeed, a lot of data was omitted.

In my reading 2 things stood out.

1) The playback levels. The testing was done at a very high listening level, i.e., just short of painful. From my own very informal measurements that translates into listening position average levels of 90-92 db.

2) The peaks were reached on the snare drum hits.

I would conclude that bass was not the culprit in this test. The listening level was also very, very high. Listening at this level for extended periods will produce hearing loss over time.

Never the less, I guess I should make more of an attempt to hook up my Citation 7.1 amp. Typically, I run it bridged to put out 425 watts X 2 for my main L&R.

3. stevethe4th

stevethe4th Auditioning

Hi there Arthur!
    I read in some old forums you had a citation7.1 fixed...I need to have mine reparied, but can't find anyone who works on them... where did you get yours fixed??

thanks,
    Steve T>

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

What's the name of the thread?