What's new

Samsung 1080p LCD DLP - opinions? (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

I have owned a Samsung 720P/1080i DLP (HL-N61W I think) for the last 4 years or so. It is connected via HDMI/DVI to my HD DVD player and the picture can be quite stunning at times. That is my only HD content at this time but I may consider Blu ray or HDTV at some point.

The build quality has been excellent and I have had no problems with the set. After 4 years, I have not had to change the lamp (although I am about to pick a couple of bulb ups for the inevitable).

I am wondering if the newer versions of this TV (there is a 72" version that caught my eye) will be a significant improvement in picture quality over my current set? IS straight HDMI better than HDMI/DVI?

Does anyone own one or has anyone done a recent upgrade that can comment? Are the LCD DLP better than the color wheel DLP's? Are Samsung the best available or is there other manaufacturers producing as good quality?
I really like the DLP size to value ratio (and the ability to fix it if something goes wrong).

Thanks for the comments.

Dave

SethH

Senior HTF Member

The choices for DLP rear projection are Samsung and Mitsubishi (Toshiba recently left the business). Both companies make great sets. Mitsubishi does not currently offer LED. Both companies have plans to make laser-based DLP sets this year, but there's no specific date set yet. Lasers a supposed to offer much better picture quality and extend the life even further than LED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks