What's new

Receivers with AC-3 RF Input (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
You laserdisc fanatics have gotten my juices flowing. I'm looking on ebay right now for a good LD player and some discs. Now I have a quandary: my HK AVR 320 does not have an AC-3 RF input. I know that I could get a demodulator, but they seem expensive. So the cogs in my brain start turning. And what do you know--my dad's Sony STR-DE915 has a AC-3 RF input (and I thought it was just a coax input...).
Thus my question: What other receivers have AC-3 RF input? I'm looking for cheaper than a demodulator, no high-end stuff. Now, back to finding that "Faces" box set...:)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Considering you can get a demod for 120 or so (Sony and a Yamaha that seems rather common), I doubt you'll find too many used receivers of any quality for less. The lower end receivers rarely included an AC-3 input even when LD's were more common. I'd certainly check a few 5-6 yo Pioneers though I don't have a list of numbers.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jesse, you could hunt out a VSX-99. It can be had cheap. It's a 1995 model. You'd give up having newer stuff you might want like a 5.1 input and DTS. It only has two digital inputs, one for AC-RF and one for straight DD. Neither input will handle PCM. The straight DD input is locked to the satelite video input. At the time, Pioneer thought satelite TV would be the next DD source. You could get one for $300 - $450, proably...?
I think one of the best head units for LD is the Marantz AV9000 pre and their top of the line reciever from that year, who's model # I cannot remember. With it you get the AC-3 input plus 4 more digital inputs, 5.1 input, and the RC-2000 type remote.
The Sony ES 9000 pre also has an AC-3 input. The Elite VSX 29 & 39 do too. Used prices on them will be falling in the next year, certainly. You could buy an Elite SP-99D surround-sound processor. It's an audio only pre. It has an RF in, and 2 other digital inputs that do DD or PCM. It has has two analog inputs too. It has no digital output but you could plug it's 5.1 analog inputs into the 5.1 inputs of a head unit. You could buy one of these for $250 - $350 from what I've seen on E-bay. It's a good unit. My 7 year old SP-99D has never been to the shop.
The C-72 analog pre was made to go with the 99D. It has S-video switching, a phono input, and all the other inputs and tape loops you might want. The 72 has two sets of analog outputs. One set is controlled by the unit's volume knob. The other set are line-level to send out to the SP-99D's analog input. Only one of the two outputs can be active. The 72 & 99 were made for each other. They make a nice pair, they have for me. You'd have to get an amp though, no power here. I don't know what 72's sell for on E-bay? They cost $800 back in '95.
You could also use the Sony ES or Denon add-on DD units that have RF on-board. I can't remember their model #'s. I know the Sony has an optical output that could be run into the main head unit. I can't remember if the Denon had a digital out. Both do have 5.1 analog outputs if you wanted to use them.
Those are some of my best ideas. I like's the Marantz AV9000 best. I'm wanting to think that it's reciever equivalent is either SR-14 or 18...? Best wishes! :)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Just my two cents, upgrade to a new even better receiver, i know one of the Onkyo models has AC-3RF input. plus all kinds of other things :D

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your input, I'm searching stuff out now.

Just in case, though, I checked and precisionlaserdisc.com is working on an on-board demodulator that I might look in to as well, since they will sell it cheap when you get a RF or Digital out mod.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I would strongly recommend looking around for a standalone demodulator. Why? Because then you can change either your LD player or your receiver at some future date without losing your ability to demodulate the AC-3 RF signal from a laser disc. If the demodulating capability is built into the player or the receiver, you're pretty much forced to keep that component.

M.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I'd go for the stand alone demodulator too, that is unless you are willing to upgrade to a more expensive receiver which has AC3 onboard.

Sanjay

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i happen to use the denon avd-2000 for my demodulator. found it on ebay for about $125, although it can be had for cheaper. also does dolby digital 5.1 decoding, if you dont have a receiver that will do it. no dts though. you will prob spend about that much for a stand alone demodulator anyway.
Now, back to finding that "Faces" box set
i'm not sure if its related, but the faces box set doesnt have dolby digital, only the SE does. i'm not sure if thats what you were implying there, just checking :)
CJ

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I would concur with the recommendation for a stand alone demodulator. The Marantz SR-18 (not the SR-18EX) also had a demodulator built in. If you are interested, I might know where to get a reasonable deal (a good customer of a local stereo shop was 93 and passed away) on one if it is still available. With such a set-up though, you have the other features, e.g. surround modes, built into the receiver and that is what you are stuck with regardless of what comes out unless you elect to get an outboard unit and sell the receiver and upgrade.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
My CLD-D505 should be here tommorrow. Why, oh why do they torture us with tracking information? It's almost better to leave the status a mystery. Easier on the mind.
I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne. Let my armies be the rocks and the trees, and the birds in the sky.
It should be accompanied by a near mint Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade disc, Christ. BTW is that a nick or are you the Second Coming? ;)
I've started adding demodulators to my ebay watch list, just in case. I've started searching for surround processors with RF input as well.
On the other hand , I'm seeing a Sony, same model as my dad's, on ebay for cheap, I might go for it, since it also has an LD specific RF input. Another plus to having another receiver is to use it to drive the rear surrounds in my 6.1/7.1 setup (the HK has preouts).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks