What's new

Rockstar: INXS (1 Viewer)

SarahG

Second Unit
I hope I can get into this. I only saw some of it and it was ok. I think I need to watch a whole episode and I might be hooked.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Elephant in the room
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.)

The elephant in the room (also elephant in the living room, elephant in the corner) is an English idiom for some issue that is extremely obvious to a group of people, but which is very carefully not being discussed. It derives its symbolic meaning from the fact that an elephant would indeed be conspicuous and remarkable in a small room; thus the idiom also implies a value judgment that the issue should be discussed openly. The idiom is commonly used in addiction recovery terminology to describe the reluctance of friends and family of an addicted person to discuss the person's problem, thus aiding the person in their denial.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Must not have been extremely obvious ;)

I don't feel this way at all about the suicide. It was sad, but a long time ago. Life goes on. That is probably why I didn't know what being refered to as the elephant. (I did know what it meant)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I think they handled the issue of Hutchence's death as best they could. It happened in late '97, so it's not like INXS has exactly rushed to replace him. Other than mentioning it at the top of the first episode, I don't think we'll hear it brought up again.

I've enjoyed the series so far and think it's a nice twist on American Idol. I also like that while the audience votes will determine who makes the bottom three, I think it's appropriate that the band decides who goes.

After the first night, my initial feeling was that Jessica would win. I'm not so sure after last night, although my reasoning for her (or a female) is that it adds sex appeal to a band of middle-aged guys and mostly eliminates the problem of the singer being scrutinized for stealing Hutchence's style. That said, if a guy wins, Brandon seems to have the inside track, especially since he seems out of the same mold.

And give it up for the house band.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

I second that. I was also impressed with the American Idol House house band this season, who were able to deliver multiple themes live without a hitch.

Clearly, the singers and band here have had ample rehearsal time, based on the edited times and jazzed up versions presented. They do however really rock out and the excellent drummer manages some nice drumstock flourishes for those with a keen eye. Interesting how the one singer last night got kudos from the INXS boy's by drawing attention to the house band players during her song. Nice move.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Well, that is if you don't include their stints with Jimmy Barnes and Terrence Trent Darby.

One thing I don't like is that they are making it seem like Tim Farriss is the man in INXS when we all know that it's Andrew who is the guy to be impressing.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Definitely, it was obvious when JD had time to do that arrangement of California Dreamin' and the band was right with him.

I pretty much agree with Patrick's assessment above, but I move Neal into the "Not Good Enough" category. I just can't see a guy doing a (bad) Jagger imitation fronting INXS.

Facially, Brandon reminds me of a younger version of Neil Young and I like how he goes barefoot on stage, just like Ronnie Van Zant. He may also have an edge since he's the only one we've seen play an instrument (acoustic guitar).

Rob

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was pretty amazing how much they crammed into the 30 minute timeslot for the elimination show, but I liked how they give the bottom 3 votegetters one more shot to sing their way back into the competition. Suzie was the best of the bottom 3, but Tara lucked up because Will is incapable of listening to direction (stop singing only to the front row of girls!), and was promptly booted out of the competition.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

I am wondering how he even made it to the right place and time for the show.

Did they have everyone rehease several INXS songs before the elimination or are we to assume that on cue, the three lowest rocksters jump into a song not of their choice? Maybe if the songs were exact version of the original, it would be like karaoke, but most songs seem to be edited enough that walking into them would be treacherous. I realize that any of these contestants better know INXS material, but the performances are too good to be done cold

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I also wonder why the performances are more polished than they should be.

Will was the worst of all 15.

Are they going to recycle INXS's hit songs for the bottom 3 contestants to sing?

~T

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

That will get old, real fast.

I believe the people in the Mayan are there for a lot longer than we see....and the actual time between commercial breaks could be in hours and days.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I felt for the House Band (who are quite good BTW) having to play INXS hits with all the surviving members of the band sitting right there.

Wil's ouster was justifiable homicide. Dude, if they tell you to play to the back row, play to the back row. Did he even want to move on in the competition?

Rob

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps, each contestant is assigned an INXS song in the event they are in the bottom 3, so then, each contestant can work on their INXS song for a day or so, just in case they are indeed in the bottom three.

Or, hell, INXS just takes it for granted that each and everyone of these contestants should know the INXS catalog, and be able to perform any of their more notable hits at the drop of a hat.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the INXS guys, are they reading from a teleprompter or something? They're very unnatural when they talk.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Anthony, whatever do you mean? "...our band, INXS..." doesn't sound natural to you? :)

~T

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
it's good they're carrying on, but change the name? I mean, INXS is synonimous with Michael Hutchense. He was the leader, the posterboy, the star, the other guys were just backup. It'd be like Michael Stipe dying and R.E.M. carrying on with someone new, or Bono dying and U2 replacing him. At least change the name of the band ala Alter Bridge/New Order

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My bottom 3:

Neal - exposed for the one-trick pony that he is. He has no chance to front INXS.

Tara - she doesn't have the voice for this gig.

Jessica - not quite right for this band either. Didn't think she sounded all that good.

The rest:

Marty - consistent performance once again.

Suzie - not bad, rebounded nicely.

Ty - yes, a bit theatrical, but can rev to the red line easily. He looked dissed, though by the comments after his performance.

Daphna - okay, but didn't kill her song.

J.D. - another interesting performance, but has to learn to keep his dismissive comments to himself.

Mig - came through on a tough song and didn't falter. He might be too pretty for the band, though.

Heather - I didn't think she did this song any favors, was a little bored by it.

Deanna - not even close to the greatness of R.E.M. for her song non-choice. Towards the end, she was just wailing just to get to the finish line.

Jordis - a little shaky at the start, pulled it together by the first chorus, and came through well enough, but I like the Hoobastank version better.

Brandon - good song for him, but I still find his voice high and thin.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I think Neal's a goner tonight. His Mick Jagger schtick couldn't get him through last night. This is not the band for you, guy. Tara and Deanna get a reprieve for a week.

Marty seems too obviously "performing" to me, but it'll probably keep him around awhile.

After the first show I thought that either Jessica (total change of pace from Hutchence, sex appeal for a band getting older) or Brandon were the frontrunners. I better amend that. Jessica looks entirely one-dimensional and probably will be among those cut in the first half unless she adapts.

So put me down for J.D. or Brandon as the eventual winner.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
J.D.'s just not as mature in some respects, and they might give him an edge that that band wants, but then again, do you want him to create negative drama for your band? At least he's got ideas when covering songs to give them a different spin, rather than delivering a rock karaoke performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.