What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Not much enthusiasm here for "Rogue One"!

Yeah -- We know the Rebels will be successful in obtaining the Death Star Plans (Duh!)

But here's why I'm excited to see the movie:
* Darth Vader at the height of his ruthlessness.
* A look at the complete canvas of the Rebel Alliance; and its connection with "Star Wars Rebels".
* Connections to the Prequel Trilogy. There are rumors out there that we will learn some startling information about some of the characters that were featured in the Prequel Trilogy. Think of it as the "Disneyfication" of those series of movies. There could also be a direct connection to one or more of the major characters in the new Sequel Trilogy.

I actually *can't wait* to see this movie!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not much enthusiasm here for "Rogue One"!

Yeah -- We know the Rebels will be successful in obtaining the Death Star Plans (Duh!)

But here's why I'm excited to see the movie:
* Darth Vader at the height of his ruthlessness.
* A look at the complete canvas of the Rebel Alliance; and its connection with "Star Wars Rebels".
* Connections to the Prequel Trilogy. There are rumors out there that we will learn some startling information about some of the characters that were featured in the Prequel Trilogy. Think of it as the "Disneyfication" of those series of movies. There could also be a direct connection to one or more of the major characters in the new Sequel Trilogy.

I actually *can't wait* to see this movie!
I'm actually hoping that they don't have too much with Darth Vader in Rogue One. I want to see him kick some ass but I want them to leave me wanting more of him as well. When they've used Vader on Rebels, it's been awesome and I think it's partly because his appearances are infrequent so it's always been important when he's shown up.

Speaking of Rebels, it'll be fun to go back and look at the things that they've likely already dropped into that show that are from Rogue One. There's already been at least some connection to RO last season when they went to Geonosis and saw the wreckage of a project there.

And when I get down to it, Forest Whitaker being in a Star Wars movie is enough to get me excited.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually hoping that they don't have too much with Darth Vader in Rogue One. I want to see him kick some ass but I want them to leave me wanting more of him as well. When they've used Vader on Rebels, it's been awesome and I think it's partly because his appearances are infrequent so it's always been important when he's shown up.

I agree about Vader. His SW:Rebels appearance in "Twilight of the Apprentice" when he flew in standing on his Tie Fighter(!) and wielding his activated lightsaber was awesome to the extreme. I'd *love* to see a live action iteration of that scene!
All in all, he was only in 4 eps in the second season and each appearance was relatively brief; and the lightsaber duel with Jarrus and Bridger in "The Siege of Lothal" was predictably and overwhelmingly one-sided. I imagine this is similar to the way he will be utilized in "Rogue One".

There have already been some hints dropped in SW:REB regarding the expected revelations of one or more prequel characters in "Rogue One".
It will be interesting to see if the characters involved in those revelations are expanded upon in the TV series after the movie is released.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I got the chance to ask Dave Filoni about using Vader when Rebels was first announced and he made a point then of saying that his approach if they used Vader (at the time this was before Season 1) it would have to be sparingly - he didnt want to diminish his power in any way (if the Rebels keep escaping from Vader in the TV show it makes him look weaker) and also once he shows up, he dominate the entire story and can overshadow the rest.

I fully expect a similar approach in Rogue One - Mendelssohn is the key villain and Vader will probably be in a few scenes with him but I expect little else.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I got the chance to ask Dave Filoni about using Vader when Rebels was first announced and he made a point then of saying that his approach if they used Vader (at the time this was before Season 1) it would have to be sparingly - he didnt want to diminish his power in any way (if the Rebels keep escaping from Vader in the TV show it makes him look weaker) and also once he shows up, he dominate the entire story and can overshadow the rest.
In a similar vein, another thing that they did well is that when Kanan and Ezra faced off against Vader, they were clearly overmatched and the best they could do was stay alive long enough to escape. They didn't dumb down Vader's abilities just so they can keep having episodes where he shows up to fight with the main characters time and again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To me, the more interesting part of Vader's appearance in Rebels is his confrontation with Ahsoka.

You know Kanan and Ezra can't defeat Vader because he's in the next three movies that take place after the series. So while Vader can in theory harm them, they are extremely limited (in a larger storytelling sense) in what they can do to him.

But someone at sometime was bound to discover who Vader was under the mask, and that's something never really covered in any of the movies. It's known who he is, but the moment of discovery about Vader by someone who had known Anakin is never explored. That's fertile storytelling ground with a lot of freedom for the showrunners. Ahsoka isn't in the movies so her reactions aren't known to us in advance and don't have to fit in with anything we've seen before. We know he can't die, but we also know we never see her in a movie, so she can. If she forces him to question what he has become before ultimately embracing it, it's dramatically interesting. If he kills her, that fits in with what we know Vader has become, and is also a powerful moment if the master kills the pupil - a reversal of what we've seen in previous Star Wars movies.

To me, the Ahsoka-Vader dynamic is storytelling gold.

Random rebels challenging him to a fight we know they can't win? Not very interesting to me.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Indeed, that has been a problem with Rebels regarding the stormtroopers, which never seemed that menacing in the films. Sure, they look menacing, but they drop like bowling pins. In Rebels, it's even worse -- the stormtroopers are repeatedly defeated so easily every week (often by a couple of teenagers), it's a genuine wonder how the Empire maintains control over anything.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Since I was really disappointed with The Force Awakens, I lost interest in the direction Disney was taking the Star Wars franchise and really didn't care if I saw any more of the new films... Until I saw the new Rogue One trailer. Sign me up to go see this! I still don't care about seeing episodes VIII and IX but Rogue One looks like it will be a fantastic entry into the Star Wars universe. I can't wait.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I'm still guardedly optimistic. The trailer looks great, but then again so did the The Phantom Menace trailer. From what I've seen though, the characters don't seem as appealing or identifiable as they were in the OT which may put off audiences.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The red eye? That was only in one movie, in Star Wars. So I don't know if you can say it was right. What about ESB and ROTJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FFMichael
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale