What's new

Roger Moore Commentaries & John Lowry On Bond Ultimate Editions (1 Viewer)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I'm buying Blu-ray (HD-DVD is dead out of the gate).

In any case, I'm not sure holding off gets you naything. How long did we have to wait for the Star Wars films after the 1997 LD SE release?

Since Blu-ray software will be slow to ramp up, many many titles (including mainstream ones) wil wait for YEARS to be released. Until a title is officially announced, it doesn't exist. I'm buying a PS3 on release day (whenever the hell that is) but I'm not weighing in on whether to buy a DVD or not yet.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Hopefully Lowry got to take their sweet time restoring these. A lot more than 3 films to deal with. If there are any major coloring problems, the previous editions may become collector's items.

I have a feeling these will be okay though. At least we don't have to worry about Bond's lightsaber being the right color or anything.:)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It seems that LDI isn't always in charge of the color timing. For example, ILM did all the color correction for the Star Wars DVD's, while LDI only did dirt/grain/scar removal.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
No way I'm buying these AGAIN after getting the DVD boxed sets already and having previously owned all the VHS tapes once or twice each. Forget it.

And forget re-re-re-re-buying them for HD and/or Blu-Ray as well; because after those we'll have to re-buy on Super Duper-HDDDD and Polka Dot Ray.

Maybe I'll just try watching the films...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Didn't I hear that Mi Casa got a hold of the original stems for these films? That way they could do really good 5.1 or whatever discrete mixes.

As far as I know all of the scores and songs were recorded in stereo or multi-track (and if so 5.1 score mixes might be created), so they could be released that way on the new mixes if they really dug deep for the master scoring tapes.

I hope they also mastered the remixes in 24/96 or higher for the eventual Blu-Ray discs so those could be placed on the discs in lossless MLP or uncompressed LPCM master quality form along side 1920x1080p/24 high bitrate video.

One can also hope for the international, uncut versions this time around too... a bit more action and a bit more "naughty" bits compared to the U.S. cut versions supposedly.

I can dream, can't I? :D

The original sountrack to Live And Let Die was released on Quad 8-track back in the day. I have one, it's great. The entire thing is in great quad, it will make a great addition to the film.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'll be purchasing these new LDI-enhanced Bonds as soon as they're released.

Ya' know ... It's possible that the SD-DVD and Blu-ray versions of the transfer will be on the same disc! (The technology has already been developed to allow that.) Has anybody thought of that? It would be a *great* way for Sony to jump-start the format!

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

The DVDs of the first 3 films have an AR of 1.75:1 (there is extremely slight side-boxing, which even 1% overscan would cover). The DVD of The Man With the Golden Gun has an AR of 1.78:1 (which looks just fine for this film). I'm not sure about Live and Let Die.

-Lyle J.P.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Yeah, I actually have been remembering to watch them after I posted that. The letterboxed DAF also looked like it was from a PAL source.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Interesting news about DAF on AMC. I missed it last night, but Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and On Her Majesty's Secret Service were all shown at 2.35:1.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
They actually don't show the letterboxed ones until after the full screen one the night it premieres. Which they mention in every commercial break over and over and over.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
As I have held off on buying the Bond sets and am nowhere near an HD-ready setup, I'll gladly spring for these... might be the only one though. ;)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Jonathan,

Your track record says otherwise. ;)

If the releases are terrific looking, many of us (including me) will get certain titles again. Now, if they are stupid enough to go to boxsets (once again) they can pound sand.

But individual titles? Hell I love the colors in the Dr. No DVD but would love to have a DVD that seems more like as if I were seeing the film again in '62. If that turns out to be the case ... I'm double dipping for a few titles along with most of you guys. ;)

Time will tell.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Fair point.:)

The difference now, though, is that there is the prospect of a newer format coming along. Even I didn't shell out for yet another version of the VHS tapes when DVD was coming along, and the same applies now with HD looming on the horizon. Plus, I'm married with a mortgage whereas back then I wasn't!;)

No, I'm quite happy with my existing Bonds until either (a) the new releases drop drastically in price, or (b) HD versions come along.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

I agree! I will not buy this but wait until the HD version later on. Hell, I still have only LD on many of the bond movies.

I really hope they also transfer in right ratio this time. But I don't think they will :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks