What's new
World Wide Stereo

Revel B15a or SVS PB12–Ultra/2 (1 Viewer)

CriPPleR_HD

Auditioning
Real Name
Samuel Gonzalez
Hi all.

I am am about to pull the trigger on a brand new HT system for my new house. The only thing I am stuck on is a Sub.

Anyone have any experience with:

Revel B15a or SVS PB12–Ultra/2

The SVS PB12–Ultra/2 is $2,199, I can get the Revel for $2,220 with my speaker package.

My speaker system will consist of:

Focal 1027 Be
Focal 1000CC Be
Profile SR 908 Rears

The sub will be used mostly for movies since I will be listening to my music in 2ch stereo w/o a sub. My dimensions are 17' 11" x 15' 8"

Thanks in advance,

-Sam

728x90

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sam

For movies, the Ultra/2 should easily outgun the Revel. However, these 2 are not really comparable. My recommendation is a wood finish SVS PB-12 Plus/2 combined with a Velodyne SMS-1 equalizer. This combination will be about $2,000.

SVS is redoing the Ultra. The new Ultra will have a ~14 inch driver. The Plus series recently got new drivers that some say bring the performance so close to that of the current Ultra that perhaps now is not the best time to pick the Ultra/2 over the Plus/2.

CriPPleR_HD

Auditioning
Real Name
Samuel Gonzalez
Thanks for the heads up, Arthur.

The reason I was leaning towards the Revel was because of the EQ and software. It makes sense to look into the SVS PB-12 Plus/2 / Velodyne SMS-1combo which will be in my budget.

Will the new Ultra's have some sort of calibration like the Revel or the Velodyne? I am great at getting my speakers and surrounds at reference levels but when it come to subs I don't know the first thing about getting the sub flat etc.

Thanks again,

-Sam

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sam

My info on the new Ultra is limited to the driver size. I am sure that the new Ultra will have at least one PEQ, and perhaps more, as other makers are increasing their EQ capabilities. Rocket has their RDES (4-5 band). Just guessing, I'd say the new Ultra will have at least 3 band EQ.
For now, I think it will be really hard to eclipse the Plus/2 combined with the SMS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks