What's new

Riding Lawn Mowers (1 Viewer)

Joe S

Second Unit
I have a Simplicity Coronet 30 inch cut riding mower I bought in 2004. It's been running fine until today. I think the hydrostatic transmission is dying. It didn't seem to have normal power and was making some awful noises.

So, I go looking online for what new mowers are available at local dealers and all they seem to have are "garden tractors" , the smallest having a 42 inch cut. I don't need a 17 HP 42" machine and I'm not even sure it would fit in my garage without interfering with things like moving my car or bicycle.
When did the "riding mower" of the past get phased out? There may be some cheap ones, but they tend to be junk.
I plan to check out Home Depot and a couple other places this week. Maybe it would be worth it to have my old one repaired.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm still seeing several 30-36inch mowers at Lowes (the old Craftsman brand) and Troybuilt 30-36 in Home Depot models. Nothing under $1000 though, but if you can get 10-15 years of life that's a pretty good investment.

A couple of these look very similar to the Coronet in design at least

Cub Cadet still makes a very well regarded small mower CC30H -- or maybe d/c after 2019, but HD did sell it and possibly could have an Floor Model less thant eh 1500 std price

I/m going to guess the demise of Sears has something to do with this, but a Local Hardware store or smaller store like Ace might have something. The bigger John Deere, Cub Cadet, Husq store are more likely to cater to the higher end but could have some small units or even low mileage tradeins which might be worth while.

Last edited:

Joe S

Second Unit
Thanks. That CC30H looks like a suitable replacement. I didn't see it on the local dealer websites but I will ask about it. I have a Cub Cadet snowblower I got a couple years ago.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. That CC30H looks like a suitable replacement. I didn't see it on the local dealer websites but I will ask about it. I have a Cub Cadet snowblower I got a couple years ago.

It appears it was discontinued sometime in the last year so maybe HD or a local Cub Cadet dealer might have one in stock. I never owned a CC, but know a few friends who swear by them

I've had 2 Deere models over the last 25+ years -- the X series steel models, not the plastic Lowes models. First one (38in) lasted me close to 18 years and little things finally made me replace it with a new model 6-7 yrs ago with a 42in. If this one gives me another 10 I'll be happy though I suspect it will be cutting grass long after I've given up the chore. Given how much I abuse the poor things I'm surprised they haven't bitten me more often.

Joe S

Second Unit
Doesn't seem to be discontinued, found it on the Cub Cadet website.
Called my dealer and they have nine in stock. Went over there and another customer was looking at the one on the showroom floor. I took a look and bought one, to be delivered in a couple days.

I had a John Deere rider in the 80s. I think I replaced the transmission once and a few other things started to go. Sold it for a hundred bucks.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Maybe discontinued from a couple retail stores and not a D/c model? Either way so much the better if it meets what you need.

The Home Depot listing stamped it discontinued so I assumed incorrectly which side did the d/c -- though looking at the listing further it seems you can still order it

Joe S

Second Unit
Interesting, but maybe discontinued for those dealers. It can get confusing when you're shopping for one. I would hope there will always be a market for that style/size mower.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks