What's new

Rock N Roll is the best album I have heard in years... (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I bought it on Cee-Dee and have played it through a few times. Filter my comments as coming from the viewpoint of someone who never heard Ryan Adams before, save for a few on-line samples from Gold (which I HATED BTW).

No question about the U2 thing. If it was not intentional, I'd be shocked. As for the rest, I find that the first two or three tracks don't do much for my, musically or sonically.

But after that, the tunes and the sound seems to improve. I have to say though, that Ryan's voice is an acquired taste, methinks.

But again, I am hearing a LOT of different things on this. I can't really nail it down, but this whole thing is one big derivative. And its not like he took something and and re-interpreted it. Its taking something old, changing the lyrics, tweaking the tempo here or there, and feeding it to a new audience that doesn't know the difference, or care.

I guess I am just a cranky old guy, but I have done my damndest to listen to some new stuff, rather than continuously pining for hi-rez releases of the stuff I grew up with (Well, all right, I will be honest. I still can't wait for The Beatles, Zep, and Sabbath on hi-rez).

But I digress. The last few CDs I bought were Ryan, The Donnas, and Jett. Sure, I like 'em all, but there ain't nuthin' new there. Its just late 60's/70's, with a smattering of 80's pop/punk, done by kids, so other kids will buy it and thing its new and cool.

It ain't new. It was done before. Repeatedly. And better. I guess we are at the end of the line for what you can do with Guitar/Bass/Drums and Vocal, and still be even remotely original.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Rant mode now off.

I am going back to the old folks home now.

BGL

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Kamyiu, that's one tough critic!!! She seems to be having too much fun assinating her prey.:thumbsdown: Even if some of her criticisms are valid (which they are), who cares! You play the record and enjoy it or not. Calling his music "cartoonish" was amusing. What rock music isn't a bit cartoonish? It's not exactly some high-brow, artsy fartsy thang now is it, rock and roll?!? Best wishes! :)

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, she may have missed the point although i'm not really a fan of ryan adams and i haven't heard the new album. i have gold and demolition and they don't do much for me.

the reviews on pitchfork are generally kinda pretentious and i don't swear by them. it's almost like indie-snobbery. i go there more for information, since they tend to cover most of the music i listen to.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It was done before. Repeatedly. And better.
I can't agree Brian. While this style of rock has been done often before, I find this album to be original in its lyrics and very creative in music...

I think people may have a tendency to take these things way too seriously like that mis-guided critic.

Rock N Roll is meant to be a fun album-read the Spin interview.

And this is a lot more fun than many albums out these days.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

i bought gold right after i saw what i thought was an excellent performance at the bridge school shows last year. for me, it just seemed to lack the heart and personality of his set. maybe even kinda overproduced (now i've done it). i even bought demolition, thinking that might be better, but i was disappointed. perhaps i'll give those discs another chance. believe me, i wanted to like them, although i keep reading that the whiskytown stuff is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks