What's new

SCROOGE (Albert Finney) is coming this October to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Wasn't there an oddity on the My Fair Lady dvd that was released by Paramount? Didn't it have a different Intermission card or something? I remember reading something about it when Paramount released its version.

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
Boy was I lost there for a bit. I saw the title and dates on the first few posts and then I figured I might as well skip to the end and suddenly my brain started singing With a Little Bit of Luck. :eek: Glad I'm okay. :laugh:
Anyhow, I found the link to buy Scrooge and support HTF, and that lead me to search Amazon for a blu-ray version of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim.
A Christmas Carol at Amazon
This is one of hubby's favorite Christmas movies and I'd love to pick up a better copy (we have an older DVD and it's a bit scratchy and the sound track isn't so grand). I searched here, but didn't find a thread (but might have missed it as I'm still a bit puzzled with the board software), so I have 2 questions:
  • Does anyone know if this is a good blu-ray reproduction?
  • If it's a good copy, how do I buy it and support HTF?
:)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Paramount should have included the Overture . ..some one messed up?

"My Fair Lady" Does have an intermission and there is entrance music into act two - though this was always over a black field in the theater - any intermission card was made specifically for home video so I would not be surpirsed if Paramount uses a different one.
I've seen MFL many times in a theater but I do not recall any intermission card, but I mat be wrong. Some Roadshows didn't use an intermission card and they were only devised for home video releases (or may have been added for the restoration in 1994) Only Mr Harris would know

Paramount only released two Roadshow musicals during the Roadshow era "Paint Your Wagon" and "Half a Sixpence" Neither one had an overture in the theater or on home video.

Scrooge and MFL are new to Paramount. "Scrooge" is the only one which had an overture played over a dark screen in the theater.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MrsMac /t/279421/scrooge-albert-finney-is-coming-this-october-to-blu-ray/90#post_3857384

Boy was I lost there for a bit. I saw the title and dates on the first few posts and then I figured I might as well skip to the end and suddenly my brain started singing With a Little Bit of Luck.

If it is the VCI Entertainment Blu-ray, then there should not be a problem. I did hear that VCI is doing another transfer on Blu-ray and release it in about a month, so you might want to wait for that one. It is still an old film, but VCI used a very decent print for the transfer and the reviews have been positive.

I think if you click any Amazon logo on this web site you can type in any thing you wish to purchase in search and HFT gets the credit. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

LCD22

Screenwriter
The overture for Scrooge was brought up multiple times on this forum including the very thread they were monitoring interest. And I clearly remember someone saying they wish to see it on the same layer as the film unlike the 2003 DVD. Even TCM HD aired it last year with the overture and exit music intact.

LCD22

Screenwriter
ahollis said:

If it is the VCI Entertainment Blu-ray, then there should not be a problem.  I did hear that VCI is doing another transfer on Blu-ray and release it in about a month, so you might want to wait for that one.  It is still an old film, but VCI used a very decent print for the transfer and the reviews have been positive.

I think if you click any Amazon logo on this web site you can type in any thing you wish to purchase in search and HFT gets the credit.  Please someone correct me if I am wrong.  

I check for the HTF tag in the Amazon link before adding it to the cart.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/279421/scrooge-albert-finney-is-coming-this-october-to-blu-ray/90#post_3857406
Paramount should have included the Overture . ..some one messed up?

"My Fair Lady" Does have an intermission and there is entrance music into act two - though this was always over a black field in the theater - any intermission card was made specifically for home video so I would not be surpirsed if Paramount uses a different one.
I've seen MFL many times in a theater but I do not recall any intermission card, but I mat be wrong. Some Roadshows didn't use an intermission card and they were only devised for home video releases (or may have been added for the restoration in 1994) Only Mr Harris would know

Paramount only released two Roadshow musicals during the Roadshow era "Paint Your Wagon" and "Half a Sixpence" Neither one had an overture in the theater or on home video.

Scrooge and MFL are new to Paramount. "Scrooge" is the only one which had an overture played over a dark screen in the theater.
I thought there was always an intermission card, with the end music from act 1 playing over it. It was on the last pre-restoration VHS tape. It must have been part of the original release, as it had the word "Intermission" in the same font as the opening credits over a floral background.

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
ahollis said:

If it is the VCI Entertainment Blu-ray, then there should not be a problem.  I did hear that VCI is doing another transfer on Blu-ray and release it in about a month, so you might want to wait for that one.  It is still an old film, but VCI used a very decent print for the transfer and the reviews have been positive.

I think if you click any Amazon logo on this web site you can type in any thing you wish to purchase in search and HFT gets the credit.  Please someone correct me if I am wrong.  

It is from VCI and I was glad to see it had English subtitles. :) Where would I find info on a newer release?
Thanks to you, and ChrisCook, for the info on the shopping link.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Click to enlarge Alastair Sim's tour-de-force performance as the ultimate miser, Ebenezer Scrooge, has almost single-handedly made this beloved version of Charles Dickens's story into one of the best-loved Christmas films of all time. Some of Britain's best filmmakers united behind Sim, who was joined by a delightful cast of accomplished and acclaimed English actors; creating what many today believe to be the best and most faithful production of Dickens' immortal tale. Cranky and curmudgeonly Scrooge learns the error of his unkind ways and is taught the true meaning of the holidays when he is visited by the ghost of his late business partner and the spirits of Christmas past, present and future. This Blu-ray edition has been digitally restored from a new 1080p, 24fps high definition transfer master produced from the 35mm negative and fine grain. Starring: Alastair Sim, Kathleen Harrison, Jack Warner, Mervyn Johns, Hermione Baddeley, Michael Hordern, George Cole, Rona Anderson, John Charlesworth, Glyn Dearman, Clifford Mollison, Patrick Macnee Directed by: Brian Desmond Hurst Produced by: Brian Desmond Hurst Executive Producer: George Minter Short Actors: Alastair Sim, Kathleen Harrison Short Description: Dickens' holiday masterpiece with Alastair Sim as the definitive Scrooge. The holiday picture of all time! Also Includes the Standard DVD with both 4x3 and 16x9 versions. Written By: Noel Langley Book By: Charles Dickens Photography By: C. Pennington-Richards Music By: Richard Addinsell, Muir Mathieson Sub Genre 1: Family Bonus Features: Commentary Tracks By Marcus Hearn and George Cole, INTRODUCTION BY LEONARD MALTIN, and much more! Runtime: 96 minutes Year: 1951 Color: B&W Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 MPAA Rating: NR Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 Language: English Subtitles: English, Spanish Country: UK Region Code: All Region Release Date: 11/1/2011 Format: Blu-Ray UPC: 089859906022 ISBN: 1-55739-795-3 Sorry that after all these years I still can not post anything right!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by MatthewA /t/279421/scrooge-albert-finney-is-coming-this-october-to-blu-ray/90#post_3857517
I thought there was always an intermission card, with the end music from act 1 playing over it. It was on the last pre-restoration VHS tape. It must have been part of the original release, as it had the word "Intermission" in the same font as the opening credits over a floral background.

There's a very good chance I may be wrong.

I had thought in the theater the word "Intermission" appeared against a black background, but for the video releases the word appears against a photo of red roses. I didn't remember the flowers in the theater and they may have been added for the video releases. But then I may be remembering incorrectly

Overtures were always against a black screen except for "West Side Story" which add the NYC graphics in different colors before the title West Side Story came on (there were no other opening credits), and "My Fair Lady" which started it's overture against a background of flowers - this was done so the theaters would not cut the overtures as was often done to reduce run time.

For the home video release of many films an Overture card was created so people wouldn't think something was wrong with their tv sets. Some used art from the original film poster, some (mostly FOX) used landscape still shots from the actual film (South Pacific, Oklahoma)

I always prefer the black screen (reduces burn in from a 5 minute overture with a still shot of the poster art)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
At least it has the exit music, this is a great film which I watch every year.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'm used to seeing Scrooge without it. I wish they initiate a disc replacement program.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, you are probably wondering why this thread is resurrected from 2014.

I just received word that SCROOGE will be released on digital for the first time on 11/3

It's also not clear from Paramount, but they are touting the film's 50th Anniversary on 11/5 and there COULD be a Blu-ray re-issue.

Of course, the big question is whether Paramount fixed the missing overture issue. I suppose we will find out in a few weeks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Update: No new Blu-ray release for SCROOGE. What they do with the digital is anyone's guess. If they simply pull the BD master for the digital chances are the overture will be omitted.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
HD digital version currently available to buy on Amazon for $13. Worth it, a great Christmas movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks