Richard Lester's THREE MUSKETEERS and FOUR MUSKETEERS now on Blu in the U.K.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Go to Amazon U.K. You can buy each movie singly or both in a set (for only two pounds more than each single disc). I have these on order and will report back after I view them. I can't wait - like a kid at Christmas time!

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

I love these movies and am anxious to know about their quality.

3. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Thankfully, I put off buying the Anchor Bay release (somehow). I have high expectations for this release, ad will likely buy them soon. I've never seen these movies, but they definitely look worthwhile.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Both films appear to have been quite heavily digitally processed; still frames have a really odd posterized look (not as bad in motion), something very similar to Optimum's Don't Look Now. I don't quite know that the story is, but I don't waste any angst over it. Just FYI.

5. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Agreed, but I can't say it bothered me too much, either (the smaller the monitor, the smaller the problems/issues appear, it seems). Much refreshed over the Anchor Bay discs--but, the DVDs have a few extras (these are barebones) and are better packaged, so you may want to hang onto them.

6. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

Any screen caps available somewhere?

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I haven't seen any yet, and I can't do them. It's *not* a disaster by any means, folks seem generally happy - YMMV; just don't expect a cutting edge transfer...

8. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

Any official or inofficial reviews/comments anywhere else?

I got Anchor Bay's 2003 double-disc set of "The Complete Musketeers" and I am wondering if

the picture quality is a step up or down from that.

9. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    No reviews as yet; I have that Anchor Bay set - IMHO the BD is a step up and one worth taking at the price. Depending on your screen size, you probably won't notice too much amiss.

10. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Thanks for the heads up. Also, just noticed that the Anchor Bay set was ported to a Lions Gate release last year. I'll be getting that one since it is cheaper.

11. bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal Stunt Coordinator

Paul
    I recently bought the Lionsgate 2-disc set, only to learn that the films had been released on Bluray in the UK. Then I saw the blurays in a store here in Australia - a separate Australian release with different cover art - and they were dirt cheap, so I grabbed them. I have done some close side-by-side comparisons. The DVD are darker and duller than the blurays. The blus have a very bright look to them and skin tones seem to been more towards the orange. I'm not sure what the film originally looked like, but I think I prefer the more laid back skin tones of the DVD. Some scenes are a bit blown out in the whites. I'm sure there is noise reduction there. However, there's no doubt that there is a lot more detail on the blus, and some scenes I compared really look so much better on the blurays. I'll be going to the blurays for my next screening of these films - despite the niggles I mention, I don't think they'll get in the way of enjoying these films. They are a hoot.

12. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Any news/rumors on a potential U.S. release? How about a true Complete set that would also include The Return Of The Musketeers? David

13. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I watched the Blus last weekend. Today, I compared the Anchor Bay DVD of the first film with the Blu-ray. My main problem with the Blu-ray is the brightness you referred to. It's like some filtering has been removed. In the chess scene, the Blu-ray is so bright I felt like I needed sunglasses. When the Cardinal is standing with the palace behind him, the palace and sky all just look overly bright and white. On the DVD, the scene looks as if a shade cloth is over the set, casting a shadow on the King and his hangers-on; and the palace and sky are clear and properly delineated. In the scene where d'Artagnan follows Constance as she is on her way to meet with the Duke of Buckingham, I have always assumed that the scene is set at night, or at least dawn. When I saw the film on broadcast TV, the scenes were extremely dark. On the DVD, they are still fairly dark. However, on the Blu, it almost looks like the scenes are set in the afternoon. So, it appears to me that some day for night type of filtering is absent on the Blu-ray. Over all, I like the Blus. Very detailed, with all the brocaded fabrics, lace, etc.