What's new

Richard Donner R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Rumor had it that he was going direct another Lethal Weapon movie and Gibson and Glover were on board for it. That would have been interesting.

R.I.P. 🙁
Well, I can tell you that Lethal Weapon 5 has already been made

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I rewatched Superman last night and decided to go with the three hour TV cut. I know it’s not close to being Donner’s preferred version but I wanted to really step into that world and stay there for a while, and I wanted to appreciate the enormity of Donner’s achievement. To have had that many balls in the air at once, juggling that cast and those set pieces, was an incredible achievement. There might be other films I like more, but there probably isn’t one that I have as much fun watching or that’s been with me every step of my life.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I rewatched Superman last night and decided to go with the three hour TV cut. I know it’s not close to being Donner’s preferred version but I wanted to really step into that world and stay there for a while, and I wanted to appreciate the enormity of Donner’s achievement. To have had that many balls in the air at once, juggling that cast and those set pieces, was an incredible achievement. There might be other films I like more, but there probably isn’t one that I have as much fun watching or that’s been with me every step of my life.

not to mention dealing with notoriously difficult producers

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
We watched the 4K disc last night. This is such a fantastic movie and easily one of my favorites.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As noted in that tweet Adam posted, Kevin Feige also started out working under Richard Donner and his wife on the X-Men franchise. Feige of course is now the most powerful and successful producer in Hollywood with the continued pop culture dominance of the MCU. So even on films that he didn't direct or produce personally, Donner's influence is very much felt today.

I wonder if there might be a dedication card added to one of Marvel's upcoming films?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm at a loss for what to say. There are a lot of his films and TV episodes that I haven't seen. And of the ones I have seen, there are some that weren't especially great films. But I don't think there's a single one where I wasn't glad I saw it.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Superman: The Movie was one of the formative films for me. I’ve loved so many films and shows he directed but that work in particular is just towering for me. And his commentary on the disc is perhaps my all time favorite. I will have to revisit both soon in his honor.
I have also seen that interview and have watched "Superman" many, many times. Richard Donner was truly one of the great film directors of all time and a wonderful human being as well.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered the Superman UHD (was holding out for a more definitive version with both the theatrical version and the Donner Director Cut, but figured what the hell) Actually on Amazon they had an “only 20 left” warning, so maybe I’m not the only one

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
16 Blocks

I just watched this for the first time - one of the treats of missing things when they first come out is that you still have work to discover after the artist is no longer active.

There’s nothing particularly new here, but everything is executed perfectly. It’s a tight little thriller that doesn’t attempt to be more than it is, and I admired it’s straightforward approach. Donner handles his cast and his action sequences particularly well.

Nice action picture for a late night watch. Enjoyed and appreciated.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just watched this for the first time - one of the treats of missing things when they first come out is that you still have work to discover after the artist is no longer active.

There’s nothing particularly new here, but everything is executed perfectly. It’s a tight little thriller that doesn’t attempt to be more than it is, and I admired it’s straightforward approach. Donner handles his cast and his action sequences particularly well.

Nice action picture for a late night watch. Enjoyed and appreciated.
I agree completely. I didn't catch up with it until it came out on home video, and I was greatly entertained by the surprises and suspense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks