What's new

Samson & Delilah coming to Blu ray (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
ClassicFlix sent me an email stating DeMille's Samson and Delilah is coming to Blu ray March 11 from Paramount.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Much as I wanted to add it to my collection, I passed on the DVD release earlier this year, so I'll be happy to get the Blu-ray when it comes.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Why didn't Paramount just do it right and offer the BD the first time around? That standard DVD only release caused a lot of bad feelings. I've had my Spanish one for a long time now. It will suffice.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Why didn't Paramount just do it right and offer the BD the first time around? That standard DVD only release caused a lot of bad feelings.
It didn't cause me any bad feelings. It just gave me a chance to spend my money on other discs while I waited patiently.---------------

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
John Hermes said:
I have the German BD release. Looks nice.
Yep, I have the Italian release & it looks great. When you put the disc in & all the languages come up, it defaults to English, so I'm sure the American disc will be the same Blu, but with a US cover.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Don't mind double dipping this at all. I was pleased with the DVD and am very happy we got the opportunity to upgrade.

Any chance any extra features were included on the blu-ray?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I've got the German Blu-ray as well. I was looking at it last night. Pretty fantastic looking, but alas no extras, not even a trailer. However, the original overture is included.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
My mom passed away in March of this year. We watched "Samson And Delilah", her old favourite, on the just-released DVD a couple of weeks before, and had a wonderful time. The Blu-Ray will be great to have, but I'll always be happy that they put out a DVD.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ed Lachmann said:
Why didn't Paramount just do it right and offer the BD the first time around?
exact same thought I had when WB originally released Best Years of Our Lives, once the got the Goldwyn titles, only to release it later on blu, and now possibly it is getting a full restoration. Makes me wonder if I should get the upcoming Stella Dallas, and other Goldwyn titles, or wait and see.

This on the other hand is great news for me as I didn't get the previous DVD release

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Correction to above post:
Henry King directed the 1925 Stella Dallas with Ronald Colman and Belle Bennett. Bennett's performance is quite good, and I hope Lumenick's report is true. It is a film worth seeing and has been absent for a very long time. You'll also catch a young Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., as the young man who marries Laurel Dallas.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bob Cashill said:
Lou Lumenick at the NY Post reports that the new STELLA DALLAS DVD includes director King Vidor's 1925 silent version (minus music).
Wh-aaaat?? That's it. Insta-buy!

Edit: On the Amazon image of the back cover, it says "Stella Dallas Vintage Featurette." If this is the silent feature, it's a pretty odd way to advertise it.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
If that's the case, that is brilliant news!
Bob, would you have a link? I tried searching the New York Post and came up with nothing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CECIL B. DEMILLE’S EPIC MASTERPIECE ARRIVES IN SPECTACULAR HIGH DEFINITION FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER​
SAMSON AND DELILAH
Fully Restored Version of the Academy Award®-Winning Biblical Tour de Force
Debuts on Blu-ray™ March 11, 2014​
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Legendary director Cecil B. DeMille’s timeless classic SAMSON AND DELILAH makes its highly-anticipated Blu-ray debut on March 11, 2014 from Paramount Home Media Distribution. Available for home viewing in sparkling high definition for the first time ever, the lavish production earned five Academy Award® nominations and won for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design by renowned designer Edith Head. Starring Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr in the title roles, SAMSON AND DELILAH tells the story of the Bible’s fabled strongman and the woman who seduces and betrays him. The film also stars venerable actors George Sanders, Angela Lansbury and Henry Wilcoxon, plus a cast of thousands.
Relive Samson’s incredible feats as never before, including his battle with a lion, his single-handed assault on a thousand Philistine soldiers, his struggle with a giant and finally the spectacular climax in which he pulls down the pagan temple. This 1949 classic was scanned in 4K and restored to its original Technicolor vibrancy, which so enthralled theater audiences more than 60 years ago.
Arriving just in time for Easter, the SAMSON AND DELILAH Blu-ray includes the original theatrical trailer and will be presented in 1080p high definition with English Mono Dolby TrueHD, French Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital, as well as English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

SAMSON AND DELILAH Blu-ray
Street Date: March 11, 2014
SRP: $24.99 U.S.
Runtime: 133 minutes
U.S. Rating: Not Rated
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
JoHud said:
Wh-aaaat?? That's it. Insta-buy!

Edit: On the Amazon image of the back cover, it says "Stella Dallas Vintage Featurette." If this is the silent feature, it's a pretty odd way to advertise it.
For what it's worth, the menu and scene index listed for the DVD over at barnesandnoble.com show that it's labeled "Stella Dallas (1925)" and contains 11 chapters.
Scene IndexDisc #1 -- Stella Dallas1. Chapter 1 [4:18]2. Chapter 2 [6:25]3. Chapter 3 [5:05]4. Chapter 4 [2:50]5. Chapter 5 [3:23]6. Chapter 6 [3:19]7. Chapter 7 [4:55]8. Chapter 8 [2:17]9. Chapter 9 [5:04]10. Chapter 10 [3:37]11. Chapter 11 [4:47]12. Chapter 12 [5:11]13. Chapter 13 [4:55]14. Chapter 14 [9:45]15. Chapter 15 [4:58]16. Chapter 16 [8:00]17. Chapter 17 [2:49]18. Chapter 18 [10:57]19. Chapter 19 [8:32]
20. Chapter 20 [4:17]
1. Chapter 1 [10:10]2. Chapter 2 [11:52]3. Chapter 3 [8:14]4. Chapter 4 [9:39]5. Chapter 5 [8:13]6. Chapter 6 [10:55]7. Chapter 7 [11:41]8. Chapter 8 [10:19]9. Chapter 9 [8:48]10. Chapter 10 [9:24]11. Chapter 11 [10:35]

MenuDisc #1 -- Stella Dallas Play Chapters Languages Audio English Subtitles English Subtitles (For The Deaf And Hard Of Hearing): On Français Subtitles: On Español Subtitles: On Subtitles: Off Special Feature Stella Dallas (1925) Play Chapters

And in on-topic-ness, I'm excited for the Samson and Delilah Blu-Ray, especially seeing as it will include the theatrical trailer, which was omitted from the DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SmsnDllh_BRD_3D.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks