What's new

Rising Fuel prices, War and Voter fraud!! (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I read the news today, O Boy.....

Well it's actually a San Francisco Chronicle newspaper I found in the wall of my house dated October 7, 1904

Coal prices were up to $7 a ton

The Headlines were the battle of Port Arthur.Japan was preparing for a long War with Russia. War expense was calculated at $1,000,000,000 or $20 per capita. Special dispatches were from St Petersburg and Tokyo.

Local voter fraud was being fought with a new invention, the voting machine! They were on exhibition at the time of the paper....we will be getting them any day now
:D

In other news Misses' two piece Tailor Suits were a whopping $7.50
Real Estate lots were going for $10 a lot!

Mrs Grace Dory attempted to steal 3 picture frames from the Emporium and will be tried for Petty Larceny. Her husband is a Machinist and they have 5 children

In New York the Pennsylvania Railroad was acquiring a block of land near the Brooklyn terminus of the Long Island Railroad for skyscrapers

Mont Pelee was belching Balls of fire

Cat Meat in Pittsburg used for chop suew. The Humane socity aroused by the use of this ingredient for the Chinese Delicacy

And on the science front: a French doctor has a Bacillus which will give indefinite long life!!

Anyways thought it was interesting and how the news never really changes much

Grant

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Cat Meat in Pittsburg used for chop suew. The Humane socity aroused by the use of this ingredient for the Chinese Delicacy
Definatley false, for one thing, Chop Suey is an American dish. The story goes that the President didn't know what to serve the Chinese ambassador, and he had the cook toss something together. And it's the Koreans that eat dog and cat :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Jeff
I heard the same story. Those are the exact words and the paper is from 1904. Our house was built in 1894 but they got that new fangled high tech electricity in 1904 ....the wiring was next to the gas lighting.
It continues:
Those living in the Chinese quarters affect indifference in regard to the crusade against them. Evidence of the practice is said to be in the possession of the humane society, which will enter a complaint of cruelty against certain Chinese.

Strange wording but thats what it says

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I liked the one about the lots going for $10. a pop. This was 18 months before the infamous 1906 quake!

I wonder how many suckers took that one and built earthquake fodder on them! :)

Glenn

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
SF moved west about a block a year. The center of the city survived pretty well.. the fire afterwards destroyed more then the quake.
Most in my neighborhood lasted through both... many were killed by real bad tastes in the 50s & 60s
Yes tear down the Victorian and put up bad stucco

Maybe the bad drugs wiped out their tastes

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Definatley false, for one thing, Chop Suey is an American dish. ... And it's the Koreans that eat dog and cat
Thank you Jeff! :D

to this day, I don't know what Chop Suey is. or rather, I vaguely have some impression that it's mixed vegetables or something similar.

by the same token, when I was in London I saw stalls selling "Singapore noodles", and although I'm from Singapore I thought to myself, "what's that?" :D

(I believe that it's what we would call "hokkien noodles" here. not that anyone else is interested. so I'll shut up now. :D )

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hey, it's not just the Koreans, us Chinese eat dogs too.
The people from the north of my country eat dogs also. We from the south find the practice despicable so we eat cats instead. Tis considered a delicacy... It's actually not common at all, and probably only happens in rural areas. Eh... it's a big planet, lots of strange things happen all the time.

I think I have made a few enemies this morning.

--
Holadem

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Zen, what honors?

It was commonplace to refer to all asians as "Chinese" well into the middle part of the century. In fact in the inner city where my mom teaches, any store owned by an Asian regardless of national origin is called "The Chinese Store"

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
it's noodles and vegetables sort of stewed
That's Singapore Noodles?? I was thinking it's rice noodle with shimp, ham, and green onions stir-fried in a spicy sauce. OMG, I am hungry now.

OK, I will be the first one to admit....I have eaten dog meat before. This happened when I was a kid and visiting relatives in Guangzhou, China (it was Canton, China back then). People from Hong Kong, where it's illegal to eat dogs, used to travel across the border to the Mainland for this delicacy. My memory of this episode was that it tasted like beef.

Just for the hell of it, I will try Chow Suey one of these days......

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
to this day, I don't know what Chop Suey is
My old middle school History teacher once pulled a fast one on us. He was discussing Korea with us and he thought that we weren't paying attention, so he threw in the line "...and Koreas chief crop is Chop Suey..." just to see how many were paying attention.

Luckily I laughed at the joke, which showed I was paying attention (and also proved that I knew what Chop Suey was) :D

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> The people from the north of my country eat dogs also. We from the south find the practice despicable so we eat cats instead.

So eating cats is less offensive than eating dogs?

Actually, I don't see much difference between eating cats & dogs vs. cows, pigs, sheep, etc., as long as you're not eating someone's pet.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
So eating cats is less offensive than eating dogs?
Chris, I was hoping it would be obvious that I was aware of the irony of the situation. To answer your question, I find the double standard as strange as you do, which just goes to show how different cultures who are within 500 miles of each other can be, before even we get into cultures seperated by an ocean.

And I agree with the rest of your post.

What was this thread about again?

--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks