What's new

satalite receiver audio (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I have the option on my reciever to hook up optical audio. I want to know how much of average programming is in 5.1 because if not many programs offer 5.1 I see no point in buying an optical cable if I can just you an A/V to play in stereo.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
In my case, not really very much standard satellite fare. In fact, only occasional DirecTV/HBO shows seem to be in DD 5.1.

I don't know what programming you have available, but in my case, 5.1 stuff is clearly the minority.

Now, I also have some HD programming (I have a HDTivo with DirecTV HD, and OTA HDTV), and quite a lot of that is in DD 5.1, so from that perspective, I do benefit from having a digital connection.

BGL

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I dont have an HD decoder but that doesn't mean I won't get 5.1 from an Hd signal does it?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Some HD programs are in DD 5.1. some are not. Its a bit of a crap shoot at the moment.

BGL

PeterK

Supporting Actor
also, if I do hook up my via optical, will my receiver auomatically detect a 5.1 signal or do I always have to be in the know how as to what programming is in 5.1 to set it on my receiver. I have the Sony DE597.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Your receiver should handle it automatically.

If its 5.1 you'll get that. If its DD 2.0, it will most likely decode it into Pro Logic, although you will normally be able to also choose DTS NEO:6, stereo, or any other mode that exists for 2CH content.

BGL

PeterK

Supporting Actor
ya i've got prologic I and II and neo:6 one other thing but cant think of it at the moment.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That means you won't get an HD signal at all.

DD is available on a few HBO and Showtime channels and select PPV showings. If you get an HD receiver, it will be available on the HD channels as well. Sometimes DD 5.1. Sometimes DD 2.0. It all depends on the source.

-Robert

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Oops...misread your post...thought you said you DID have an HD decoder.

Sorry, Robert knows how to read better than I do!

BGL

Matt_ES

Agent
I had Dish Network for a couple years, and I don't ever recall the receiver breaking anything down into 5.1 or surround.

But, Comcast Cable offered me a free year, so I took it.

The video is not as clean as sat. was, but the sound is devine!!!

Band of Brothers had Nazi's conversing outside my window, and mortar shells were blowing up down the street, as well as half-track tanks driving outside across the sidewalk. Truely amazing.

Every commercial now is in surround. And ESPN flashes graphics over my livingroom.

I hope satellite starts doing the same! When my year's up, I may switch back.

But I can vouch for digital cable, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks