What's new

Running out of power? (1 Viewer)

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
My awesome subwoofer which is a ported Blueprint 1001 flubs out when I turn it up all the way-all the way (turning down the other channels and turning the sub all the way up). I'm driving it with a 150-watt Parts Express subwoofer amplifier and the lights dim and the box gives port noise like heck, but I am planning to move to a dual-passive radiator cube design and want to know if I should save up for a big 250-watt plate amp as well. The woofer handles up to 300 watts, but probably more for short burps. Oh, and another thing: I'm going to college next year...fun, fun. Especially with the biggest stereo on the floor of the dorm (or probably the entire dorm)...definitely the biggest woofer in the building, and without a doubt the best quality. Noise violations, here I come!

Anyway, back to my questions:

1. Would two of the Stryke PR's be good for this?
2. Should I ask for a 250w plate amp for christmas?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Rory,

Can you post the T/S parameters for that woofer here? I'll model it for you and see what you need for PR's. Also, if you're going to get that 250W amp, look at the AMP350 that we have on special. Cheaper than most of the 250W amps now.

John

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mr. Janowitz, but that's a little easier said than done.

You see, my woofer is the older version of the Blueprint Drivers model 1001 10". They just recently released a NEW 1001 which has a different motor and different T/S parameters. The older 1001 has a motor with double-stacked magnets, and the new 1001 has only a single magnet.

So I don't exactly have easy access to the T/S parameters of the original 1001 but I could email "Blueprint Pat" and see if thay have the information on file.

Overall the woofer has been great. I don't need performance like the AV12 to knock things off the wall in my closet. When I'm listening to loud bassy music I hear random *thud* noises from my closet. One time it was an empty computer case. It cracked the plastic and stuff.

The only reason I'm considering PR's is because I get lots of port noises on big booms. There's also a leak around the edge of the driver that I haven't yet been able to seal with Parts Express speaker caulk. I am considering using silicone sealant instead.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rory,

IIRC, Pat no longer owns Blueprint. Also, only use silicone sealant if you never, ever, ever, ever expect to remove the driver ever again. You'll likely destroy the driver and/or the enclosure trying to do so. It's also my understanding that you can have pretty similar results with the PE speaker caulk. Closed cell foam weather stripping is your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks