What's new

Which titles are you most excited to hear with a lossless soundtrack? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Which titles are you most exicited to hear with a lossless soundtrack?

This includes movies that are currently out on SD-DVD and movies that are scheduled to be released on ether HD and or SD-DVD. This how ever does not include titles that allready are available with a lossless audio track. Or HD titles that are scheduled to be released in the next few months that will include a lossless audio track.

What this tread is not:
  • Not a DTS vs Dolby thread !
  • Not a MPEG2 vs VC-1 thread !
  • Not a Bluray vs HD-DVD thread !

What movies would you like to see in a high definition format recieve a lossless audio treatment? Meaning what movies do you feel should have a Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio surround track? If you would like to state what format you would prefer, that is ok.

Example: Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King - DTS-HD OR
Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King - Dolby True HD

If this tread turns into a us vs them war I will ask for a administrator to close the thread. This is about what we as movie and HT
enthusiast would like to see recieve a lossless surround mix. It is my hope that this thread might be seen by a studio and it might help influence the decision to include a lossless track on a HD titles that was going to end up with a standard digital surround mix. If enough forums and people stand up and say we want lossless audio with our HD titles. I feel we have a better chance to see that option available on more titles, and that would be a win win situation for us all !

What I would like to see recieve a lossless Dolby or DTS audio track:
  • Gladiator
  • Star Wars 1-3
  • Lord Of The Rings EE Trilogy
  • Spiderman Trilogy
  • X Men Trilogy
  • Terminator 2 & 3
  • Stargate
  • The Fifth Element
  • Van Helsing
  • Pitch Black
  • Chronicles Of Riddick
  • The Mummy
  • King Kong
  • Bourne Supremacy
  • Open Range
  • Crimson Tide
  • Star Trek Nemesis
  • Heat
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Armageddon
  • The Core
  • Hidalgo
  • The Patriot
  • The Matrix Trilgoy
  • Minority Report
  • Master And Commander: Far Side Of The World
  • 007 Die Another Day
  • Cast Away

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Truthfully, I think all HD titles should get one. I'm serious. If this is the greatest resolution yet to come image wise, then why skimp a bit on the audio. I realize though there might be very little to no extra improvement going from a Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby TrueHD in a film like...You've Got Mail? Who knows though?

In theory, High Def dvds should reach the maximum resolution in video & audio.

:)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Tim,

I really don't agree that all titles in HD should get a lossless audio track. I don't see a reason why movies like Animal House, The Dirty Dozen, Enter The Dragon, Adventures Of Robin Hood, Spartacus, Vengeance Of The Zombies, Sister Street Fighter, The Terminator, Original War Of The Worlds to name a few titles. Thats not to say that any of the above mention titles are not good films. I just feel that not all movies need or deserve a full resolution lossless audio track. For example while I love the original Terminator movie . I don't feel the audio is good enough to warrent a lossless audio track. While it can be done, there is no good reason to do it. I have the same reason for not including most of the older James Bond movies for that reason as well. IMHO you need to look at weather a movie has an audio track that is good enough to recieve a lossless track. I think the main considerations should be 1). How good is the audio quality and does it have a discrete surround mix available? 2). Does the audio mix warrrent a lossless audio mix?

I am sure there are some movies that do not have much more than simple dialog that would not benafit much from a lossless track. I guess what I am trying to say is, just because a title can get a lossless track does it automatically need one? IMO movies with powerfull and busy surround mixes should revieve lossless audio tracks. And movies with good quality audio that come from good quality masters that can benafit from lossless should recieve it as well.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I agree with Tim. If it can be done, why not do it? There's no sense in being subjective about which movie deserves a lossless track when every release can have one. Sure, some movies are more impressive audio-wise than others, but that's not a good reason that for not having lossless audio for every movie.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am still not sure I agree. Would we want to see a lossless HD version of the Three stooges? While the video would most likely look great if they can still find any high quality film stock in the vaults. Can you say why not make The Three Stooges with lossless audio? While it can be done, does it really need to be done? For now at least I would like to see movies that could really use lossless get that audio treatment.

Please enter titles you would like to see get a lossless audio track.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yes, if a lossless audio track for The Three Stooges can be done, it should. Just because it's lossless doesn't mean it as to be 7.1 surround sound. I'm sure there's some benefit to having a lossless audio track even for mono soundtracks. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the clarity would be astounding even for aged films.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although I understand Dave's reasoning - some films indeed don't need a lossless track desperately - I'm with Tim and Brett: put it on all HD discs.

Why not? And the one I wouldn't need it on, might be the one you, or she wants it on.

Now lossless is possible: do it, I'd say. No balloting.

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
Agreed, Cees.
The HD-Dvd site is called 'The Look AND Sound of Perfect' so why are , specifically Universal, who are only releasing on this format not maximising their output with all lossless releases ?
You could always have original Mono where appropriate, or for commentaries, but the fact is that without Lossless none of us are 'hearing' what the director intended anyway , at least on modern movies.

~M~

AlexBC

Second Unit
ALL tittles for sure, and with the same sampling ratio as the original master. I even started a thread about it a while ago. For me all titles should have a lossless track for the original soundtrack (be it mono, stereo, multichannel ) and the 5.1 remix (where applicable).

Even if the difference is negligible, I'm sure there will be a warm feeling at the back of my head to know that what I've got is everything like the original master.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

what?

intersting topic for a thread but why choose which titles?

my question is why not all titles.

as someone else mentioned the motto of hd dvd is
the look and sound of perfect.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good points by all, especially mine ;) :D but seriously, it does or it sure can get very subjective on which titles do get Dolby TrueHD.

Whether or not the difference is truly audible on all mixes is something we'll never know but the fact that this IS being promoted and can be done then lets do it. I would pay a few dollars more knowing I had the highest resolution possible on video AND audio.

My guess is that studios feel and I think it's mistaken that only high budget action flicks will benefit from the highest audio resolution. I strongly disagree. Give the dts version of The Sixth Sense a listen or other subtle type soundtracks and this is where that extra "room" if you will comes thru. Just my .02.

:)

What a great topic Dave !

My list :

-Event Horizon ( One on the most underestimated movie for sound. The bass extension and power is breathtaking ! )
-Blade Trilogy
-Dark City
-Spawn
-Lost In Space
-Alen Quadrilogy
-Matrix Trilogy of course
-The Hunting
-Casper
-Fight Club
-The Mummy anD The Mummy Return
-Air Force One
-True Lies
-Godzilla
-etc etc

all actions-adventure movies made after 1993
(1994 was the year than most movies were recorded in Dolby Digital )

For me I am with DAVE with the fact that a movie like FLY OVER A COCOO FEST wouln not benefit from a lossless track and better effort should be made with recent titles. I mean with KING KONG, BATMAN and the like not only I want lossless track but a lossless track with the most bits possible !

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

But why does one have to preclude the other? If an old title gets a lossless track, that doesn't mean your big blockbuster action movies can't have them too. There's no good reason to not put in maximum effort no matter what the title is. Just treat every release the same, and there's no reason for such subjectivity.

Perhaps a better question for this post would be the following: Which titles are you most exicited to hear with a lossless soundtrack?

That way we can just assume that lossless should be applied to every title, but some titles will of course sound better than others.

Also, Xavier, I don't know if you know this or not, but no one has to bring on HDMI 1.3 receivers to get DD+ and TrueHD at their full resolution. If you have a reciever with 5.1 analog inputs, you can have both right now with the A1.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Good point Brett I will edit the original post to include that sentence.

The original guidelines still are in affect.

Which titles are you most exicited to hear with a lossless soundtrack?

This includes movies that are currently out on SD-DVD and movies that are scheduled to be released on ether HD and or SD-DVD. This how ever does not include titles that allready are available with a lossless audio track. Or HD titles that are scheduled to be released in the next few months that will include a lossless audio track.

What this tread is not:
  • Not a DTS vs Dolby thread !
  • Not a MPEG2 vs VC-1 thread !
  • Not a Bluray vs HD-DVD thread !

What movies would you like to see in a high definition format recieve a lossless audio treatment? Meaning what movies do you feel should have a Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio surround track? If you would like to state what format you would prefer, that is ok.

Example: Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King - DTS-HD OR
Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King - Dolby True HD

If this tread turns into a us vs them war I will ask for a administrator to close the thread. This is about what we as movie and HT
enthusiast would like to see recieve a lossless surround mix. It is my hope that this thread might be seen by a studio and it might help influence the decision to include a lossless track on a HD titles that was going to end up with a standard digital surround mix. If enough forums and people stand up and say we want lossless audio with our HD titles. I feel we have a better chance to see that option available on more titles, and that would be a win win situation for us all !

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Black Hawk Down on Blu-ray

Release Date: 11-7-2006

Video: Widescreen 2.35:1 Color (Anamorphic)

Audio Tracks
ENGLISH: PCM 5.1
FRENCH: PCM 5.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks