What's new

Science Fiction/relationship/romance movie from 15-20 years ago? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hey folks, need some help. I saw this with my wife. More relationship/romance than sci fi. Might have "happy" in the title? It's about a relationship between an awkward man and a woman, and over time in the movie, it comes out the the man is an alien living here. I think he leaves at the end? Thanks!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Start with Starman though it's closer to 40 years and go from there though there are a number of similar items

Any idea of an actor or general plot?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I just remember it's a movie about a woman, and an awkward man. And slowly over the movie it comes out that he's an alien. And that he has to leave at the end. Leaves the planet or dies, I can't remember. It's a good movie, but it's more of a woman-friendly sci fi movie than special effects or people getting killed. :)

Under the radar type movie though. Indie, small scale.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was thinking K-PAX, but I'm not sure the story fits, because I don't remember the story. I do remember the viewer isn't sure whether or not he's an alien.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking K-PAX, but I'm not sure the story fits, because I don't remember the story. I do remember the viewer isn't sure whether or not he's an alien.
I don't think that's it, but it's another good suggestion. The one I'm thinking of has a relationship between the alien and a woman as front and center.

"Happy People"? But when I google that, nothing much comes up ...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Might you be thinking of

Making Mr Right?

1660074911605.jpeg

A reclusive scientist builds a robot which looks exactly like Dr. Ulysses, a scientist set to go on a long-term space mission. Since the (real) scientist seems to lack all emotions, he is unable to program his (lack of) emotion into his automaton, and an eccentric woman is hired to "educate" the robot on human behavior. In the end, she falls in love--but is it with the robot or with Mr. Right?

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Plus the Turtles song “Happy Together” plays over the end credits.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Might you be thinking of

Making Mr Right?

View attachment 148170
A reclusive scientist builds a robot which looks exactly like Dr. Ulysses, a scientist set to go on a long-term space mission. Since the (real) scientist seems to lack all emotions, he is unable to program his (lack of) emotion into his automaton, and an eccentric woman is hired to "educate" the robot on human behavior. In the end, she falls in love--but is it with the robot or with Mr. Right?
No ... but that's another good suggestion for my buddy ... Dang, really bugging me.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Drats, I just checked my Netflix history. 254 movies over the last 20 years, not there! Must have been a Blockbuster rental ... ;)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Earth Girls Are Easy - (?)

1988 SF / Comedy / Romance with Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum as the couple. Other cast members include Jim Carrey, Damon Wayons, Julie Brown, and Michael McKean.

- Walter.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
15-20 years ago would be in the 2002-2007 range. My first thought would be Her, but that's more recent and there are no aliens involved.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
After having slept on it, and I looked at over 300 movies listed on IMDB with science fiction and romance or relationships, I think it has to be K-PAX. For some reason, this part really resonated with me:

"In addition, one of the patients is missing: Bess, a woman who had remained mute since her home was destroyed in a fire and who had been among the patients that asked to go to K-PAX with prot. She is never found. The other patients believe that prot has taken her to K-PAX."

I had always kept thinking of it as a love story.

And the Happy Together song really stuck with me too, such that I kept thinking that "happy" was in the title somehow.

Anyway, I'm putting it on my list to watch again. My buddy and I thank you for all of the other suggestions as well, and special shout outs to @JohnRice and @Phil A !

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, that and Starman were the two that came immediately to mind. I figured it probably wasn't Starman, since I doubt anyone would think that came out in the last 20 years.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, one of my favorite Sci-Fi(ish) movies with a strong relationship aspect, which also is extremely difficult to figure out and wasn't very well received, is The Fountain. I think it's a fabulous, if nearly unfathomable movie. I have figured out what I believe happens, and virtually all interpretations I've read (in my opinion) are sorely mistaken. It's real food for discussion afterward.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Hey folks, need some help. I saw this with my wife. More relationship/romance than sci fi. Might have "happy" in the title? It's about a relationship between an awkward man and a woman, and over time in the movie, it comes out the the man is an alien living here. I think he leaves at the end? Thanks!
How about What Planet Are You From?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
BTW, one of my favorite Sci-Fi(ish) movies with a strong relationship aspect, which also is extremely difficult to figure out and wasn't very well received, is The Fountain. I think it's a fabulous, if nearly unfathomable movie. I have figured out what I believe happens, and virtually all interpretations I've read (in my opinion) are sorely mistaken. It's real food for discussion afterward.

I’d be very curious as to your take on it if you ever feel like breaking that out into its own thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks