Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Shoot to Kill (1988)

Tagline: It's about staying alive.

Genre: Action, Thriller, Crime, Drama

Director: Roger Spottiswoode

Cast: Sidney Poitier, Tom Berenger, Kirstie Alley, Clancy Brown, Richard Masur, Andrew Robinson, Kevin Scannell, Frederick Coffin, Michael MacRae, Robert Lesser, Milton Selzer, Les Lannom, Walter Marsh, Frank C. Turner, Sam Hiona, Michael Chapman, Janet Rotblatt, Ken Camroux-Taylor, Howard Storey, Fred Henderson, Jerry Wasserman, Gloria Lee, Freda Perry, Kevin McNulty, William S. Taylor, Ric Reid, Claire Vardiel, Blu Mankuma, Gary Hetherington, Allan Lysell, Michele Goodger, Beatrice Boepple, Andrew Rhodes, Bill Croft, Noah Beggs, John Molnar, John Ryan, Jim Van Dijk

Release: 1988-02-12

Runtime: 109

Plot: When a cunning murderer vanishes into the rugged mountains of the Pacific Northwest, pursuing FBI agent Warren Stantin must exchange familiar city streets for unknown wilderness trails. Completely out of his element, Stantin is forced to enlist the aid of expert tracker Jonathan Knox. It's a turbulent yet vital relationship they must maintain in order to survive... and one that becomes increasingly desperate when Knox's girlfriend Sarah becomes the killer's latest hostage!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Posting this because I was wondering if this was getting a Blu-ray release. I saw this in the cinema when it was released and loved it. It marked the return to the screen of Sidney Poitier after an 11 year absence and he is excellent in it. Beautiful outdoor photography and well shot action sequences from director Roger Spottiswoode would make for a great Blu-ray.

For some reason, I thought Kino had this one but I may have imagined that. It is one of the films I have been hoping to eventually get my hands on. I do have a DVD of the picture but these sort of outdoor action films are fantastic in HD.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Posting this because I was wondering if this was getting a Blu-ray release. I saw this in the cinema when it was released and loved it. It marked the return to the screen of Sidney Poitier after an 11 year absence and he is excellent in it. Beautiful outdoor photography and well shot action sequences from director Roger Spottiswoode would make for a great Blu-ray.

For some reason, I thought Kino had this one but I may have imagined that. It is one of the films I have been hoping to eventually get my hands on. I do have a DVD of the picture but these sort of outdoor action films are fantastic in HD.

I enjoyed it as well when it was first released.
Not only due to the thriller elements and the beautiful natural scenery, but the fact they actually crossed the border to Vancouver was fascinating. Most US films don’t usually step foot in Canada (as a setting).

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I enjoyed it as well when it was first released.
Not only due to the thriller elements and the beautiful natural scenery, but the fact they actually crossed the border to Vancouver was fascinating. Most US films don’t usually step foot in Canada (as a setting).
Is that true? I guess I hadn't considered the point since so many U.S. TV series film in Canada. But I guess they usually pretend they're not in Canada.

Hmm... all I can come up with is Canadian Bacon, Superman III, and Never Cry Wolf.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Great movie! Clancy Brown is a wonderful villain. Been a while since I’ve seen it. Definitely need to rewatch it soon.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Is that true? I guess I hadn't considered the point since so many U.S. TV series in in Canada. But I guess they usually pretend they're not in Canada.

Hmm... all I can come up with is Canadian Bacon, Superman III, and Never Cry Wolf.

Correct... many films and shows may be shot/filmed in Canada, but the setting is not actually in Canada. For example, last year's The Last Of Us was filmed in Alberta, but the setting was in the US.

Aside from Canadian Bacon, recent Hollywood films with a Canadian setting include Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Score , Cool Runnings, and The Jackal. I'm not sure about Superman III though. Haven't seen that in a while.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Correct... many films and shows may be shot/filmed in Canada, but the setting is not actually in Canada. For example, last year's The Last Of Us was filmed in Alberta, but the setting was in the US.

Aside from Canadian Bacon, recent Hollywood films with a Canadian setting include Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Score , Cool Runnings, and The Jackal. I'm not sure about Superman III though. Haven't seen that in a while.
Thanks for the list! I'll have to rewatch The Score - didn't realize it was shot in Montreal.

Oops, I meant Superman II. There's a brief scene on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

Now I just need to find something set in Quebec City.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
One more anecdote - when I saw this in Australia at time of release, it was known as Deadly Pursuit. Apparently that was its title outside North America.

:confused:

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks