What's new

Rising Fuel prices, War and Voter fraud!! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm by far, no vegetarian, but I don't see how cooking an animal alive is any different than slaughtering them for food? In all actuality, boiling a lobster is probably a less gruesome/painful death than a cow being gutted with a razor sharp machine.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Mark, the accepted practice is to stun the cow in the head with an electric prod/stunner thingy.

Of course, if you read Fast Food Nation, it doesn't always work out that way...

"Moo! MooooooooOo!" *grind grind chop chop* "moooOOoooOoo!!" *splat*

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Danny, Jeff was confirming that my impression of "Chop Suey" being stewed vegetables was correct. your description of "Singapore noodles" sounds like any number of possible noodle dishes we get here (none called "Singapore" though), depending on variations like whether it's slathered with soy sauce or not.

and Jeff, it may interest you to know that to the Brits, "Asian" tends to be associated with people from the Indian subcontinent instead, without distinguishing between Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis; I suppose that Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are considered "Orientals".

meat for food: many are vegetarians on the principle that raising and slaughtering animals is cruel. or that kiling any living thing is against their religion. so if the day comes that we can take a sample of a cow's rump, and grow a nice slab of steak in a petri-dish, would such vegetarians have a problem with eating "lab-grown" steaks? discuss.

sheesh, we're going a little off-topic here aren't we?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Weird how a thread can take a direction in which you would never expect
I just thought it was strange to be on the front page and I thought the word didn't even exist for that matter.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
If you cook lobster correctly, you dump them headfirst into boiling water, killing them instantly
And as long as thier claws are held back too. Usually people throw them in with thier claws hanging down.

The other reason (besides the obvious) in making sure the lobsters head hits the water first is that the instant killing will be quick and the lobster won't have time to react. If the claws are allowed to hit the water first, the lobster will feel it and the pain will make him cringe, thus making the meat 'tough'. The instant death will keep the lobster as relaxed as possible and make the meat tender.

david stark

Second Unit
not that I have ever done this before I get metaphorically lynched on here, but..

I thought you put live lobsters in cold water and bought them up to the boil, or is this just an old wives tale?? Is the putting them straight into boiling water and killing them instantly (with claws pulled back of course) the traditional way of doing it or is it now just done this way because of animal rights??

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The other reason (besides the obvious) in making sure the lobsters head hits the water first is that the instant killing will be quick and the lobster won't have time to react. If the claws are allowed to hit the water first, the lobster will feel it and the pain will make him cringe, thus making the meat 'tough'. The instant death will keep the lobster as relaxed as possible and make the meat tender.
What was the obvious reason? Sorry, didn't get it. If it's the "humane" reason, I have a hard time believing that it would be the primary motivation for a particular way of preparing food.

It is only a couple of years ago that it occured to me that lobsters and others seafoods were cooked alive. Kinda creepy. But then again, that link said they don't feel pain.

--
Holadem

David Susilo

Screenwriter
At least in Canada, Singapore Noodle means rice noodle with shimp, ham, and green onions stir-fried in a spicy sauce.

Although I've been to Singapore more than 30 times in my life, I don't see what's so Singaporean about those Singapore Noodles.

oh, in certain parts of Indonesia, we eat dogs too.

(seems like many parts of the world eat dogs :) )

btw, if eating animals are in-humane, why then, are they made of meat? :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
many are vegetarians on the principle that raising and slaughtering animals is cruel. or that kiling any living thing is against their religion.
Er, last time I checked vegetables and other plants were "living things." So it seems to me you either subsist on rocks and minerals, or you choose some arbitrary line on the spectrum of living things beyond which you won't go. For some people this seems to be "living things that can move on their own", for others "living things that are cute" and for still others "living things that are members of my own species." (And there are a few who don't draw the line even there.)

The "obvious reason" for tying back a lobster's claws is to prevent the lobster from using them on you. :)

And yes, the idea is to kill other food animals before butchering and cooking them.

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Er, last time I checked vegetables and other plants were "living things."
Doesn't it have to do something with the "soul"? Like, it's not right to eat anything that has a soul and has "feelings"? I realize it's hard to prove whether or not a plant has a soul and recent studies have proven that plant have "feelings" (i.e. reactions), but I'm sure it boils down (no pun intended) to more than just a "living thing"...although, I like to use that comment too :D

-What? You don't eat anything that has a heart? Then I guess you should avoid Artichokes and Lettuce :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's more of anything that is considered an animal. Vegetarians don't generalize and say they won't eat anything that is "living" because that would contradict their entire lifestyle.
Among the many reasons for being a vegetarian are health, ecological, and religious concerns, dislike of meat, compassion for animals, belief in non-violence, and economics.
I know a Vegan who won't eat Jello because gelatin is made of hooves.

david stark

Second Unit
I know a Vegan who won't eat Jello because gelatin is made of hooves
isn't there also gelatin in some chocolate? I thought there was a veggie version/substitute for it that was pretty widely used.

I know some vegetarians that do the same with cheese. I think some cheeses still have renet in them which is made from beef I think.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I know a non-vegetarian/non-vegan who doesn't eat jello because it is made of hooves :D

I could never be a vegan, because I cannot live without ice cream.... MMmmmmmmmmm ice cream...

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think some cheeses still have renet in them which is made from beef I think.
You're right.
http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/cheese.htm

Damn! It's kinda like on the Simpsons where they go to The Slaughterhouse for dinner

Marge: Ooh, look, a complimentary basket of hooves. [opens the menu] Hmm, beef salad, beef on the cob, beef fried beef ... is there anything on the menu that isn't meat?
Waiter: Hah. Not likely!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks