What's new

REVENGE OF THE SITH DVD Review up and running...(let the flood begin)(SNEAK LOOK POST #146)... (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
There'd be no reason for Neeson to refuse to do the voice over work other than he couldn't schedule it in. On many occasions he has commented how much he enjoyed working on "The Phantom Menace" so I don't think there is any ill will between Neeson and Lucas or Star Wars. Hell, Alec Guiness hated Star Wars yet cameoed for Empire and Jedi.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, this isn't the case. There were 3 differences beyond the alternate take with the robotic hand at the end.

1. Added dialogue after Anakin's confession about the Tusken Raiders.

2. Jango Fett's pack shoots sparks after he gets trampled by the arena beast.

3. Padme struggles more when she comes to after falling out of the ship (I think the first 'yes' was changed to 'uh-huh').

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Right after Anakin slaughters the Tusken Raiders and the shot cuts to Yoda meditating, you hear Liam Neeson's "Anakin...Anakin" from EP1 and then "Noooooo" which is supposed to be him but clearly doesn't sound like him at all.

Sev Bragg

Stunt Coordinator
Seriously though, Has Liam ever yelled NO! In a movie before? Because my voice sounds different when I yell a long NOOOOOO! Than it normally does.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
The "Noooooo" is Hayden Christensen, I'm almost 100 percent sure of it.

I know they didn't get Neeson, but it'd have been nice to get the guy they had doing voiceover in Clone Wars and the Episode III Videogame to read a couple lines if they REALLY wanted it in there. He sounds pretty much dead-on like Neeson. I know word has gotten out that they tried to save the scene by seeing what Burtt could do with his own impersonation or whatever, but I'd think it'd have occured to SOMEBODY that the guy they have doing pitch perfect voiceover for Neeson in the cartoons might be worth ringing up.

Sev Bragg

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see anything clearly about it. Neeson has done a lot of movies, surely he yelled NO!! In at least one of them and they could have easily put it in AOTC.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I always thought it was Liam's voice that said "Anakin" and Hayden yelling "Nooooooo".

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

That's what I've always thought. In fact, looking at it that way, it may be Yoda seeing Vader's "Nooooo" at the end of ROTS.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wow! I can't wait to see the new Yoda, that puppet has always been just God aweful! I've often wondered why in the hell George approved it in the first place! :confused:

BTW, i've always wanted to know this, what species of creature is master Yoda anyway? Is it revealed in any of the SW publications and if so what is the name of his people and what planet do they come from?

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
people have speculated Yoda is a Whill, as referenced in the intro to the Star Wars novels, "From the Journal of the Whills," but no, it's never been said what Yoda is. And apparently, it never will, unless it's addressed in the TV series, which would be a rather cool thing.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I'd rather not know, the same as how Boba Fett is just a little bit 'less cool' now that his backstory isn't something my imagination can do better with anymore. Or how the full effect of the Wampa was dimished by showing alot more of him in the SEs.

But it's interesting that the most fascinating non-human character of the SW universe remains a mystery as far as his origins are concerned. Maybe Lucas just could never come up with something worthy.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I vaguely remember Rick McCallum somewhere in his Episode II commentary referring to Yoda as "Froglian" or something like that, but I had assumed he'd probably just made that up. I like the Whill idea better...much neater. Interestingly, the Whills were mentioned in that apparently never-recorded scene between Qui-Gon and Yoda...Qui-Gon refers to them as being the ones who taught him the secrets of eternal consciousness.

Regarding that scene, the "official version" just seems to make more sense than most of the other theories discussed. As I understood it, Neeson wasn't able to participate in Episode II due to the serious motorcycle accident he had around that time, so the brief dialogue snippet was a workaround. I fully expected to see him somewhere in Episode III, and was rather surprised and disappointed when he didn't turn up. However, the lack of that scene must have been deliberate, as they had options if Neeson was unavailable (he was doing several films during this timeframe) or did actually refuse to participate (which I seriously doubt was the case). I don't think any of this Ben Burtt voice-manipulation stuff is true, either...Lucasfilm has a whole range of sound-alike voice actors available. I think the decision was just made to drop the scene at an early point, since it wasn't entirely essential and leaves an element of surprise for the later films in the series. It WOULD have been a neat little mystical moment at the end of the film, though, especially since the prequels were rather thin on that whole aspect of the Jedi.

Of course, General Grievous wound up being voiced (not too successfully, IMO) by some animator, after Gary Oldman dropped out and a professional voice actor had done a much better job with him on the Clone Wars shorts, so who knows what sort of reasoning goes on behind the scenes?

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

Grievous was a one-dimensional, moustache-twirling villain (okay...he didn't have a moustache). I really can't see Goldman bringing anything to the over-the-top dialogue that Matthew Wood didn't offer.

If ROTS held any disappointments for me (and it didn't, for the most part), it would have to be Grievous. He was never quite the adversary the hype promised. Of course, his entire subplot in the movie is a bit of a red herring (who, along with Dooku, was simply made a pawn of Sidious's skillful manipulation), but I would liked to have seen a more cunning, crafty, and creepy villain. Greivous wasn't it.

Of course, Sidious more than made up for it in the 'bad guy' department.

Regards,

- S.D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks