What's new

Reference Calibration Question and Confusion (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Jack, you should use #2, because the numbers on the volume dial are meaningless for calibration. For example, on my pioneer receiver, the numbers go from -90+ to 0. To get my front speaker at 75dB using the test tone, the volume dial would be at -27. If I set it to 0 on my machine, I'll blow my ears out among other things. If it were set up in a different room, it might be some number other than -27.

Then, I adjust every speaker to 75dB using test tones. At that point, I know that when my receiver is set to -27, the peak output will be 105dB.

That said, I usually listen in the -38 range or else I get complaints from my neighbors (I live in an apartment...for only 20 more days!!!!)

altan

Stunt Coordinator
Lance,

You calibrate so that what is recorded on the DVD to be heard at xxx dB SPL is produced by your system at that same xxx dB. When you "listen at reference" you get this behavior.

I find reference to be WAY LOUD. If you turn your volume knob -10dB from where you calibrated reference, then what is recorded on the DVD at yyy dB will be produced by your system at yyy-10dB.

I believe calibrating for reference really means nothing to most people since you should simply listen at the volume you enjoy.

However, say you really liked the sound level in a scene of a movie ("wow! that was loud but realistic!"). Without a reference calibration you couldn't tell people in any meaningful manner how loud the sound was. With a reference you could say (making up this movie):

"Guys! I watched Return of the Flight of the Monkeys last night at -10dB from reference and the sound in chapter 63 blew me out of my chair" and people would be able to reproduce exactly the SPL you heard by setting their system up to be -10dB from reference.

Hope this helps.

... Altan

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
LJ,

This depends on your room size and acoustics as well as the efficiency of your speakers. Chances are you won't need to cleanly reproduce these levels as you will probably find these levels too loud and very discomforting.
And don't worry about playing this level cleanly. Most HT's can't do this. It will take an aweful lot of money to get an HT to produce true reference levels cleanly in the typical room.

You can always test it out with a loud movie clip and find out if your receiver is stressing out.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
altan said:
...so in my setup I will clip around 84dB + 24dB = 108dB?
Sounds right. I should have mentioned that you may not be able to get much voltage at 75 dB. That is not very loud. But you seemed to have no trouble adapting the logic to a higher reference. Keep in mind that the 108 dB figure is approximate; it assumes an accurate specification on the amp, and is really only valid for the pink noise that you were playing to get the reference level. Acutal music or sound effects can likely go a little louder than noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks