What's new

Recommend Me Some Muzak! (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Some members also formed a band called "Sparta" they have 3 albums out now. its pretty decent stuff also. At the Drive-In is a great band too. I have all their stuff but I think that "Relationship of Command" is probably their best "whole" efforts IMO

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Sparta is good, but not quite as good as The Mars Volta. Sparta is one of the best alternative rock bands out there today though.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Today, its Indie. And nothing beats Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire & Built to Spill.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Careful with "nothing beats." :) I recommend The Elected, Ra Ra Riot (they only have a demo EP out right now, but their album should be out in a month or two), Regina Spektor, Feist, Asobi Seksu, Stars, Muse and Band of Horses. Better yet, just listen to WOXY. They have a Vintage channel as well for the old farts. ;)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
As far as indie goes, check out Modest Mouse, The Shins, and The Decemberists.

Another good album that's worth checking out is The Good The Bad And The Queen (it's just the name of the album, the band does not have a name). It's a collaboration between Damon Albarn (lead singer of Blur and Gorillaz), The Clash bassist Paul Simonon, former Verve guitarist Simon Tong, Tony Allen, and producer Danger Mouse (produced Demon Days by Gorillaz, DangerDoom, and St. Elsewhere by Gnarls Barkley). It's a great album that has all kinds of influences.
http://www.thegoodthebadandthequeen.com/

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Oh man, I forgot about that album, I still haven't heard it yet. I loved the Verve, speaking of which, the Verve isn't new, but if you like Floyd and Porcupine Tree, you may like the Verve. Richard Ashcroft (the singer for the Verve)'s solo stuff is alright but start with the Verve first.

On another style. If you kind of like the newer Deftones stuff, check out Chino's side project Team Sleep. its very ambient sounding, for the most part I wouldn't compare it to Deftones, but perhaps only a few Deftones songs from their newer efforts. I think you can hear clips of them on their Myspace page

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks, guys. The friend who turned me on to Mars Volta actually warned me away from ATDI and Sparta. They may just not be to my taste.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I checked out the page for The Good, the Bad, and the Queen. Not really my bag musically, but that web page is astonishingly well-designed. Everything on one page, with a music player in one corner (you can listen to all the songs, in their entirety!) and a bunch of articles that can be read using Macromedia Flashpaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks