What's new

Saving recording from Direct TV DVR (1 Viewer)

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I direct a local morning newscast, and I have our Halloween show from 4 years ago still recorded in our Direct TV DVR. The day to cancel service will eventually come (it's went to total crap since the AT&T takeover) and I would love to get that show out of the DVR to archive in the HD format.

Are there any pieces of equipment that will allow me to dub that 2 and a half hour HD broadcast? I see several "snake oil" ads for devices when using Google, but nothing I would trust.

Thanks very much!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Glad i bought a few stand alone dvd recorders years ago before the market dried up. I still use it to record my favorites off Directv and yes it's a shame AT&T has lost interest in it.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
There seems to be no shortage of information on this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rec...0j69i57j0l6.8691j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thank you.

So far all I have found on the page work with RCA cables, and record to SD only except for this device called HSML Cloner Box. I will look into that one. I don't think the equipment to dub to HD is as easy to find as you seem to suggest, as I've done a few days of searching before I asked the question. I have standalone Panasonic and Toshiba DVD recorders and can record to SD, but it's keeping the format in HD is what I'm looking for.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Glad i bought a few stand alone dvd recorders years ago before the market dried up. I still use it to record my favorites off Directv and yes it's a shame AT&T has lost interest in it.

Me too on the DVD recorders. I have 2 Panasonic, and one Toshiba. One Panasonic is "iffy" now, but the other 2 machines still work great.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Me too on the DVD recorders. I have 2 Panasonic, and one Toshiba. One Panasonic is "iffy" now, but the other 2 machines still work great.
I have the same thing...2 Panasonics and a Toshiba. I have my current Panasonic hooked upped for the last 7 years and it still works and using the S-Video connection to get the best picture. The best thing about them is you can manually adjust the recording time on a disc up to 6 hours but i keep it at 3 hours or less to get the best picture. Kinda angry about the lack of Blu-ray recorders but you can buy them at a high cost.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Do not know if this helps but at least if you can get it to your pc you can burn it to a Blu-ray disc possibly. And if you have Windows 10 I know you can do what they call cast a video from your pc to your tv or blu-ray and or 4K Blu-ray player. I have Windows 10 and cast video to my Panasonic 4K blu-ray player in another room via the network. I should try and move something from my Dish Network dvr to my pc just to see if that can be done.

dvr 2 hd.jpg

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m assuming that for some reason the techie guys at your station can’t or won’t help you with this?

If nothing else, the picture with DVD recorders would be the “high end” of SD. It’s a very good picture, even if it’s not HD.

Of course, your DirecTV DVR would have to have analog outputs for that to even be considered...

Another option, you could just keep the DVR as the storage device.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks