What's new

RPTV Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and am putting together a home entertainment center. I've been researching RPTVs and have come down to 3 finalists - The Mitsubishi Diamond or Platinum series 65's, The Hitachi Ultravision XWX or SWX lines or, a late entry, the Theater Wide Toshiba. I'm leaning towards the Mits but have some issues with the differences between the Platinum and Diamond. The CRTs are the same but it appears the 2 models use slightly different lenses. I'm wondering if there is any difference in the picture between the 2, if there isn't I will obviously go with the cheaper Platinum Series. The other RPTV I was considering was the Hitachi SWX line, which utilizes the same CRT and lense system as the more expensive XWX line but is missing the IEEE 1394 interface and built in HD reciever. That actually to me isn't as big a deal as the gawd awful gray borders on that ugly cabinet, LOL. The XWX line looks much better. 2 major home theater publications have given the SWX glowing reviews. Now, I was pretty much decided between these 2 models when I was confronted with the Toshiba Flagship model HDTVs. A local dealer, who sells all of them, prefers the Toshiba over them all - and it did look good. Now, the Mitsubishi that it was sitting next to was the Gold Series 65. I know the CRTs in the Gold is different than the Platinum and when I saw the Platinum in the other showroom I was really impressed with it more so than the Gold Series. It was a 55 tho, hopefully that isn't the reason because I really want the big theater look a 65 gives you. The Toshiba took me by surprise because I haven't seen it mentioned in the major publications like the Hitachi and Mitsubishi's have been. You would have figured a nice set like that would have glowing reviews like the other two. But, in any case that just makes my decision tougher, haha. Any knowledge or expertise concerning these issues would be greatly appreciated. I'm especially interested in the difference technically between the Platinum and Diamond series in the Mitsubishi's. THANX GUYS!!

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the Toshiba looks good doesn't it. I was very impressed with the HD signal being displayed on a Toshiba HDX model. One disadvantage the Toshiba has is that the 540 upconversion it does is not the best and thus loses some fine detail. I still think it looks excellent though. Also, the Toshiba is regarded as having the best stretch modes for 4:3 material.

The Hitachi would be my top pick for superior picture quality. After it was given a very good review by The Perfect Vision the editor-in-Chief Robert Harley actually bought the set. This should speak volumes of the set's quality.

I don't know about the Mitsu's lenses. Sorry.

Good luck in your search.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Note that the Hitachis also do upconversion to 540p or 1080i, and in my experience don't look as good as the latest Toshibas when displaying SD material. I'd probably go for the Mits Platinum or Platinum Plus lines, but any modern set will look wonderful with some careful tweaking.

The Mits Diamond series have higher quality lenses which will translate to a higher picture quality, of course at a higher cost. But the Platinum/Platinum Plus are no slouch either, especially after calibration.

Thanx for the help! Man, there is alot of choices out there nowadays! I read that PVM article on the Hitachi and saw that very editorial about Robert Harley actually buying the set. I also saw the review the Mits had in that mag, I read both the Hitachi and Mits reviews extensively. Another question I had was this - the 65 and the 55 use the same size guns. Will the picture quality be effected in any way jumping up from a 55 to a 65 because of this? I noticed the 73 inch model has 9 inch guns. Thanx for the help guys, most of you know more about this stuff than I do so far. I'm learning tho! Has anyone in here calibrated and seen the Diamonds AND the Platinums? If so, is there any differences in picture quality? This is a $1000 swing in price of the 2 sets and that $1000 would buy a nice subwoofer!;) haha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks