What's new

ReplayTV Component output (1 Viewer)

thomas_macka

Auditioning
hello all. I'm a first time poster.
I did my best to locate the answer to this question but it doesn't seem to have been addressed in this forum.

Here goes.

I just hooked up my ReplayTV 5060. I have a Panasonic HD ready TV fed by a Scientific Atlanta 3000(?) digital cable box with HD decoder.

Should I be able to record and or watch HD widescreen shows via my ReplayTV? Right now my setup currently won't do it (well, I should say that I can't view my HD channels through my ReplayTV).

Please note that the ReplayTV 5060 does not have component IN, only OUT.

Here is how I have my video system hooked up: coax from wall feeds my cable box which feeds the ReplayTV via Svideo cable, which feeds my TV via component and svideo.

Please provide some knowledge. Thanks very much!

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
No, you can't. There's a zenith set top tuner that records ota hd. An hd compatible tivo should be out by the end of the year.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As James wrote, you can’t today. And that Replay device will never record HD. However, it is probable that you can record an HD show in SD, assuming that your cable box will down convert 1080i & 720p to 480i. This will be possible if your cable box has both a set of component outputs and either S-Video or composite outputs. Run your component outputs to either your TV display or receiver (and then to the display) and the S-Video or composite outputs to your Replay device. Tune the cable box to a HD signal and select the composite or S-Video output and you should get a widescreen presentation recorded on your Replay device. It will be in SD, of course, but the format should be 16:9

I’m not sure exactly how this would work, as I am not familiar with your devices, but I do record 16:9 from HD transmissions on my S-Video VHS all the time. When you use this technique to record a 4:3 program from a digital signal, you get the side bars as a part of your recording.

Good luck.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This first-time poster's question might be of interest to anyone browsing the new PVR section, which is why I've moved it here.

jimmy~e

Agent
Good move! That was my situation exactly! I want info on the possible ability to record HDTV via cable and when that capability might arrive.

thomas_macka

Auditioning
Thanks guys!
That's one bit of info I need to determine how to use my second (and last) component input. My first slot is for my progressive scan dvd player.

Now that I know that my Replay unit can't display (or properly record)HD channels, I won't bother using my second component slot for it. UNLESS I find that using the progressive scan output of the Replay is noteably better than the S-video output, in which case I'll try to splice my TV component input slots so that I can hookup three devices.

Is that possible -- splicing component video cables? I don't see why not, but I've never seen a splicer-thingy at the store.

I think i've read on this forum that the difference between the component video and svideo for this type of source is not that great. any comments?

Thanks again folks!

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Tom: if you want to hook up all of them, just buy a video switcher. However, I can't imagine that it'll be any different looking, considering that cable tv is 480i anyway. It's just the replay's line doubler vs. your tv's.

You can set up the Relay to record HDTV down-converted to 480i. How easy/hard that is depends on your STB, and how much you are willing to work around the lack of sub-channel tuning control from the Replay. A down-converted HD picture is still much better than even a really good NTSC picture, and you can preserve the 16:9 A/R.

You should try the s-video v. component out of the Replay and see how it works for you. For my monitor, the component input is noticable better. Note that to do a fair test, you need to disable the component output when you test the s-video; although both can be active simultaneously, the Replay disables some filters that the s-video benefits from when component output is active.

thomas_macka

Auditioning
very good info. THanks James and Art!
I'm waiting for a reason to move my entertainment center away from the wall to do more testing. Soon, the repairman will be here, i'll do some messing around then and report back any useful observations.
tx again.
--Thomas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks