What's new

REVENGE OF THE SITH DVD Review up and running...(let the flood begin)(SNEAK LOOK POST #146)... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
True...there is NO WAY Gary Oldman could do over-the-top better than a random SW sound mixer. I mean, he doesn't have the background for it :rolleyes:

No offense, but Oldman would have done something better, though admittedly Grievous was a lame character from the script on.

Take care,
Chuck

Patrick H.

Second Unit
General Grievous, as written and performed in the cartoons (particularly by Bender himself, John DiMaggio), was one scary badass. The movie version was a goofball joke. Even before Obi-Wan dismantled him with ease, I had seriously a hard time believing that lame-o had killed enough Jedi to get all those lightsabers.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
Heh, General Grievous is probably my favorite "second tier" villain of the whole saga. Not because he's scary, I just think he's a heck of a lot of fun. Every frame he's on screen just has a cool energy to it. His voice works perfectly for me, his animation is incredibly convincing, and the visuals of him brandishing those four lightsabers is simply superb.

I could see it also being cool if he was more of the pitbull from the cartoons but his current incarnation is just as entertaining as a mustache twirling trash talker. :) I particularly like how he disses Anakin in the beginning by addressing Obi-Wan first when Anakin is completely blocking Grievous' view of him. :cool:

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I can certainly see people's problems with Grievous considering that they hyped him up to be this ultimate Jedi advisory and yet when we get to him, he's a cowardly villian.

Personally, I just think Grievous is cool. He could've been more but at the same time, he's just a fun villian. I think I actually like his cowardly ways. But, I will say that Obi-Wan mostly gets his butt handed to him when he and Grievous go one on one in that fist fight. I particularly liked that segment of their confrontation.

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

Your sarcasm is duly noted. However, considering the lines written for Grievous, I can't imagine any other voice actor doing a better job given the confinements of the character.

After thinking about it a while, I do see the point that perhaps the lameness of Grievous's combat ability is probably intentional (made by another poster). Then again, maybe I'm just spoiled after Darth Maul. ;)

Regards,

- S.D.

BillyR

Agent
TheForce.net is reporting that Jim Ward may have hinted at some kind of promotion where there will be sleeves that hold all 3 Prequel DVDs. I wonder which store will be having this promotion?

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

Ah, that famous McCallum wit. Surely a joke...
The Whill rumour has been around since TESB. Lucas has pretty much said anything to do with Yoda's origins are off-limits. Prior to the prequels, I had hoped that figured into the first three, but unfortunately, it does not.
The Whill line is from the comic adaption and it is quite curious. I am tempted to believe that it is an invention of the adaptions writer to make his mark in the SW universe by linking in this controversial and taboo subject. Adding to the mystery is the same dialogue and exchange is different in the novelization, with no mention of the Whills. I tend to go with the novel as Matt Stover spent time with Lucas going over the script prior soon after the initial draft was completed. Lucas wanted Stover to bring out certain themes he would not get to in the movie.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I think Yoda's quick aside to Obi-Wan about having something for him to "study" while in exile is, perhaps, the weakest and most confusing element of the prequels since Anakin's immaculate conception.

It will strike viewers who actually watch the films in order as fairly odd that Jedi suddenly vanish when they die with only a confusing line from Yoda as justification. As it is, it actually makes it sound like Qui-Gon was an apprentice of Plaugies (or whatever) and figured out the dark secret of cheating death.

If Lucas was really concerned about the saga fitting together as a whole, I'd say a few lines to better explain the concept of the Force ghost were warranted.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

I would have rather seen more exposition on whatever it was the Sith needed "revenge" for. Not that I don't know from non-film sources, but it would have been better if there was something more about it in the films themselves.

A FOTR-style prologue at the beginning of Episode I showing the Sith getting almost wiped out by the Jedi however many thousand years ago would have been nice. Even an extra comment or two about it from Palpatine in ROTS could have done the trick.

Shaun

Second Unit
I think Grievous's combat abilities were seriously diminished due to the damage inflicted from Mace Windu on the final episode of the Clone Wars.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
OK, one thing I don't get about Grevious...

How is he able to survive leaping off the bride of the ship into deep space at the beginnig of the movie, when later on it is revealed that he has a functioning cardiovascualr system?

Sorry if this has been asked already...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

That sac holding his organs could be airtight and the parts used to build him could have protected his internal organs. Or maybe his alien physiology isn't affected by it.

If those explanations don't work for you, how about it's a Star Wars movie. :)

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

And if you want an "in world" precedent for the breathing in space just remember the deep space mynocks and space slug from ESB.

Or just assume that his cybernetic life support system allows him to hold his breath for a long time.

Or that yes, its a Star Wars movie we're talking about here. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I hated Grievous. The movie could have been improved by expanding Dooku's role and making him the villain that had to be defeated to end the war.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

Just FYI, the Whills have been an element of the SW universe since the original 1977 George Lucas story, as the Journal of the Whills is quoted at the beginning.

HarryB

Auditioning
I find it odd that an "A list" title like this had such a similar sound problem that occured with such frequency in so many in theaters all across the country. I can second an earlier poster saying that the auditorium I saw the movie in had the volume cranked. Unfortunately for those of you waiting for the DVD....actually being able to hear the movie didn't make it any better. :)

ShaunG

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I thought the only problem with General Grievous was the fact that he coughed all the time which in my mind made him a weak character.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I don't understand. Why would Dooku need four arms to expand his role? If you mean because his arms were cut off, obviously things would have to be changed to make it work without Grievous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks