What's new

Satellite Recievers for new 65HDX82 (1 Viewer)

Kenny C

Agent
I need some help from everyone if possible. I just order the Toshiba 65hdx82 HDTV. Currently I have DirectTivo.
Should I invest in a HDTV STB now or wait ? I assume there is no HDTV DirectTivo. If I should invest in a HD Decoder box, which one would you get ? I really don't want to lose my DTivo, but I feel it's a wasted not get a HD decoder.

Please advise

Thank you

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that the Samsung T-160 will output both HD SD simultaneously. There have been some reported problems with its ability to get the Tivo to record, but they may have been overcome by now. It retails for about $700.

None of the older STB, such as the Hughes E86 will output both HD and SD at the same time.

There is, so far no Tivo (or other) sets that will record in HD. You can only record in SD. If you want to record and playback in HD, the only option is to buy a DVHS deck.

As for HD STBs there are two broad choices: the last generation STBs, such as the Hughes which retail for under $500 and the newer ones such as the Sony SAT-HD200, the Samsung T-160 and the Phillips DSHD800. Toshiba and Zenith are coming out with new models as well (I think that they will both be rebadged LG STBs). All of the newer boxes retail for $700–$900. The newer models have DVI outputs and most will output 480p, 720p as well as 1080i, instead of just up-converting everything to 1080i. There have been some reported problems with both the Samsung and Sony, but they may have been resolved. I’m not current on that.

Kenny C

Agent
Thanks Lew for the replied back. From what I read here, there really isn't a best HD STB to buy. Do you have any recommendations ?

Do you know if Tivo will ever come out with a HD one ?
I really don't want to lose my DirectTivo.

Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Kenny, I expect that it will be some time before Tivo comes out with an HD model. Basic reason is disk space. HD requires a lot of information (space). Which is why the first recording devices have been tape.

And as the number of HD receivers is still very small, there is a very small market for Tivo to recover their manufacturing and development costs. I think that we will see HD Tivo when a significant number of people have HD receivers.

The way the older HD STBs, such as the Hughes E86 and RCA 100, work, you could manually switch the receiver to non-digital output and let your Tivo record your favorites. Then playback (in SD, of course) at your leisure—pretty much just as you do now.

What you cannot do with these STBs is to view in HD and record on your Tivo at the same time. So if you are big on watching a show for a while, pausing and catching up during commercials, you won’t be able to do that while watching in HD. You would have to watch in SD and record on your Tivo. The functionality would still be there, but for those shows that you wanted to record/view it would be in SD.

Note that it is not a big deal to do the manual switch from SD to HD and back.

So, in theory, a Hughes E86 would be ok if you just want to time shift TV (and are satisfied with SD) and are happy to watch HD in real time, but not to record the HD show you are watching (of course you can always spring for two STBs).

Some of the newer STBs (such as the Samsung) have the ability to output HD and SD at the same time. The advantage here is that you can watch in HD and record in SD (the same show, of course).

When the Samsung T-160 was first released, it had numerous software problems. I think that these have been fixed for the most part (DirectTV supplied the patches via downloads). However as I don’t have this STB, I’m not completely sure that everything works as advertised. I would contact DirectTV before purchasing one of these receivers.

The new Sony had reported problems of resetting from time-to-time. I don’t one of these either, so I am not too sure if this problem has been fixed. My guess was that it was a problem for some who did not have enough air as these boxes ran pretty hot, but this might be completely wrong.

I have the Hughes E86 and it works fine. However, I have a second display in my bedroom, with a second STB and use that for time-shifting. I usually keep that STB set to output SD, so everything works fine. We switch that STB to HD only when watching some HD telecast in realtime in bed (or if my wife and I have a programming conflict). I have occasionally made the error of not remembering to switch the STB back to output SD and picked up garbage.

Basically its how you want to spend your money and your viewing habits.

I will say that between progressive scan DVDs and HD TV, I am losing interest in SD TV.

Kenny C

Agent
Lew, Thank you again for the helpful information.
If I have my DirectTivo and I get a HD STB I can run them both as long as I have inputs in my B&K Ref 30. Is that correct.

My real concern is to keep my DTivo and watch HDTV when I need it. Do you think this is possible ?

Also, should i wait to get a HD STB or buy the Samsung or Sony ?

Thank you again

Kenny

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a Hughes DirecTivo and a Hughes E86. I get the best of both worlds. I'll watch a show in HD if it is available but I've always got the DTivo recording as a backup. I run my video connections directly to the TV. It's not difficult to switch between sources but I'll be making it easier with my remote and some macro programming.

-Robert

Kenny C

Agent
Robert,

Sounds good. I think i am leaning towards getting a HD STB
and having 2 hook ups to my TV. Thanks for the info.

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks