What's new

Sciatica ? (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Pain medication is not a great long-term solution. Depending on the actual problem* spinal injections are the next least-invasive option. (* "sciatica" is just a generic term for several different problems, including disc compression and stenosis). Then there's an inter-spinal device option which is real surgery but still not very invasive (it's just a large "spacer" they use to keep the vertebrae apart. Next up is usually a laminectomy, and finally a spinal fusion.

I went to therapy with no luck whatsoever (but the insurance providers make you do that first). Then I had spinal injections - helped, but not long term. Then I went with an X-Stop inter-spinal device (that reduced the pain by about 50% (which wasn't enough for me).
Then I went back and had spinal injections, and the combination is keeping me pain free. No playing tennis or anything, but I can take 5 mile walks again with no pain.

Have you seen an orthopedic or neurosurgeon yet? You really have to get an MRI to see what's causing the problem.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Pain medication is not a great long-term solution. Depending on the actual problem* spinal injections are the next least-invasive option. (* "sciatica" is just a generic term for several different problems, including disc compression and stenosis). Then there's an inter-spinal device option which is real surgery but still not very invasive (it's just a large "spacer" they use to keep the vertebrae apart. Next up is usually a laminectomy, and finally a spinal fusion.

I went to therapy with no luck whatsoever (but the insurance providers make you do that first). Then I had spinal injections - helped, but not long term. Then I went with an X-Stop inter-spinal device (that reduced the pain by about 50% (which wasn't enough for me).
Then I went back and had spinal injections, and the combination is keeping me pain free. No playing tennis or anything, but I can take 5 mile walks again with no pain.

Have you seen an orthopedic or neurosurgeon yet? You really have to get an MRI to see what's causing the problem.

Have seen an orthopedic surgeon who went over the MRI. Apparently a herniated disc. Next step like you said, is a spinal injection. Sometime in the next week, a lumbar steroid injection, which I hope helps. Do not want spinal surgery, sounds like a really scary area for a surgeon to be operating on. But the pain is amazing, had no idea it could be so bad, so something has got to be done.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First off, no need to apologize for this thread or posting in it. If one member learns something from it then it's proved itself.

Anyway, I also have Siatica. Once you have a bad back you always have a bad back. It might not hurt all the time but it could start up again at any time. I was off work for a week (should have taken two!) 4-5 years ago and it was the worst pain imaginable. Workers Comp doctor (:rolleyes:) put me on "light duty". I couldn't walk to my car in the parking lot without stopping to rest half way there! I took the prescription meds they gave me but they were in-effective to say the least. I called my office and told them I was taking the week off. And I never call in sick (waste of a good day off). My boss also suffered from Siatica a few years earlier so there were no arguments from the workplace. Wouldn't have mattered even if there were. It took over a month for the pain to totally subside on it's own. Longest month of my life.

Back issues can come from many reasons and areas. For me, it turned out to be compression. When I sit for too long of a period my spine compresses, pinching a nerve and shooting pain down my leg. I bought and installed a pullup bar ($25)in my bathroom doorway and when I feel my back starting to compress (pain!) I simply hang from the bar, or anything else around at the time, and the pain subsides fairly quickly. In fact, I "hang around" for 5-10 minutes every other day or so and haven't experienced any issues in months. I only wish it hadn't taken me 5+ years to figure this out :blink:. I also have calcium buildup but not much they can do about it.

But what works for me won't necessarily work for you. The key is finding out what does.I think I have. I sincerely hope you do to. Because the pain from Siatica is horrific and relentless. Funny though. The only time I didn't feel any pain was also in the drivers seat! I seriously thought about removing the drivers seat from my car and putting it my living room. I mean it. I seriously thought about it. Darn near slept in my car a few nights as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
First off, no need to apologize for this thread or posting in it. If one member learns something from it then it's proved itself.

Anyway, I also have Siatica. Once you have a bad back you always have a bad back. It might not hurt all the time but it could start up again at any time. I was off work for a week (should have taken two!) 4-5 years ago and it was the worst pain imaginable. Workers Comp doctor (:rolleyes:) put me on "light duty". I couldn't walk to my car in the parking lot without stopping to rest half way there! I took the prescription meds they gave me but they were in-effective to say the least. I called my office and told them I was taking the week off. And I never call in sick (waste of a good day off). My boss also suffered from Siatica a few years earlier so there were no arguments from the workplace. Wouldn't have mattered even if there were. It took over a month for the pain to totally subside on it's own. Longest month of my life.

Back issues can come from many reasons and areas. For me, it turned out to be compression. When I sit for too long of a period my spine compresses, pinching a nerve and shooting pain down my leg. I bought and installed a pullup bar ($25)in my bathroom doorway and when I feel my back starting to compress (pain!) I simply hang from the bar, or anything else around at the time, and the pain subsides fairly quickly. In fact, I "hang around" for 5-10 minutes every other day or so and haven't experienced any issues in months. I only wish it hadn't taken me 5+ years to figure this out :blink:. I also have calcium buildup but not much they can do about it.

But what works for me won't necessarily work for you. The key is finding out what does.I think I have. I sincerely hope you do to. Because the pain from Siatica is horrific and relentless. Funny though. The only time I didn't feel any pain was also in the drivers seat! I seriously thought about removing the drivers seat from my car and putting it my living room. I mean it. I seriously thought about it. Darn near slept in my car a few nights as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the response.

I used to be one of those people who kind of doubted people claiming sciatica, just whiners, yeah, yeah, yeah, my leg hurts. Tough, get off your butt and do your job.

Well, I've certainly changed my opinion. As you mentioned, the worst pain imaginable. Nobody can really identify with it unless they've dealt with it.

I'm hoping this upcoming steroid injection helps. Tore my rotator cuff about five years ago and I thought that was bad. But my doctor did steroid injections directly into the shoulder joint, absolutely instant relief. Sadly they only lasted about 4-5 months, and they don't like to keep doing them, so within a year, ended up having two surgeries to rebuild my shoulder.

Honestly don't know what to expect, but I'll just deal with whatever happens.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Sciatica pain can be horrible. But the worst pain I've ever experienced was a kidney stone. If my worst burning sciatica pain I have is a 9 the kidney stone was a 35!

Mark

Stan

Senior HTF Member
OMG, can somebody just drop by my house and shoot me? The steroid injection I thought I'd get in the next day or so is scheduled for May 24th. Two more weeks of this crap?

I've actually been able to walk somewhat normal since Sunday, so maybe it's just clearing up on its own, or it could be the massive pain meds I've been taking. If the pain keeps up, back to the ER. Even though insured, that is not what the insurance companies want, but I can't go two more weeks with this. Ugh....

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
One thing that helped my back (and sciatica) was traction. In fact, I was ultimately prescribed a portable traction machine for home use. It's not a long term fix, but it does help relieve pain when my back is at its worst.

Mark

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well, had the procedure this morning. It was called an "epidural steroid injection". Although injection makes it sound like just one, it was probably closer to 20. They went up and down my lower back, from S1-L5. Multiple lidocaine shots for the pain of the real injections, then the steroids and also "contrast" injections so they could see where things were going. Kind of fun to watch on the screen as they maneuvered around, making sure they hit the right spots.

All dignity flies out the window with something like this. Five people in the room, doctor, nurses, techs, etc. and I'm laying on my stomach with my bare butt hanging out for the world to see. But they were very professional, quite sure nothing they hadn't all seen before.

Want to avoid surgery, so does the doctor. He said that often with the pain and stress removed, things may heal on their own. I certainly hope so.

Actually feel much better, but the doctor said a lot of it will be because of the local anesthesia, the steroids won't kick in for 3-10 days so it may actually be just as bad as before for a while.

Another "to much information" post, but if it helps somebody else, it's worth it. Plus we've got the mods, they'll delete me if it's inappropriate.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well, the steroid injection didn't do much, slight improvement, but still need the pain meds to walk.

Now referred to a surgeon, not what I want to do, but supposedly they do it as "minimally invasive" as possible. Don't know for sure, but sounds like a general anesthetic, then two days in the hospital to monitor things.

I've got several weeks to think about things and am also going to get a second opinion, surgery is not the way I want to go.

Anybody had back surgery for a herniated disc? What's it like? Risky? What exactly would they be doing?

Any advice would be helpful, just trying to get as much info as possible to decide how to handle this.

I know this is kind of a private issue, but it's not like I'm giving out my bank account and social security #s, so not really worried.

Thanks

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Well, the steroid injection didn't do much, slight improvement, but still need the pain meds to walk.

Now referred to a surgeon, not what I want to do, but supposedly they do it as "minimally invasive" as possible. Don't know for sure, but sounds like a general anesthetic, then two days in the hospital to monitor things.

I've got several weeks to think about things and am also going to get a second opinion, surgery is not the way I want to go.

Anybody had back surgery for a herniated disc? What's it like? Risky? What exactly would they be doing?

Any advice would be helpful, just trying to get as much info as possible to decide how to handle this.

I know this is kind of a private issue, but it's not like I'm giving out my bank account and social security #s, so not really worried.

Thanks

So called MicroDiscectomy surgery is often even same day depending on what discs and overall general health. I know several folks that have had it for various issues and some reported resolution of their symptoms as soon as they woke up from surgery. Others (wife) still had some residual pain/weakness that eventually went away with a couple months of Physical Therapy. She hated the PT part since it was so uncomfortable during and the day after until she realized after a few sessions that a year+ worth of issues were actually getting better. The microdisc is done almost through fiber optics with minimal disruption of the surrounding muscle and tissues so recovery time is much faster. She has some limited activity for a week or two with slowly increasing amounts allowed, but that seems to be such an individual thing. She was basically 90% normal activity in about 2 weeks with only some limitations of lifting, etc.
I know a couple other folks that had much more rapid return to work with nearly complete resolution of their issues almost immediately

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I had a pretty bad bout with this last year. I bed-rested my way through it. No pain meds but ibuprofen, and I did some stretching exercises each day. (The one where you lay on your back, raise your leg vertical, then rotate towards the direction of your other leg. No problems this year, but I try to take things easy.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Anybody had back surgery for a herniated disc?

Only what I mentioned already, I had an interspinal device (an x-stop) put in. That's the least invasive procedure (other than the injections) and I was in the hospital for two days. Recovery was less difficult than my appendix out. The next level of invasive is the laminectomy; and the most invasive is the spinal fusion.

I have to pass on what my inter-spinal guy said in case you wind up having to decide between the lammy and the fusion; he said, "watch out, orthopedics always want to do laminectomies and neurosurgeons always want to do fusions." The implication was to make sure I got a good second opinion.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
So called MicroDiscectomy surgery is often even same day depending on what discs and overall general health. I know several folks that have had it for various issues and some reported resolution of their symptoms as soon as they woke up from surgery. Others (wife) still had some residual pain/weakness that eventually went away with a couple months of Physical Therapy. She hated the PT part since it was so uncomfortable during and the day after until she realized after a few sessions that a year+ worth of issues were actually getting better. The microdisc is done almost through fiber optics with minimal disruption of the surrounding muscle and tissues so recovery time is much faster. She has some limited activity for a week or two with slowly increasing amounts allowed, but that seems to be such an individual thing. She was basically 90% normal activity in about 2 weeks with only some limitations of lifting, etc.
I know a couple other folks that had much more rapid return to work with nearly complete resolution of their issues almost immediately

MicroDisectomy is the word they mentioned. I took some medical classes a few years ago, one of them was medical terminology. The suffix "ectomy" basically means removal, as in appendectomy, tonsillectomy, etc.

I prefer to keep all my pieces and parts, but we'll see what the verdict is, still waiting. But from your post, looks like things could turn out fairly well.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
MicroDisectomy is the word they mentioned. I took some medical classes a few years ago, one of them was medical terminology. The suffix "ectomy" basically means removal, as in appendectomy, tonsillectomy, etc.

I prefer to keep all my pieces and parts, but we'll see what the verdict is, still waiting. But from your post, looks like things could turn out fairly well.

Certainly not 100% depending of course if they fix the actual underlying issue, but overall results with this type surgery seem to be pretty good and relatively easy recovery. 2 of the guys I know who had it are MD (Cardiologist and Rheumatologist) and they have nothing but good things to say about it. My wife is a little less glowing though in the end she says it was the by far the best option. Really very little is removed or disrupted in this type surgery, but they are still poking holes is places I'd just soon not have poked. OTOH painfree is better

Very similar to differences with old school Gallbladder surgery or Appendectomy vs the laparascopic varieties. It's just amazing to see Pro athletes back on the field within a wks or two
of an Appy compared to the old style or people returning to work a few days after Gallbladder surgery vs 2 months way back.

2nd or even 3rd opinions are certainly warranted , but when time, rest , simple antiflammatories, Physical Therapy, and injected anti-inflam have all failed then more extreme answers sometimes become less extreme

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Certainly not 100% depending of course if they fix the actual underlying issue, but overall results with this type surgery seem to be pretty good and relatively easy recovery. 2 of the guys I know who had it are MD (Cardiologist and Rheumatologist) and they have nothing but good things to say about it. My wife is a little less glowing though in the end she says it was the by far the best option. Really very little is removed or disrupted in this type surgery, but they are still poking holes is places I'd just soon not have poked. OTOH painfree is better

Very similar to differences with old school Gallbladder surgery or Appendectomy vs the laparascopic varieties. It's just amazing to see Pro athletes back on the field within a wks or two
of an Appy compared to the old style or people returning to work a few days after Gallbladder surgery vs 2 months way back.

2nd or even 3rd opinions are certainly warranted , but when time, rest , simple antiflammatories, Physical Therapy, and injected anti-inflam have all failed then more extreme answers sometimes become less extreme
Actually looking forward to some type of surgery, which is not something people usually say. But like your wife, pain free would be wonderful. I've done everything you mentioned except PT. It's just to painful, I can't even begin to do what they want. No surgery scheduled yet, but it's coming up.

I had an appendectomy in 2001, never forget the date, just before the WTC attacks. It took almost two months to recover. Seemed like it was a minor surgery, but wow, your body doesn't care for it.

They've told me it will be at least two days in the hospital, so that will be some forced rest to help heal. Hopefully with tons of pain meds so I can just sleep through it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Officially now not sciatica, definite herniated disc, with surgical consult August 1st (on the cancellation list in case I can get in earlier) and eventually begin to function normally.

Another scrip for 150 high dose hydrocone, follow-up with my PCP in a month and he'll probably give me another refill, even said he may switch me to oxycodone at that time. I've been very strict with these, so this will not turn into a physical addiction problem. Talked to my doctor about how this happened. One day I'm fine, no injury, nothing to set it off, just woke up the next morning in agony. He said it had probably been building for years and the disc finally moved out of position

I certainly hope since they already know what's going on, that the "consult" August 1st will result in a surgery appointment very soon to follow. I'd like to avoid surgery, but don't think there's any other way around this.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Officially now not sciatica, definite herniated disc, with surgical consult August 1st (on the cancellation list in case I can get in earlier) and eventually begin to function normally.

Another scrip for 150 high dose hydrocone, follow-up with my PCP in a month and he'll probably give me another refill, even said he may switch me to oxycodone at that time. I've been very strict with these, so this will not turn into a physical addiction problem. Talked to my doctor about how this happened. One day I'm fine, no injury, nothing to set it off, just woke up the next morning in agony. He said it had probably been building for years and the disc finally moved out of position

I certainly hope since they already know what's going on, that the "consult" August 1st will result in a surgery appointment very soon to follow. I'd like to avoid surgery, but don't think there's any other way around this.

For your sake I hope you can get the 1st appt moved earlier. Another 6 weeks doesn't sound pleasant

Stan

Senior HTF Member
For your sake I hope you can get the 1st appt moved earlier. Another 6 weeks doesn't sound pleasant

Oddly, switched pharmacies with the latest scrip. Just happened to be grocery shopping and thought I'd check the store's prices. Literally $50 cheaper than Walgreen's, where I've been going for years. What a scam Walgreen's has been running.

Walgreen's has a discount program where you pay $20 a year, presumably to keep you as a customer so you don't shop around. Your receipt always shows how much "retail" would have been and how much you saved so it looks wonderful. But even the price after the savings is higher than many other pharmacies. I foolishly trusted them for a long time. The grocery store also has a program, but it's no charge, but guessing it's for the same reason.

Totally naive, I never shopped around, but called several other big chain places like Rite Aid and CVS today, and discovered all were cheaper than Walgreen's.

Doctor said generic substitution was fine and discovered whatever the grocery store pharmacy used was far more effective than Walgreen's. Visually they were very different pills and apparently had a different formulation for the generic version they purchased. I had no idea there could be such a difference, but I was pain-free within about an hour. The Walgreen's version helped, but weren't nearly as effective as the new ones.

Granted the pills are just a band-aid, covering up the symptoms, not curing the problem. But a huge difference in my comfort level until things can be fixed. It pays to shop around. Not just for price, but you may get better medication.

Sorry to keep rambling on about my experiences, I'm usually pretty private on the internet, but I get good advice from this forum and this may help others. Didn't set out to make this a "Bash Walgreen's" post, just pointing out some things I learned on Tuesday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks