What's new

Pre-Order Seven (Se7en): What's In The Box Special Edition (4k Combo SteelBook) Deluxe Boxed Set Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yeah, I don't need gewgaws and crap. That expensive "Titanic" deluxe was an embarrassment.

Just gimme the movie!
An entire boxed-set designed around the singular Se7en? A tremendous film, but certainly not a film that inspires ideas towards gift-giving.

This set and it’s ludicrous pricing, without the option of its own 4K/UHD Stand-Alone disc, is far worse than when the superior 4K/UHD Columbia Classics boxed sets denies its consumers the options of purchasing its collectively six contents individually. At least with Columbia Classics there is a solid nominal value and an economy of presentation and uncluttered class.

The great news of having Se7en in the 4K/UHD format is overshadowed by its lack of accesses; an access which will never happen with the current constraints of this film being held hostage inside a box-o-junk.

Let’s hope someone gets it right for round two with the American release.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This may not even get the deluxe treatment in the US. So far, both of the deluxe editions are UK (not sure if all of Europe)-exclusive. I've read elsewhere that the studio has alluded to the US only getting a standard release (disc and generic packaging) a la The Exorcist. If true, that would be foolish of Warner. They seem to think Americans generally don't care about things like fancy packaging and "box of goodies" versions and they couldn't be more wrong. A good percentage of the Exorcist bible edition was sold to US customers.

That's complete news to me.

Pretty much all I ever hear are complaints about big "boxes o'junk", not praises for "boxes of goodies", ... at least in the last couple decades anyway, LOL.

I'm sure there are some, especially back during the LD (and maybe early DVD) days, who love them and are willing to splurge on them, but they've gotta be in the (very) small minority nowadays (after so many iterations/re-releases) me thinks. Granted, Se7en hasn't been one w/ that many such re-releases, but still...

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The "just gimme the movie" crowd - why not just stream it? Why bother with a physical disc? Serious question. If it's cost savings you're looking for, I don't see a better way other than subscribing to a service. There! No pesky packaging taking up space and no thirty bucks a pop for single movies!

Because I want to own the movie and not rely on some streaming service that might drop the film any time they feel like it.

And I want all the bonus features on the disc.

I just don't need a Gluttony Spaghetti Recipe Card or a Replica Gwyneth Paltrow Head with the 4K.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much all I ever hear are complaints about big "boxes o'junk", not praises for "boxes of goodies", ... at least in the last couple decades anyway, LOL.

I'm sure there are some, especially back during the LD (and maybe early DVD) days, who love them and are willing to splurge on them, but they've gotta be in the (very) small minority nowadays (after so many iterations/re-releases) me thinks. Granted, Se7en hasn't been one w/ that many such re-releases, but still...

_Man_

A "boxed set" with valuable content would be welcomed.

But most seem to just toss in fairly useless crap as a way to inflate prices.

I mean, that "Titanic" 4K set is just the ripoff to end all ripoffs. $150 for content worth $15 at best!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The "just gimme the movie" crowd - why not just stream it? Why bother with a physical disc? Serious question. If it's cost savings you're looking for, I don't see a better way other than subscribing to a service. There! No pesky packaging taking up space and no thirty bucks a pop for single movies!
I, myself, am not against the deluxe gifts sets at all. Many can be classy, inventive, or simply great fun. On the flip side of that, requesting the availability of only a 4K/UHD disc, in lieu of a costly gift set, shouldn’t become a one-way ticket towards strictly streaming, either.

I believe that gift sets, steel books, 3D, Stand-alone titles and streaming services should all co-exist. My beef is when a title gets announced it sometimes precludes the other desired venue from becoming obtainable. For me, it’s about accessibilities for everyone, all across the boards.

Think back upon the distribution days of Vinyls, 8-tracks, cassette, 45 RPM singles and sheet music. Whatever the album title had been, all formats were released simultaneously.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I mean, that "Titanic" 4K set is just the ripoff to end all ripoffs. $150 for content worth $15 at best!
At least Titanic was the biggest hit of all time and has an enormous fanbase so I get the idea of trying to get those people to buy a very expensive release. I love Seven but I think it's fair to say that it doesn't have a Star Wars, Marvel, Lord Of The Rings-style fanbase where they'll pay to get a super duper version will all kinds of stuff included.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I, myself, am not against the deluxe gifts sets at all. Many can be classy, inventive, or simply great fun. On the flip side of that, requesting the availability of only a 4K/UHD disc, in lieu of a costly gift set, shouldn’t become a one-way ticket towards strictly streaming, either.

I believe that gift sets, steel books, 3D, Stand-alone titles and streaming services should all co-exist. My beef is when a title gets announced it sometimes precludes the other desired venue from becoming obtainable. For me, it’s about accessibilities for everyone, all across the boards.

Think of Vinyls, 8-tracks, cassette, 45 RPM singles and sheet music. Whatever the album title, all formats were released simutaneously.
Very expensive box sets are increasingly the bane for those of us, who also collect high-resolution, multichannel mixes of rock albums. A blu-ray, with a Dolby Atmos mix of a classic rock album, is now often buried in a huge box-set, containing vinyl, books and various bric-a-brac, without the choice of a standalone blu-ray. If this is the way studios are going to start releasing newly mastered 4K UHD titles, then count me out. I have neither the space, nor the interest in anything but the actual, little, shiny disc.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis

_Man_

I acknowledge that, in many cases, those big fancy box sets do contain some useless junk like character cards, key chains and stickers (that stuff does have fans) - I'm mostly making reference to plain vanilla releases with just a disc and nothing else in generic packaging vs. something "a little better". A good example of what I'm talking about is Universal's Essentials collection. A nice premium release with a booklet, some lobby cards and other collectibles housed in an attractive rigid hard box - all for a few more bucks. Something like that sure feels nicer on a shelf than a cheap eco pack with photoshopped artwork. I never see anyone on this forum talk about this aspect of collecting so I'm assuming most members here are perfectly happy with just a disc but on several other boards I'm also a part of, this stuff is the talk of the town. Sorry, I'm not satisfied with just a disc anymore. Physical media is now a niche collector's market and that's who the boutiques are catering to nowadays. I'm happy about that.

Reactions: PMF

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
At least Titanic was the biggest hit of all time and has an enormous fanbase so I get the idea of trying to get those people to buy a very expensive release. I love Seven but I think it's fair to say that it doesn't have a Star Wars, Marvel, Lord Of The Rings-style fanbase where they'll pay to get a super duper version will all kinds of stuff included.

Well, we've gone Box o' Junk releases for movies with fanbases smaller than "Titanic" and those you mention.

Anyway, my point was simply that most of these boxes are just ripoffs meant to fleece superfans.

Some with useful materials would be great. I just used "Titanic" as an example of a crappy box.

I still can't get over how lame the non-movie bonuses in that box are!

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Very expensive box sets are increasingly the bane for those of us, who also collect high-resolution, multichannel mixes of rock albums. A blu-ray, with a Dolby Atmos mix of a classic rock album, is now often buried in a huge box-set, containing vinyl, books and various bric-a-brac, without the choice of a standalone blu-ray. If this is the way studios are going to start releasing newly mastered 4K UHD titles, then count me out. I have neither the space, nor the interest in anything but the actual, little, shiny disc.
I am an audiophile who collects multichannel high resolution audio mixes of my favorite albums.

I will not listen to these over streaming services because I need to hear my music lossless

however, it bothers me to no end that I have to purchase a massive box set with books 6 CDs and one Blu-ray with the content I'm looking for.

On one positive note, which I hope becomes the norm, pink Floyd is now offering the 50th anniversary Dolby Atmos mix of dark side of the moon for $20 on Amazon as a single disk Blu-ray release

I have heard it as I have heard all of their multichannel mixes, including the quad mix from the 70s

And it is as anybody familiar with Pink Floyd would expect, sensational.

"There is no dark side of the moon really . As a matter of fact it's all dark. "
- DSOTM
IMG_4076.png

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Because maybe some people want the best video & audio quality possible, but don't want all the paraphernalia that comes with these deluxe box editions at a much higher price?
Yeah… The issue is exactly this
I would like the highest quality video and audio.

you can download and stream, James, Cameron's aliens right now
The download is approximately 15 GB
The Atmos track is compressed, and I believe the Dolby vision track is subpar to what we will see with the physical disc

When you compare it with an 86 GB movie file

all of those gigabytes equal data bit rate, quality that streaming does not offer

Reactions: PMF

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Well, I'm assuming Fincher and Darius Khondji have final say so this won't end like every Warners 4k catalog release last year.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I acknowledge that, in many cases, those big fancy box sets do contain some useless junk like character cards, key chains and stickers (that stuff does have fans) - I'm mostly making reference to plain vanilla releases with just a disc and nothing else in generic packaging vs. something "a little better". A good example of what I'm talking about is Universal's Essentials collection. A nice premium release with a booklet, some lobby cards and other collectibles housed in an attractive rigid hard box - all for a few more bucks. Something like that sure feels nicer on a shelf than a cheap eco pack with photoshopped artwork. I never see anyone on this forum talk about this aspect of collecting so I'm assuming most members here are perfectly happy with just a disc but on several other boards I'm also a part of, this stuff is the talk of the town. Sorry, I'm not satisfied with just a disc anymore. Physical media is now a niche collector's market and that's who the boutiques are catering to nowadays. I'm happy about that.

I don't mind if it's really, literally just a few bucks more for a nicer package w/ good booklet and maybe a trinket or so, but they are rarely just that though... except in the cases of digibooks or the like. I do often like what Criterion does (particularly for multi-disc sets), except some cases where the packaging breaks or wears out too easily -- case wear/damage susceptibility is also partly why I don't generally like steelbooks.

In the end, what's on the actual disc(s) is what matters most by far... along w/ a good, reasonably durable case (w/ decent artwork) that preferably won't take up too much storage space (unless truly warranted as in some cases like some Criterion releases I alluded). I did like the typical, old LD boxsets though -- well, other than the high prices anyway, LOL, but that's not usually what we get w/ these "box o'junk" releases of the last couple decades...

I am an audiophile who collects multichannel high resolution audio mixes of my favorite albums.

I will not listen to these over streaming services because I need to hear my music lossless

however, it bothers me to no end that I have to purchase a massive box set with books 6 CDs and one Blu-ray with the content I'm looking for.

On one positive note, which I hope becomes the norm, pink Floyd is now offering the 50th anniversary Dolby Atmos mix of dark side of the moon for $20 on Amazon as a single disk Blu-ray release

I have heard it as I have heard all of their multichannel mixes, including the quad mix from the 70s

And it is as anybody familiar with Pink Floyd would expect, sensational.

"There is no dark side of the moon really . As a matter of fact it's all dark. "
- DSOTM
View attachment 208710

I don't consider myself a particularly serious audiophile, but yeah, no lossy music formats for me either, except when I'm out-and-about listening to my iPhone on-the-go (via wireless headphones). Streaming music doesn't have to be lossy anymore these days though. Most of the better platforms offer lossless audio and often even hirez.

And yes, much like w/ movies, I'd still wanna own discs for what are most important to me... though music streaming is certainly catching up to discs (a good deal) more so than movie streaming.

Yeah… The issue is exactly this
I would like the highest quality video and audio.

you can download and stream, James, Cameron's aliens right now
The download is approximately 15 GB
The Atmos track is compressed, and I believe the Dolby vision track is subpar to what we will see with the physical disc

When you compare it with an 86 GB movie file

all of those gigabytes equal data bit rate, quality that streaming does not offer

With some titles, I'm ok w/ just streaming (whether via subscription services or purchased digital)... as there are really too much of interest for me to own everything on disc -- my BD+4K-disc collection already exceeds 3K as it is afterall... :P

There are also some cases where the digital can be 4K, but there's only a BD available, not 4K disc, even for fairly new, highly acclaimed films, eg. The Banshees of Inisherin, Belfast, Nomadland, The Father (2020), Minari, Little Women (2019), The Favorite, Brooklyn (2015), etc, NVM some catalog titles -- Paramount, in particular, have some catalog titles released on to BD, but offer 4K digitals... In most such cases, I buy both the BD and the 4K digital (though Paramount BDs often come w/ digital codes that can be redeemed for 4K via AppleTV/iTunes)...

_Man_

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I don't mind if it's really, literally just a few bucks more for a nicer package w/ good booklet and maybe a trinket or so, but they are rarely just that though... except in the cases of digibooks or the like. I do often like what Criterion does (particularly for multi-disc sets), except some cases where the packaging breaks or wears out too easily -- case wear/damage susceptibility is also partly why I don't generally like steelbooks.

In the end, what's on the actual disc(s) is what matters most by far... along w/ a good, reasonably durable case (w/ decent artwork) that preferably won't take up too much storage space (unless truly warranted as in some cases like some Criterion releases I alluded). I did like the typical, old LD boxsets though -- well, other than the high prices anyway, LOL, but that's not usually what we get w/ these "box o'junk" releases of the last couple decades...

I don't consider myself a particularly serious audiophile, but yeah, no lossy music formats for me either, except when I'm out-and-about listening to my iPhone on-the-go (via wireless headphones). Streaming music doesn't have to be lossy anymore these days though. Most of the better platforms offer lossless audio and often even hirez.

And yes, much like w/ movies, I'd still wanna own discs for what are most important to me... though music streaming is certainly catching up to discs (a good deal) more so than movie streaming.

With some titles, I'm ok w/ just streaming (whether via subscription services or purchased digital)... as there are really too much of interest for me to own everything on disc -- my BD+4K-disc collection already exceeds 3K as it is afterall... :P

There are also some cases where the digital can be 4K, but there's only a BD available, not 4K disc, even for fairly new, highly acclaimed films, eg. The Banshees of Inisherin, Belfast, Nomadland, The Father (2020), Minari, Little Women (2019), The Favorite, Brooklyn (2015), etc, NVM some catalog titles -- Paramount, in particular, have some catalog titles released on to BD, but offer 4K digitals... In most such cases, I buy both the BD and the 4K digital (though Paramount BDs often come w/ digital codes that can be redeemed for 4K via AppleTV/iTunes)...

_Man_
Understood yeah I gotcha

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Delayed to 2025 via TheBits

"And finally, we have word from Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment—not officially but via retail sources—that their (as-yet-officially-unannounced) 4K Ultra HD release of David Fincher’s Se7en (1995) has now been delayed to 2025. The title had been available for pre-order on Amazon and Zavvi, and the latter just shared this message with their customers:

“Thank you for your pre-order of Se7en 4K. We are thrilled for you to see it beautifully remastered in UHD. We are working behind the scenes to bring you the most pristine version of the film possible. To that end, we will be shifting the release to 2025. We appreciate your patience and understanding and look forward to sharing the product with you in the near future.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks