What's new

Scart options - which one? (1 Viewer)

RobertMc

Agent
I have jsut purchased a Set Top Box that has a couple of connection options for setting it up. The unit is a TEAC DVB-420 (Australia model) that is only Standard Definition.

It has an SCART plug on the rear as well as composite video and LR audio out. There is also optical audio out as well.

My question is regarding what connection is going to give me the best picture quality to my 56" RPTV.

I currently have it set up directly to the TV and not through the A/V Receiver. I did try to put the composite audio/video through the receiver, but the connection from the AV Receiver to the RPTV is by component cable only, and the AV Receiver does not have video upconversion (Yamaha RX-V640). I presume this is why there was no image on the screen when I tried it.

So, should I be looking to get an SCART to Component video cable to run the box to the AV Receiver and use the optical connection for audio?

Or should I just run an SCART to SCART cable from the box to the TV and bypass the AV Receiver all together? Is one going to give me a better picture signal over the other.

Any hints and tips would be fantastic.
Thanks
Rob

Ben Mecham

Agent
I don't know much about SCART, but just FYI, the Yamaha RX-V640 does have composite video out to go to the TV (at least the picture of the back panel shows it). It's the very last composite connection on the bottom, it says "monitor out" next to it. You could use that if you can't use SCART.

Ben

Andrew_J_M

Auditioning
I would use SCART from the STB to the TV for video and optical audio to the receiver. SCART should give you the equivalent of S-Video quality. You may even find a SCART to S-Video converter if you want to use the receiver as a switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks