What's new

Sell me on _Buffy_. (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jack,

As I mentioned earlier, the "Buffy vs. Dracula" episode airing on Christmas is not a bad out of context episode with which to start. The best way to appreciate the long arcs and continuity is, as most have already pointed out, from the beginning.

Regards,

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've decided to start watching this series, as I've heard so much about it, but couldn't watch it until now. (Damn you DirecTv for not carrrying UPN or WB!)
Tonight FX did not air the first 2 episodes, "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and "Harvest", even though the program guide on DirecTv listed it that way.
I think it's time to get a Tivo.
-Dan B

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think it's time to get a Tivo.
I would never discourage anyone from getting a TiVo.:) But even TiVo is only as good as the scheduling information it receives, and FX has sometimes been slow about sending out updated schedules. Also, when FX does update TiVo, it sometimes drops an episode, so that there's an hour in the FX schedule for which TiVo has no listing and you need to set it manually.
Your best bet is go keep an eye on the schedule at FX's website, which is always the first to list any changes.
http://www.fxnetworks.com/main.html
M.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Thanks Michael. I actually just meant to say that I am going to need a Tivo to catch all of these episodes, assuming they are going to show 2 hours worth every weeknight. (plus Tivos are dirt cheap right now) ;)
-Dan B

John W L

Agent
Jack,

If you wait until Jan. 15, just two weeks after the next run of "Buffy" Season 1 begins on FX, you can get the DVD of Season 1, finally being released in the US after virtually a year's delay after syndication rights issues(e.g., with FX) caused several postponements. And, of course, the DVDs should be complete, unlike the FX episodes that are edited, like all syndicated shows, for more commercial time. Other HTF threads have mentioned how the editing has been a spoiler, having deleted some of the best "throwaway" lines. The very first scene showing two major characters (Willow and Xander) is cut on FX.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Before Star Trek: The Next Generation's rights were assumed by TNN (so that they could use it for their ongoing self-promotion via that obnoxious station bug/message bar), I'd see episodes of the program that were seriously edited by the local channel so as to make room for more commercials. Disturbing.

But I am going to check out that Buffy-versus-Dracula episode (on Xmas, right?). There's also an episode on tonight, and I'll give it a whirl. Even if I am unaware of the episode's context within a given story arc, I can appreciate good writing when I see it. I'm looking forward to all this.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
actually, the FX broadcasts are not all edited. I have compared a few with some I have from the original broadcasts and they are virtually the same. Some have claimed that in their area the show is chopped up, but I guess it just depends on where you live, and what kind of cable network you go through.
I do know that the episodes aired on FOX on weekends are edited though, I have seen enough to tell. :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Just giving myself & Jack a reminder by bumping this...my memory is horrible.

-Dan B

Paul Mason

Stunt Coordinator
As everyone else has already said, everyone else has said everything I wanted to.

One thing I would say is that "Buffy vs Dracula" is a pretty atypical Buffy episode. I enjoy it a great deal but it's more of an homage to the Dracula myth. They bend a lot of the normal Buffyverse mythology in order to fit with the Dracula mythology.

Watch in order if you can. If not try to watch 2 or 3 episodes before forming a judgement.

If I had to sum up the brilliance of the show I would probably refer you to "The Zeppo". It's a season 3 episode - without giving away too much it uses the end of the world as the background to an examination of a major characters self-doubt. There's a scene where they are discussing the coming apocalyse and it switches mid-sentence into a discussion about who ate the last donut. It's the effortless way in which both in the writing and the acting they move between drama and comedy.

That's just one of many examples.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Never mind my statement. FX just started editing the episodes in my area too.
I noticed a few scenes missing from various episodes. The earlier episodes were not cut.
I went to my dad's house (he's been taping the episodes for me because I don't get FX.)
I got to his house and started season 4. At 'pangs' I noticed a bit of the scene with Riley and the commando's was missing. "That's a pretty harsh cough, maybe you need to spend the weekend in quarantine." ---
Then the episodes began having extra commercial breaks, instead of having commercials where the act's end they have an extra one or two extra commercials wherever they can fit them in.. It really is annoying. :frowning:
Oh well, at least I have all of season 6 on tape from the original airings, and the DVD releases will be uncut. :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
One thing I would say is that "Buffy vs Dracula" is a pretty atypical Buffy episode. I enjoy it a great deal but it's more of an homage to the Dracula myth. They bend a lot of the normal Buffyverse mythology in order to fit with the Dracula mythology.
I still think it's not a bad episode for someone who is not immersed in Buffy continuity to see. The writing is sharp, most of the current cast is featured, and it stands on its own fairly well. There are still a few moments that are helped by a prior knowledge of the show (I can't remember if Willow & Tara's relationship is explained enough to set up the humorous scene with Joyce and the significance of Dawn's cameo will definitely be lost), but far fewer than most of the stuff that was showing on FX in late December.
Addendum: I also forgot to list Xander's reference to the "funny syphilis", but it very well could be more fun to imagine what he could mean than to remember the specific episode.;)
Regards,

Paul Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,
You're probably right. I guess I've been in too many newsgroup discussions about the continuity problems in that ep. Though you're not going to have continuity issues if you've never watched before ;)
Also look out for Willow's make-up in that episode - "we were trying something new" they said. Thankfully they abandoned the Willow-as-circus-freak look.

Jodee

Screenwriter
As far as the FX re-runs being edited:

If you look on the FX scedule online, after certain episode titles it will say "SYN" which means it is the syndicated (read: edited) versions.

The first time FX ran these Buffy episodes they were not the "SYN" versions, but often the next-day re-runs were.

I'm thinking perhaps they only had the rights to run the uncut episodes once?

I first noticed this when a particular scene Angel drinking Buffy
was significantly cut. When they showed it the first time it was uncut, but on the re-run the next morning it was cut down significantly, with certain shots missing. The web-site indicated it was the "SYN" version.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
You're rigfht. That makes sense. :) It's just a little sad that now they're all going to be ...cut! :frowning:
Oh well, like I said, UPN re-runs will be intact, and the DVD releases will be great. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of commercial-driven edits, I tried watching parts of Sci-Fi's "complete and uncut" Twilight Episode marathon yesterday. Each episode had entire segments edited out to make room for commercials. What a disgrace. Isn't Sci-Fi's now-brighter station-bug logo enough?

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to criticize Buffy, but I do want to criticize the "pretty girl kicks serious man ass" progeny it has spawned. How many tv series/movies have come out in the last 2-3 years which feature a petite girl kung-fu'ing her way through a hoard of male villains. Buffy was the original, so it gets a pass (or the credit). However, the plot line has worn thin on me. On a psychological level, why is this so appealing, apparently, to both men and woman?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think it's basically that men like action and they like pretty girls, so pretty girls getting involved with action makes guys happy :) For women, I think they like the presence of a strong female hero for a change, as long as it's kept accessible and relatable to them, anyway. That is, I know plenty of women who love Sarah Michelle Gellar on Buffy or Jennifer Garner on Alias, but not so many who like Jessica Alba from Dark Angel or Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. The latter two seem more objectified for men than the former two.
Personally, I've got no problem with stories that feature women kicking ass, but I wouldn't mind a little more balance in Hollywood. Aside from Russell Crowe there haven't been a whole lot of tough guys entering Hollywood lately. Mostly it's sensitive wimps like Ben Affleck, and I'd wager that just about any woman in Hollywood could kick his ass :)

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
You may be on to something Andy. I also would like to see a return to the tough guy in Hollywood. Something like Clint Eastwood in Josey Wales. Then we could have a fair fight with the ass kicking female going head to head with the macho male. That might be original.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
But how many of the Buffy rip-offs are good?

Charmed? Uh uh, Dark Angel? Give me a break

Only through the blessings of Lord Whedon does Buffy reach the peaks and mounds(pun intended) that it does, case closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks