What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robin Hood on TCM squeezed and cropped (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
When a 2.35 movie is cropped to 1.85 or 1.78 on a TV broadcast, you are missing about 20 to 25%.

Okay, I was just guessing, but obviously missing a lot of what was originally filmed. ;)

Still loving that HBO is showing more and more films OAR. Black bars above/below the picture, but the sides aren't chopped off.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I was just guessing, but obviously missing a lot of what was originally filmed. ;)

Still loving that HBO is showing more and more films OAR. Black bars above/below the picture, but the sides aren't chopped off.

Showtime is very good about this. They always (from what I can tell) show 2.35:1 material unmodifed. Some movies, such as T2 or The Abyss seem to always be shown at 2.35:1 regardless of network. The first 3 Indiana Jones movies are similar and seem to always be shown 2.35:1 on cable. Oddly, Crystal Skull seems to be an exception and is cropped to 1.78:1.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I hate the cropping also but it's not as bad as the old days when all TV's were 1.33. The images below are about 2.35, 1.85 and 1.33.

s235.jpg

s178.jpg

s133.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I hate the cropping also but it's not as bad as the old days when all TV's were 1.33. The images below are about 2.35, 1.85 and 1.33.

View attachment 36383
View attachment 36384
View attachment 36385

Man, that last image is shocking. It's amazing that's the kind of stuff we had to put up with in our younger years. I was a projectionist in the mid '80s, so very picky about what I watch. So much stuff chopped and cropped, it was awful.

Things are much better now, not perfect, but more and more channels are finally going OAR.

Joe S

Second Unit
I noticed the COZI channel was showing some 1.33 shows squeezed. Looked like they were for a SmartPhone or something. I was able to adjust the TV format to expand, but the image quality was pretty bad... well it always is on COZI.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Man, that last image is shocking. It's amazing that's the kind of stuff we had to put up with in our younger years. I was a projectionist in the mid '80s, so very picky about what I watch. So much stuff chopped and cropped, it was awful.

Things are much better now, not perfect, but more and more channels are finally going OAR.
True. I find that even most newer prime time shows on SD channels are no longer severely cropped, or are subject to the extremely annoying AR shifting! That just drives me nuts!

CHEERS! :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Funny, this reminds me of a certain Monty Python sketch ;) :

CHEERS! :)

Very cute. Have never seen that before.

Reminds me of "Life of Brian". I'm allowed to say this, but from now on I want you all to call me Loretta :D

Actually, please don't, :rolleyes:

Very few people will probably understand that joke, it goes back many years.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Since I have Verizon Fios I am still not privileged to get TCM HD. Fios recently added the HD feed of FXM which shows classic Fox movies in the mornings. How they could choose that station over TCM for HD is beyond me. As always Fios makes no announcement when they add an HD feed for a channel that was previously only available in SD. Its just there one day and you have to notice it. This is the reason I don't filter my channel selections by Favorites. End of rant.

I have to use the favorites filter because there is so much crap even in the subscribed filter. But I also have it set up to automatically tune to the HD channel when the SD channel is selected. That's actually how I found out FXM was put in HD.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
FXM is annoying because they show Cinemascope pictures @ 1.78 instead of @ 2:35. Seems idiotic to zoom in with an HD feed. And they interrupt films for commercials.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I have to use the favorites filter because there is so much crap even in the subscribed filter. But I also have it set up to automatically tune to the HD channel when the SD channel is selected. That's actually how I found out FXM was put in HD.

Thank goodness for the favorites filter where I can create my own list of channels. Have DISH Network. Who knows how many crappy shopping and infomercial channels they have, but I've got a list of about 30 HD channels that I keep on the menu. Looked for it but don't think they have FXM.

Really good system and I've had it for so long, don't even have to look at the remote. Just a muscle memory kind of thing. I know where all the buttons are.

Other than a few things like Star Trek: Voyager, MTM and a few other older shows, everything seems to be HD.

Odd that Voyager is 1.33 (totally guessing that number, but it's just a big square picture in the middle of the TV), yet Next Gen, which is older is almost full widescreen, just a tiny bit of black bars on the edges.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Watching "The Glass Bottom Boat", one of those silly Doris Day comedies from the '60s.

TCM is showing it OAR. HDTV and it's got black bars top and bottom, I'm guessing good old fashioned CinemaScope. Nice to see things as they were meant to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks