What's new

Sarah McLachlan - Afterglow (Merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Bought this today from the iTunes store(price and conveninence of making an impulse buy from home being big factors ;)
Gave a listen to a couple of songs and I'm pleasently suprised. Closer to Surfacing than Solace or Fumbling but it seems like it's overall a solid album, just not groundbreaking material. I concur tha AMG summed it up well. Though I will say that Fallen is probably the best single she's had since Possesion was first starting to hit the airwaves.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The more I play this album, the more I enjoy it. Perhaps it takes a few listens to get it into that comfortable familiar zone (you know, where you can anticipate the next song's opening riff after the current one ends). I went through and listened to some tracks of Surfacing last night and was amazed all over again as well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It may be "more of the same" but since I have always liked "the same" I am more than okay with this! :)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Wow Craig, you lucky b@$t@rd! This is supposed to air on November 9 and I would assume on Oxygen network. I have Dish Network. Do I get this? I don't recall it being part of my dish package. *EDIT* Never mind - Dishnetwork doesn't carry Oxygen. I'll have to get my friend to record it who has DirecTV.

MikeOle

Auditioning
If you like Fallen and Answer, definately check out the exlusive live "piano" versions on iTunes - very cool...

Mike

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm just about to rediscover Sarah...when Fumbling was released, I was entranced with the music. I fell away from music for many reasons and subsequently missed Surfacing. It will be fun to listen to that album and Afterglow later.

Sarah and Ash were staring at each other.
BTW...who is Ash?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Stupid" reminds me of "The path of thorns" in spots before you get to the chorus. Some of the other songs also have that pre-FTE sound to them.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Love this disc so far and I'm sure, as with all of Sarah's stuff, it will grow on me more and more. The one thing I wish she did was get more daring on her vocals and reach those high notes like she did on "Fear".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I like her vocals on Surfacing a bit more than the new albumm because they were more hypnotic for me on Surfacing.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
listened to the entire album on my lunch hour today. I'm starting to dig it. The only songs that I remember standing out where obviously Fallen and Train Wreck. Train Wreck may be the sleeper hit of the album for me(what Back Door Man was to Solace, Ice was to Fumbling, and Witness or Black and White was to Surfacing).
The others were good but I just didn't get a chance to listen to them multiple times. I'm pretty happy with the album. I agree though with what was said earlier that some of the songs sound a bit like Solace (theres some that remind me of Terms and I Will Not Forget You).

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Picked it up today for $10.00. Had a chance to listen to the first four songs in the car and then the whole CD at home. I can't say that I hear anything too new on this CD. One song sound pretty much like the rest. Maybe I need to hear it a few times. But, I'd say right now it's pretty forgettable over all.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've listened to Afterglow three times through now and have to say that overall I'm disappointed. It's a fine enough collection of songs but there's nothing new or particularly memorable here. With so much time and new life experience since her last effort I expected Sarah to have more interesting things to say, and more creative ways of saying them. This is pretty much formula songwriting in my opinion. Afterglow feels more like a contractual obligation fulfilled than the first studio album in 5 years from one of the best singer/songwriters of our generation.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Watched the show on Oxygen last night.. one word.. AWESOME..

Damn, Ash is one lucky dude.

Avril... well, one word too.. "sucked". no where near the emotion in her vocals as Sarah.

I actually didn't know Sarah was multi talented. I have never paid attention to liner notes nor have I seen here live or on tape before. First time seeing her play guitar, and she was good.

Must get this for one of Wife's christmas presents. We both think she is hot!

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I got this the day it came out and Im loving it! Fallen, Answer, Train Wreck and Time im digging alot.

To me this is Surfacing, Solace and Fumbling rolled together.

Any news on her hitting the road?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Drifting" is the only song I'd toss off the album. "Perfect Girl" and "Dirty Little Secret" are okay, but not as well constructed (to my ears) as the rest of the album in terms of production.

Vocally, I still think "Surfacing" is Sarah's best. But "Fumbling" is more better sounding album overall.

Greg Black

Second Unit
I'd like to hear a "country" remix of "Drifting" as I also agree it'd make a good country song, though I don't think I'd take it off the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks