Salvador Dali/Disney short coming to DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Oct 14, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

http://www.npr.org/display_pages/fea...e_1462300.html

2. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I can't wait for this!

Have you heard any more rumors about this "compilation" treasures set and what it may include, or for that matter any other treasures set that may be in the works?

I'd love to see Disney pull out some True Life Adventures, Zorro, People and Places, Song of the South, Mickey Mouse Club, Swamp Fox and put them in these wonderful little tins!

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Great.

About two seconds of this short was actually animated before it was abandoned. I saw the two seconds of original animation theatrically last year, as part of an Unseen Disney show presented by Scott McQueen. Great show, a lot of good stuff seen, but the Dali animation was the most memorable. Think a moving Dali painting. Quite unlike any animation I have ever seen.

I was excited (and surprised) to learn that this short was completed. I am looking forward to seeing it - if not theatrically, at least on DVD. Should be good.

4. Eric Zoink

Eric Zoink Auditioning

I'd love to see the silent Black and White Alice shorts!
    And also vol 2 of Mickey B&W uncut of course.
    After the wartime set, those would be my dream sets.

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

What's funny is that a friend of mine with close ties to the House of Mouse tells me that the Dali cartoon wasn't revived because of a desire to make art. The truth is that the original contract with Disney stipulated that if the film was not completed before a certain date that the original work that Dali submitted to the project would revert to the ownership of his estate. They did it for financial reasons. Still and all, I hope that the film turns out well despite its quick and dirty production.

6. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff
    That's pretty much what Roy O. says on the NPR piece. Disney would own the artwork if they completed the film.

7. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I'm a huge Dali fan (I have this 800-page hardcover album of most of his artwork) and this is indeed a dream come true.

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

If anyone wants to see it on the big screen, it is being shown with Barbarian Invasions at the New York Film Festival this weekend.

Ted

9. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Wow, this is interesting news. Would make for a nice DVD release.

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    If I'm not mistaken, this was originally proposed as a part of the ongoing "Fantasia" programme; at least, that's what we're led to believe by the supplemental materials for the Fantasia Anthology and Bette Midler's intro of the Steadfast Tin Soldier in Fantasia 2000.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Any word on what else could be in a "compilation tressures Set"? I'd probably crap if this ever came out, as I'm yet to be disappointed by any of the treasures.

I'm sure we'll see a True Life Adventures set in the next wave, as it was rumored for wave 2, along with the war time set and Captain Syn, and gaps in the numbering would indicate that they were in production.

Anyword on how they finished the animation? It would be a shame if it had original hand animation that then blended into computer stuff. Nothing beats the old trad ways that Disney did animation, Sleeping Beauty shows that in spades!
    Computer stuff is fine, it just doesn't blend well (to my eyes).

12. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff
    Ward Kimball's "It's Tough to be a Bird" would be a perfect fit for a compilation set.

13. PaulP

PaulP Producer