What's new

Saving Private Ryan - Bluray (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by ahollis

Amblin does still have an interest in the films that Spielberg did for Dreamworks. Dreamworks was sold to Paramount, not Amblin. You can take GLADIATOR for example. Dreamworks co-produced it with Universal, but Amblin was not involved. The film now resides with Paramount and Universal. With Paramount having release rights, certainly one of the reasons the Blu-ray was messed up.
I'm not sure of this because I don't know the details of the deal made with Paramount for DreamWorks. Its quite possible that Amblin gave up whatever rights they held in the DreamWorks produced films when Paramount bought the company. Again with out knowing the details of that sale, its hard to say who owns what. Other that the fact that George Soros controls the films.

Doug

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I'm not sure of this because I don't know the details of the deal made with Paramount for DreamWorks. Its quite possible that Amblin gave up whatever rights they held in the DreamWorks produced films when Paramount bought the company. Again with out knowing the details of that sale, its hard to say who owns what. Other that the fact that George Soros controls the films.

Doug

George Soros sold his ownership in the Dreamworks films back to Paramount on Feb 8 for 400 million. Paramount now owns controlling interest in the films, but Amblin still has small piece in RYAN and the other films that Spielberg directed.

Interesting in that Soros purchased controlling rights for 950 million in 2006, when libraries were worth more, and that was only 51% ownership. Paramount retained the other 49% along with worldwide distribution rights and ancillary rights. Not sure what Soros gained by this deal.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by ahollis

George Soros sold his ownership in the Dreamworks films back to Paramount on Feb 8 for 400 million. Paramount now owns controlling interest in the films, but Amblin still has small piece in RYAN and the other films that Spielberg directed.

Interesting in that Soros purchased controlling rights for 950 million in 2006, when libraries were worth more, and that was only 51% ownership. Paramount retained the other 49% along with worldwide distribution rights and ancillary rights. Not sure what Soros gained by this deal.
Interesting I wasn't aware of the recent sale.

I'm sure Soro's had some angle in buying them. He didn't get where he is by being stupid.

Doug

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson

I'm curious about the potential for a DNR screwup here with these Speilberg/Dreamworks titles. Minority Report, Saving Private Ryan and (eventually) A.I. all have that stylized grainy look. Imagine if someone tried to strip this all away? Oh dear.
I predict there will be complaints about the photographic techniques used in the film, as in "what's wrong with my blu ray?! It looks grainy, and I see these weird smearing effects!" The people complaining will be oblivious to what the film is supposed to look like.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I bet that will happen too, but not here. Home Theater Forum readers are more aware. [/url]

I predict there will be complaints about the photographic techniques used in the film, as in "what's wrong with my blu ray?! It looks grainy, and I see these weird smearing effects!" The people complaining will be oblivious to what the film is supposed to look like.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
And if you answer it with 'It's intended, how it's supposed to look', you'll get the inevitable response 'Who cares if it's intended? It looks like crap to me.'

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

And if you answer it with 'It's intended, how it's supposed to look', you'll get the inevitable response 'Who cares if it's intended? It looks like crap to me.'
To which I'll respond, "if you don't like how the film looks, don't buy it, but don't dare say its look should be changed to fit your notion of what HD is 'supposed' to look like".

The funny thing was, when the DVD came out, there were claims by some know-nothings (even on HTF) that the visual artifacts seen in the opening beach scenes weren't present in the theater or on laserdisc and VHS. Those people had to be shown screencaps to prove to them that their DVD wasn't "defective". We'll see if history repeats itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks