What's new

Recommended Player? (1 Viewer)

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone recommend a Blu-Ray player and any necessary accessories or cables from the following page:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/0...s/sq/desc/pn/2

1.) I am looking for really good quality, Price under $1,500, and it needs to be bought from my company from the link I provided. I was considering the hybrid HD/Blu-Ray player, though I am guessing the quality is not as good as just a stand-alone Blu-Ray player?

2.) Are there any other models out there that are better than what is available through this site?

Thanks for any help!!!!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, unless you are getting a very good deal, I would stil consider the PS3 from someone else. As to what is best on the at page, I will leave that to others.

I hate to say this about the format, BUT, if it were ME buying a blu-ray player at this stage of the game, I would wait a few months until the new profile hit the stores.

I actually have not read one review on that LG dual format player. If my price range was that high and it had good reviews, I would probably go with that.

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys.

What are the "new profiles" that are coming out? What does this mean? Any idea when this will actually happen?

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
All BD players manufactured November 1st and beyond will have to comply to the 1.1 compliant level. Basically, it requires certain technical specs, including buffer memory to support higher end features that current players may or may not be able to display. (The PS3 most likely will be able to, but even that is not certain.)

There is even more in the future for BD, which I believe is moving towards their 2.0 spec, which will require even MORE onboard memory, as well as mandatory ethernet ports for online connectivity.

If you worry that you might not be able to fiddle with a special feature or two in the future, then you are better off waiting. If you're like me, and will enjoy the movie first and foremost, this isn't a bad time at all to make the jump.

As someone has already mentioned the PS3, let me tell you that I went that route a a non-gamer, and I have been completely satisfied. It's quite an advanced piece of hardware, connects WIRELESS through my router (no messy CAT cables running to the TV area), and also serves as my Music Jukebox with 10GB of my favorie tunes at my finger tips. My ONLY complaint is that it is contolled remotely via bluetooth, meaning my kick-ass Logitech still has to have a brother sitting on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks