What's new

"Red" Blu-ray Audio Comparisons (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hi,

I posted the discovery 3 weeks ago about the DD only track.

While it is disappointing, lest it become standard, the sound was adequate.

Loud and clear.

I enjoyed the movie.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The streaming version on Vudu has a Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack, even on the standard def version.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
OK, I spent about an hour comparing various scenes between RED movie-only version, and RED Special Edition. Even though we know the movie-only version has a slightly lower bitrate for its video encode, I could not tell a single bit of visual difference between the two. For video, I particularly paid attention to the spot where Bruce Willis pans around his neighborhood (just after 4 minutes into the movie). During this camera panning, the image goes soft. The effect is the same on both versions of the movie. Identical. As for audio, well, that is a different story.... The Special Edition's DTS-HD MA soundtrack is most definitely superior to the Dolby Digital soundtrack on the movie-only version. The difference is not what I would call huge, but my ears could easily detect it. On the DTS-HD MA track, bass was tighter and highs were brighter. I also found the DTS-HD MA track delivered better directionality and surround involvement. The sounds of breaking glass or of spent cartridge casings hitting the ground had better clarity.
Of particular note was when the roof over Bruce Willis' front porch collapsed near the beginning of the movie. On DD 5.1 track, there was no subwoofer involvement with the sound of the roof crashing down. On the DTS-HD MA track, there WAS subwoofer involvement but not to a large degree. The difference was relatively minor, but very noticeable. I did not watch the entire movie, but I suspect there would be other spots where subwoofer involvement would be a bit more aggressive on the DTS-HD MA track.
That said, if I had already purchased the movie-only version I don't think the difference in the audio would be enough to sway me to upgrade. If I were to rate the DTS-HD MA track as, say, an 8.5 on a scale of 10, I'd rate the DD 5.1 track as a 7.

But if I hadn't purchased either version, I definitely feel it's worth the extra few bucks to get the Special Edition's DTS-HD MA track. After all, isn't the entire point ultimate picture AND sound?

For the record, my gear: Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH receiver, Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers (L & R), Paradigm CC-350 (center), Paradigm ADP-170 (surrounds), and Velodyn VA1012 subwoofer.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
After watching this twice I can tell you the real reason to get the special edition.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Robert Baer's commentary.[/COLOR]

Seriously.

Listen to it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk

The streaming version on Vudu has a Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack, even on the standard def version.

Wow. how did I miss that Neil was back after nearly 6 years.

Welcome Back Neil.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks indeed, Mark!

At this point, guess I'll just wait for a nice sale on the SE version -- considering how these things go nowadays, that will inevitably happen, and probably no later than the next BF shopping season, which is just as well for me since I could spend the time catching up on my backlog (amongst a great many other good things), including very recent purchases of some classics like All About Eve and The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks