What's new

Shiva Sonotube Kit? Wow! (1 Viewer)

Bob Reimer

Agent
The assembly manual will be up today and product should be shipable sometime next week. Thanks to Al and Dan for their input and help. Full test results and specifications are coming soon.

Bob
Creative Sound Solutions

AllanRW

Second Unit
OK.
Wayne.
The kit going to be a great kit for those wanting the best out put out of the Shiva driver.
At this time it will be staged with the Shiva in a 35" tall tube 16" diam.
These kits are so complete in document down to removing the lable off the glue container.
Took 1 day just of shooting photos and contruction of the first one Dan is testing now.
The photo tpye had my 12X22 foot HT room (that is heavy insulation and 60lb roof felt in between the drywall and framing) just vibrating like nothing I have had down in the room till that day.

Top plate were the 4" flared port is has a CNC cut 1.25"MDF cap that slips into the top of the tube and the lip of 3/4" is left to hold the cap in place.Slick.
Next the tube comes with inside braces that are glued to the side walls and then act as a spacer for the center brace.(yes a center brace in a tube.Not done with the braces yet.
Then another set of 3 braces glued to the walls and then the bottom plate(yes CNC cut for the driver as well as stainless feet and a seal I will get to this SEAL in a minute)
Next after the second set of braces is glued in the tube the bottom plate is glued in place on the inside of the tube.
ALL USING POLY GLUE so in 4 HRS start to stop the glue will be dry and you are ready to hit some low notes:D

After the glue is all finished you can attach the sock.
This is pushed into a cut grove for the port cap on the top as well as the cut grove on the bottom using a small rope seal you push in the seal to hold down the sock.
Stand it up and you as set to go.

a few ofhter point I skipped as just not the ime to list them all as Bob said the document will be up in a few days as we have to re shoot a few pics.
The documentation is very very complete for anyone to assemble.
Tools you will need a cloth,to remove any glue runs,a screw driver to mount the driver and screw the port in place,and a drill to drill for the terminal posts for the passive unit.
Power unit.
I will be making AMP boxs that will be mdae for the new 360 AMP from Solen.These boxs will come with inside braces that are screwed to the tube then the box slides over the top.

B
As well I will be making a AMP box that will be universal.
The box will come with a flat top plate that will require a cut out for your amp.
For those who have ordered a amp from another location.

In all a very slick design .
Just wait and see.

Al:D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Bob, Al,

Thanks for your responses. The "kit" looks pretty promising - and quite competitively priced, too. For anyone involved in building their 1st, 2nd or even 3rd sub, the kit seems like a good (and viable option.)

For the DIY type of person, it is also a great option - for those who value their time. When I was younger, time was not too important to me. However, now, I can't waste it. I don't know of how many DIY sonotube projects that I've read about where the person building the sub didn't have to run all over town - only to find out the local cement company was the only place selling the proper sized sonotube. Then, they had to buy 12' feet of it because the company wouldn't sell shorter lengths. After about 3 hours, they finally have the sonotube and can start building the sub.

I do like how the amp options are flexible. One can choose to either go with a pro audio amp, or choose the option to attach a plate amp to the tube. Very nicely executed, I might add.

Now, I'll just wait quietly until the "official" launch of this product are read some more of Al's "dumb blonde" jokes. :D

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Hi guys,
It's funny how long this has been discussed and yet nobody did anything with it until now. I like the internal bracing. I think that gets overlooked in many sonotube builds. Excellent opportunity for those without woodworking tools. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Thats pretty cool. Could you put a different driver in there? Or is the SHIVA it? This may be a worth while investment. Would this give you about the same sonic qualities of an SVS 20-39PCI or PC+?

Hmmmmm thats got me thinking. Ill see how finances are for my b-day. If I cant afford the PC-Ultra then maybe this is worth it.

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I just saw that, looks awesome, especially for those of us who are woodworking incompetent, or live in apartments and can't make lots of sawdust ;) Depending on how I like my Rava, I may eventually pull the driver and amp and stick them in one of these tubes.

AllanRW

Second Unit
We are looking int all the options at this time.
But as it sits for now the first will house a Shiva only.

Now all I have to is get the Veneered one ready for a photo as well.

And a nice optional sock of swede in a few colours, I have in the works as well.

Al

Sebastian

Second Unit

I don't think bracing gets overlooked but it is not needed. Hence one of the advantages of going round Vs. box.

Bob Reimer

Agent
Update,

We will have measurements, etc. early next week. I think if we measured the walls with and without bracing there would be a difference. Whether it is significant or audible is hard to say. We've included it and it with the spacers makes assembly very much easier.

Bob

AllanRW

Second Unit
Like Bob said the braces act as a spacer to place the center support and keep the volume 100% correct.
If the were not used when assembling you would have to measure down the inside of the tube ,mark were the driver plate goes and then hold the plate with SOMEONE helping or using one hand and screwing the plate in place with the other.
With the Spacers they space equal the top, center to driver plate ane the volume stays the same time after time.
And when you use the Poly glue it sticks very, very well and makes assembly go in just a few minutes from top plate to the bottom plate.

Yes they are not needed.
I had the same issue.
But assemble one first with out and with the materials we have put in the kit.
I am sure you will be on the other side of the fence after you do both.

The document will be up soon and then you can review the file and see yourself.

Al

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I may be interested in picking that up. Now if I want to do a plate amp does that change anything? Like the 360 watt with the remote?

Bob Reimer

Agent
There are currently 2 different models on my website and they can now be ordered though they won't ship before the end of next week. The basic model "EZTUBESHIVAP" is for a passive design with 2 sets of binding posts included. The other "EZTUBESHIVAAMP" includes the 5 pieces of MDF cut to allow the plate amp to be attached on the side. You would need to assemble this and cut a hole for your specific amp (supports amps to about 12" X 12"). When the SUB250RF is available we will add a third model which includes the subamp with a specific amp box for that amp. The manual for the passive version can now be downloaded, though it's 1.25 MB because of all of Al's photos.

Bob

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Al,

I briefly reviewed the 13-page assembly manual. It seems very straight-forward and most people could tackle the build process without any hassles.

About the only thing that I saw of concern is the process where the screws are being applied to hold the driver in. I guess I fear that some first-time builder will encounter a slipping screwdriver and poke a hold in the Shiva. Other than that, it's nicely done. :)

Additionally, I like the 4 binding posts. It's nice to keep the option open if someone wants to wire and power each voice coil separately.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Would the kid be available with NO driver? If so, that enclosure would be perfect for a Dayton Titanic Mk3 12" and rythmik 380w plate amp tuned to 20hz and come in under $500 before shipping (assuming the full $125 price of the shiva was subtracted from the $300 kit price), and yield performance that would be in the neighborhood of SVS 20-39 PC+ (minus the multiple tunings).

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in a few kits tuned to 20Hz without the driver also.

Will it be availble?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks