What's new

Rodriguez working on "Faculty", "Roadracers" and "Spy Kids" SE's (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
According to an article on the score for "Sin City" at soundtrack.net, Robert Rodriguez is finally working on Special Editions of "The Faculty", "Roadracers" (which has never been released on DVD before, although it had a release date a few years ago that never materialized) and "Spy Kids" to be released later this year. You can read the article here, but while it's an interesting read, there is absolutely no further information on the DVD's. Still, it's good news. I've held off on these DVD's because of how great RR's DVD's usually are, and I knew he'd give them the proper treatment eventually (and "The Faculty" isn't worth owning without special features anyway). I don't have the "Spy Kids" sequels, either, because I'm hoping for a trilogy box set. Now if we could only get an anamorphic "From Dusk Till Dawn", we'd be set.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
good news on the SE, I have to disagree though, Roadracers is easily the weakest of RR's films (although I have't seen Spy Kids 3D, so I could be wrong).

All of these are Dimension I beleive, so maybe we well get a box set after all? Roadracers was made for Showtime (I think) but maybe he still has some control on it.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Dimension does own all three, including "Roadracers". I don't think we'll see "Spy Kids" in a box set with "The Faculty" and "Roadracers" any time soon. The box set I'm hoping for is the "Spy Kids" trilogy. Anyways, I'll still say that "The Faculty" is his worst work by far. It's practically unwatchable. "Roadracers" may not be groundbreaking but it's a lot of fun. "Spy Kids 3D: Game Over" was a step-down quality wise from the first two (which were great) but I'll still watch it over "The Faculty" any day of the week. Anyways, the article says they're coming later this year, I'll bet their release coincides with the "Sin City" DVD.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
ROADRACERS has its moments, but isn't up to MARIACHI.

As for THE FACULTY, I wasn't a fan, but it is probably the least Rodriguez film he made. Dimension said they would finance SPY KIDS only if he directed it, so he was basically just a hired gun for it.

SIN CITY though was amazing. Can't wait for that on DVD.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I think "El Mariachi" is overrated. Given the circumstances, it's an amazing achievement, but pretty much everyone saw "independent" and "foreign language" and thought it was some sort of art-house masterpiece. Robert Rodriguez himself will tell you that "El Mariachi" was nothing more than an attempt to learn film by shooting an exploitation movie for the Mexican home video market. On that level, it's amazing, but there's really nothing more to "El Mariachi" than what's on the surface. Once again, I'd take "Mariachi" over "The Faculty" but I don't think it's without it's flaws, endearing as they may be.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if anyone saw it as a masterpiece, just an extremely entertaining film made for $7,000. Probably one of the most influential films of the 90's as well.

I still think it is one of his best, much more fun than the two sequels.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
A Faculty SE DVD? Yes!! I love this movie! I and some of my friends are clearly visible in the football scene. I consider it my 15 minutes. Of course this probably influences my view of the film. :D

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting since Hurricane Charley ate my dvds to replace all 3 Spy Kids for the SE & hopefully all 3 in a box set. I'll also be getting the Faculty for the first time. Great news.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I remember hearing that the Faculty was cut for violence, perhaps a directors cut or something. Hell, even the trialer had some scenes that weren't in the movie.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
There have been rumors of a Faculty: SE for years; especially when there were additional rumors when Dimension was considering releasing a direct-to-video sequel to it (thank God that never happened).

I personally love The Faculty (a b-movie at it's finest) and I hope the DVD includes all the footage cut out of the film (including the subplots with Usher and his girlfriend's characters).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks