What's new

Pitch (FOX) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was really pleasantly surprised by this one. I don't give two craps about baseball, but I do invest in people, and the things that drive them individually and inspire them collectively. This was a show that acutely aware of the ramifications of the hypothetical moment in history it was building its narrative around.

I grew up in the era of female empowerment. Slogans like "girls rule, boys drool" were common. I understood the good intentions behind them, but they always seemed self-defeating to me. In attempting to build confidence, they were selling girls a false bill of goods: You're better than the boys, and you succeed tremendously at things that will make them struggle. And so many heroines of fiction reflect this narrative: they're always a step ahead of everybody else, smarter and funnier and more morally attuned. As phenomenal as Hayley Atwell is as Peggy Carter, "Marvel's Agent Carter" could often be guilty of this.

From what I've seen, the reality of breaking barriers is a slog: You not only need to be able to keep up with the competition, you need to work harder, fight through headwinds that the competition doesn't, and most of all you've got to endure when you can barely keep your head above water. This is a show that seems to get that.

Ginny Baker is not the greatest player to ever grace the Major Leagues. Her ball speed, while very impressive for a woman, isn't competitive with the top major league pitchers. Instead, she has a screwball that negates that shortcoming -- at least enough to generate a respectable number of outs. If she had stepped up the mound and pitched a no hitter, I would have been done with the show. It wouldn't have been a drama, it would have been a wish fufillment fantasy.

Instead, her first appearance on a major league mound was a complete disaster. Her second game got off to a rough start, and then became a good but fairly unexceptional performance. And in between was a lot of psychological perseverance and diligent sharpening of fundamental skills. That's a journey that feels more meaningful and earns my emotional investment. It's like the first Rocky; if Rocky had gotten in the ring and knocked Apollo Creed out early in the fight, it would have just been another quickly forgotten sports movies. It's an Oscar-winning classic because this nobody with no business fighting the heavyweight champion of the world gets into that ring and manages to hold on longer than anybody thought possible. Those are the kind of stories people can relate to, and the kind of stories people care about and remember.

The show is keenly aware of the business dynamics at play, the historical dynamics at play, and the gender dynamics at play. She is a spectacle that puts asses in seats, and that provides her with opportunities she wouldn't have if she was a male pitcher. But the public's interest in novelties can quickly fade. It's up to her to be a ball player that outlasts the novelty.

I'd only previously seen Kylie Bunbury on ABC Family's terrible primetime soap "Twisted", and her performance in that was one of the many weak points of an awful show. So I was blown away by her performance here. More than just about any show since "The Good Wife", the protagonist here spends a lot of time inside her own head without bouncing off other characters. And Bunbury conveys that internal journey clearly without overacting. I never detected a false note.

Mark-Paul Gosselaar has brought back the Zack Morris swagger, and I'm loving it. While Bunbury unquestionably carries the entirety of the show on her shoulders, Gosselaar is the counterweight on which the show is balanced. A perfect piece of casting.

Does the show play like an MLB advertisement? Yes, it does. But the verisimilitude it gets from being able to use real teams and real stadiums is worth enduring the branded product placement built into the show's DNA. If it were a fictional team in a fictional league, it just wouldn't have the same gravitas.

I only had a couple criticisms. Ali Larter was one of the drags on "Heroes" during its original run, and her publicity guru here feels like she'll quickly wear out her welcome. She probably should have just been a recurring character. I have absolutely no interest in her romantic subplot. And this is screenwriter Dan Fogelman's second pilot this week, and the second one to end on a major twist. I thought the twist worked beautifully on "This is Us"; I thought the twist here felt a little too gimmicky and tired. The show would have had a lot more colors to play with Michael Beach's character without that reveal.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
While it was a seriously contrived I liked it.

Ali Larter's agent needs to be toned down a tad.

Great cast too.
I like that her out pitch is a screwball.
That pitch has been lost in baseball the last couple of decades.
Phillies and Mets fans might like that because Tug McGraw was a screwballer and even produced a comic strip of a screwball pitcher.

scroogiestrip001.jpg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've never heard that.

I think it's more stress on the forearm than the elbow to throw a screwball.
When I was young I could throw one.

Pretty sure there are still players that throw it, just don't call it a screwball anymore.
If you see a pitch that curves the opposite of what is expected it's genereally what a screwball would do.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying the deepening characterization for Mark-Paul Gosselaar's catcher. I also appreciate Dan Lauria as the team's manager; he's been thrown into a situation he wasn't equipped for and never anticipated, but he's making an honest effort to do the best he can. And to Ginny's credit, she recognizes that.

I loved the flashbacks with Ginny's brother, who ultimately exposes some immense vulnerability to do what he thinks is best for his little sister, after a lifetime of living in her shadow and the shadow of their father's ambitions for her.

The weak link continues to be Ali Larter's character. For a show whose raison d'être is this very progressive concept of the first female ball player in the major leagues, explaining away her cold, ruthless pursuit of Ginny's brand as resulting from an inability to get pregnant and being dumped by a man is extremely regressive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched both episodes today. So far, so good for me. As to the female agent, I kind of like her.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Enjoyed this more than I expected. Really like the lead actress. I'm also not sold on the agent character, but Mark-Paul Gosselaar character is fantastic.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My wife is loving the show but we both agree the agent is a bit much. Marlon Brando once said, "Never show your top," because then, as an actor, you have no place to go. I feel like the agent is almost constantly showing her top, in every scene. There's no variety with her. She was more tolerable in episode 2 when they revealed her in some vulnerable moments.

So far it's a nice show. But it has the aura of a show that will be canned. Then again, anyone can predict almost any new show would be canned and they would usually be right.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the agent was male, would there still be this criticism of her being over-the-top? I'm just asking. By the way, nobody outside of the entertainment business likes agents and how they try to maximize their clients earning power and brand.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Finally got around to watching this. Wasn't dying to, but given the reviews thought I would give it a chance. Glad I did. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I liked the fact they aren't trying to present her as being as "fast" a pitcher as a guy, and the fact that the first game went the way it did was a pleasant surprise, and much more believable. Not sure about the twist at the end - whether it was necessary or not - we'll see. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks