What's new

Rules of Engagement ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I though there was zero cast chemistry in this pilot, and I have no idea why Oliver Hudson continues to get acting jobs in Hollywood. At least the other Dawson's Creek alumnus, Bianca Kajlich, is easy on the eyes. Warburton was too lowkey, and didn't have good lines. Spade was spade, but not enough of his character to produce much in terms of laughs.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
As I often do, I enjoyed Patrick Warburton and David spade in this show. I hope it improves as I pull for those two in whatever they do.

I'll give it a few more episodes, although, I probably won't get the opportunity.

C

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
I sat through the pilot of this, and to be honest I didn't even crack a smile, let alone get near laughing. "Happy Hour" was much better, and that only lasted four episodes. It's not in the same class as "Old Christine".

Incidentally, are there any US comedies that aren't directed by Andy Ackerman these days?

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I thought this past Monday's episode was one of the funniest yet. I was laughing out loud. The dance lessons was a scream. I hope this show comes back. It looks like it really hasn't caught on with Wharburton/Spade fans. Could be because of the chemistry with the wife could be better. Other than that flaw I think the show is very funny.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Glad to see this one is back. And Russel's assistant, Timmy, looks to be a permanent part of the cast. Jeff was very funny in the office scenes and his would be confession at the end had me laughing hard. I find this show much more entertaining that Accidentally on Purpose.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I've done a complete 180 on this show. I watched the pilot and the first few shows and gave up on it. On the advice of a friend, I watched it at the tail end of last season. For some reason it clicked this time, and my wife and I got hooked. The only real changes were that they firmed up the Oliver Hudson character and turned him into a clueless but funny dummy, and his boring fiancee got pushed into the background. Putting Spade and Wharburton up front made the show much, much better.
But the big difference, I believe, is that I started watching with my wife -- there's a lot of very traditional "battle of sexes" material here, and in my younger, single days, i would have dismissed it off as hackneyed. After 6 years of marriage, you can hear the ring of truth. These tropes are successful because, as much as you hate to admit it, most marriages are the same. And the jokes work on that level. I find myself enjoying shows centered around families with kids a lot more than used to for the same reason. Not to say I'm going to buy According to Jim Season One on DVD anytime soon (I mean, I have some standards), but I'm very happy that there isn't a hole in the Monday night schedule between Mother and Men anymore (BTW, you suck, Most Recent Jenna Elfman Failure Show).

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Love this show. Glad to see it is back on!~!

I liked the last episode. Both me and the wife were laughing pretty darn hard. Especially the scene with the "Phone Retrieval" and the "Confession" scene. Cracked us up!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
My wife and I are big fans, too and are really glad it's finally back. It is great to see Timmy a permanent part of the show. I agree with Hanson - Warburton and Spade sell the show, but all the other regulars are just the right flavor to balance it all out.

Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
This is one of those shows that is just quietly good week after week, and for that very reason doesn't draw as much comment as some others. I agree with all of the above comments, although I still think Adam and Jennifer are the weakest characters. Jennifer is hot, but dull, and I don't generally find stupid funny. In the right mood I might chuckle at a Three Stooges short, and I can handle Happy Gilmore on a good day, but the rest of Adam Sandler's purely comedic films leave men cold, and I could never sit through something like Dumb and Dumber. I deal with too many stupid people in my day to day life to find them entertaining. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif Adam is just too much of a one-note character. Audrey, on the other hand, is great. I love Megyn Price in the role. She looked kinda cute with that eye-patch, too. I think they should bring that look back from time to time. And yes, wonderful that Adhir Kalyan is in the main titles as Timmy. He's a good actor and that is a very good role. Plus the way the put him in the titles is very funny. He really is Russell's most significant relationship.
Regards,
Joe

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
I love this show.

Warburton is great in everything he does.

Megyn Price is also excellent.

I really enjoy Adam and Jennifer. On many of the episodes Adam makes me laugh the most.

Spade is funny, but sometimes too one-track.

Timmy is definitely a good addition.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
(BTW, you suck, Most Recent Jenna Elfman Failure Show).
Yeah. I keep wanting to like Accidentally on Purpose (as I tried to like her last flop, whose title I can't even remember.) I could never stand Dharma and Greg, because the whole premise was so lame, but I've often liked Elfman a lot when she's guest-starred on other shows. There is definitely something likable about her (OK - plus I personally think she's hot), and she was terrific on a couple of episodes of Two-and-a-Half Men. But no one has ever found a way to build a sitcom around her where she's the sole lead. I think she could have worked in a show like Samantha Who?, but sadly she got the pregnant cougar series. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
Regards,
Joe

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Russel: Someone here is not using their brain.

Adam: Is it me?

Really enjoyed the episode - the wife and I were laughing out loud through most of it. Would have liked a bit more Timmy..

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Just caught this episode (DVR). The second conversation of the ghost at the table in the diner was classic.

Russel and Timmy play off each other pretty damn well. I think they are really funny when the go back and forth.

Great season so far!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Last night, I had to pause the DVR while I composed myself after Adam told Jennifer how much hair gel he used: "About the size of a peach."

I couldn't get the image out of my head of Adam forming a peach-sized mound of hair gel in his hand, then smearing it all over his head.... Priceless.

Thought the Russel stuff was bit too serious a subject matter for his character - to me, it kept the show from getting into a groove.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Timmy's fiancee looks like an Indian Julia Louis Dreyfuss.
The whole "homogenic" story was reminiscent of Barney's perfect picture plot from HIMYM, but I thought the gay thing was funnier, if only because it was more plausible. The scene with Timmy trying to take a straight picture of Adam was hilarious.
Also hilarious was the scene in the diner where everyone was ragging on Russell, but Adam had nothing. If they're going to make him this dumb, they're going to have to have an episode with a funny justification for why his fiancee is with him.
Thank God there's at least something on Monday that isn't a rerun. Correction -- something I watch that isn't a rerun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks